Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New user approvals

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: New user approvals

I'd put my bet on a rival team setting up a spam system. I'm not a tech wizard, but probably not difficult to generate a great many fake accounts from randomized locations behind a VPN?

Seems odd though, you'd think they would rather spam with ND and MN towns. Maybe VPNs don't work that way, idk.

EDIT not a rival team, a fan of a rival team. My bad.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Awesome, I’ve never conversed with a bot from Tra Vinh…maybe

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    I'd put my bet on a rival team setting up a spam system. I'm not a tech wizard, but probably not difficult to generate a great many fake accounts from randomized locations behind a VPN?

Seems odd though, you'd think they would rather spam with ND and MN towns. Maybe VPNs don't work that way, idk.

EDIT not a rival team, a fan of a rival team. My bad.
    I believe that spammers start by getting a list of vbulletin site addresses. Then they try to register all of them because the script would be the same. Apparently, when they buy these lists, they also get the answers to each site's security question... I probably should change that to a math word problem.

did PrairieChickenBison make the cut??
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    did PrairieChickenBison make the cut??
    Normally, I'd approve a user name like that right away without checking IPs and stuff... but I don't see the user name so they might need to retry.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Done! I kept track of the locations for the last 35 IP address locations for "users waiting for confirmation":

Anastasiyevka (2)
    Yaounde
    Paris
    Amsterdam
    Kaluga
    Los Angeles
    Waltham
    Hanoi
    Grand Forks (approved)
    Montreal
    Cebu City
    Karachi
    Los Angeles
    Washington DC
    Fargo (approved)
    Sargodha
    Mumbai
    Ahmedabad
    Fargo (approved)
    Tokyo
    Phoenix
    Fort Collins (approved)
    Noida
    Tra Vinh
    Hanoi
    Fargo (approved)
    Perth AUS (approved - but I have my doubts)
    Olongapo
    Hai Phong
    Paris
    Basi
    Istanbul
    Saint Petersburg
    Plymouth (approved)

I don't reject new users just based on their location, but if their username is gibberish, their username has been registered on a lot of boards recently, if the ISP sounds like it'd be one a spammer would like, and/or the IP address shows up as being flagged as a spammer... it's very time consuming which is all the more reason I should stay on top of the user registrations.
    Spouse grew up in cebu. Suspicious
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

VirginiaBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Done! I kept track of the locations for the last 35 IP address locations for "users waiting for confirmation": ..... I don't reject new users just based on their location, but if their username is gibberish, their username has been registered on a lot of boards recently, if the ISP sounds like it'd be one a spammer would like, and/or the IP address shows up as being flagged as a spammer... it's very time consuming which is all the more reason I should stay on top of the user registrations.
    Yes it is. I know from experience. Thank you for what you do!
    You wanta play football, any school will do; ... You wanta learn football, NDSU is for you!

BisonHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    Spouse grew up in cebu. Suspicious
    I would have approved them all except one.
    Grand Forks
    you mess with the ^Bison^ you get the horns

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I believe that spammers start by getting a list of vbulletin site addresses. Then they try to register all of them because the script would be the same. Apparently, when they buy these lists, they also get the answers to each site's security question... I probably should change that to a math word problem.
    Ah, that makes sense. Don't you guys have a list of a few dozen security questions? I always assumed sites would do that and pick one at random.

Normally, I'd approve a user name like that right away without checking IPs and stuff... but I don't see the user name so they might need to retry.
    MrBurns.jpg

NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?