Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Off topic: Ideal size of a new NDSU football stadium?

Default Re: Off topic: Ideal size of a new NDSU football stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Who the fuck goes for a fourth down on their own 20 when they have the lead?
    Someone who knows they are about to lose

thebigund is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

100k or bust

Quote Originally Posted by thebigund View Post
    100k or bust
    100K with an expansion possibility to 300K. For in the future when we absorb the U of M.
    From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
    Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If it were me, I'd design a 25-28K facility with full seating on the sidelines and only a modest amount of seating on one endzone, none on the other. In doing so, the structure would span fully across the dang thing, rather than having stupid columns inboard on the corners of the field. That clear span would allow easy expansion in the future with a minimal amount of disruption while the thing is being worked on. You could do most of the construction for an expansion and then stitch it together over the course of 4-6 months during the off-season. This type of structure would allow for expansion up to 50K in the unlikely scenario that we need that but would also look right (if designed well) with every phase in between.

BAM.
    Insert something clever here...

30k would likely be more than enough. For reference, Martin Stadium at WSU is like 35k. Not that we should strive to be WSU, just using it for a size comparison. I think Troy's stadium is 30k. Hell, ASU decreased the capacity of their stadium down to 50k and it's one of the most populous campuses in the nation and in a metro of 5 million people. I think anything more than 30-35k would be excessive given decreasing enrollment and lower attendance in college football in general (with notable exceptions).

I think anything much less that 30k is a waste since the dome is already 19k, building a whole new stadium to add 5-6k people doesn't seem worth it unless the dome is falling apart and needs to be replaced anyway.

28-30k. That would give us more reasonably priced season tickets that more could afford even it its entry level until they have more discretionary spending money..

And it has to have a roof. Fuck that half roof shit.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Someone who knows they are about to lose
    Correct.

I would have also accepted, someone who paces the sidelines like he pooped his pants.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    45,000 SEMI-ENCLOSED outdoor stadium (keep wind out)

4 corporate sponsors get each corner for $50 million over 25 years. (they can put products, have a full exhibit for every event/concert there too)

then raise $100million via teammakers

this would be easy, let NDSU architect/engineers build it saving money
    Yeah since students have the licensing (which would be required for a building of this nature) and insurance to do that...

You're stretching if any corporate sponsor is going to split the sponsorship after paying $50 million. How much does fargodome get now for the corner sponsorships?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    If it were me, I'd design a 25-28K facility with full seating on the sidelines and only a modest amount of seating on one endzone, none on the other. In doing so, the structure would span fully across the dang thing, rather than having stupid columns inboard on the corners of the field. That clear span would allow easy expansion in the future with a minimal amount of disruption while the thing is being worked on. You could do most of the construction for an expansion and then stitch it together over the course of 4-6 months during the off-season. This type of structure would allow for expansion up to 50K in the unlikely scenario that we need that but would also look right (if designed well) with every phase in between.

BAM.
    ^ this. I'd add that there should be no box seats unless they are at the top rows. Club seating underneath the stands is the way to go.

I'd go with a semi covered 30k stadium with expansion ability. The biggest current need is high end suites to get those corporate dollars. I think with modern building technology you can make it much more comfortable for the fans even in November. Think heated seating, radiant heaters overhead and along concourses utilizing natural gas. Try to keep it on campus or as close as possible while maintaining ample tailgating areas. Probably only a couple home games a year in November anyway if we go FBS.