Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Saban Vs NDSU

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Nick Saban Vs NDSU

At Alabama, he won 6 titles in 17 seasons, for a 0.353 winning rate. Between Alabama and LSU he won 7 titles in 23 seasons as head coach, or 0.304.

Since 1965 NDSU has played 54 seasons of post season eligible football, for a .315 winning rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Nick Saban Vs NDSU

Let's extrapolate that down to the D1 era for NDSU, with 9 titles in 20 years, or 0.45 winning rate.

My son heard a stat this morning: Saban had nearly 2:1 ratio of players who went round 1 draft versus total losses.

I guess he could recruit eh?
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    Let's extrapolate that down to the D1 era for NDSU, with 9 titles in 20 years, or 0.45 winning rate.
    Well, NDSU wasn't allowed into the playoffs for four of those years because of the transition rules so the winning rate is .5625.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Well, NDSU wasn't allowed into the playoffs for four of those years because of the transition rules so the winning rate is .5625.
    Good point.
    I still can't understand the rationale of such a rule in regards to moving up? Totally makes sense if dropping down.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Good point.
    I still can't understand the rationale of such a rule in regards to moving up? Totally makes sense if dropping down.
    It's a deterrent to keep too many teams from making the jump. Similar to the 1-year ineligibility rule that existed for player transfers. Based on the number of transfers that have occurred since that restriction was removed I would say it was a pretty major deterrent. NIL has only made it worse. If they didn't have this deterrent I imagine even more D2 schools would be trying to move up. Same thing with the bowl limitation in FBS that JMU and JSU appealed and lost.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    It's a deterrent to keep too many teams from making the jump. Similar to the 1-year ineligibility rule that existed for player transfers. Based on the number of transfers that have occurred since that restriction was removed I would say it was a pretty major deterrent. NIL has only made it worse. If they didn't have this deterrent I imagine even more D2 schools would be trying to move up. Same thing with the bowl limitation in FBS that JMU and JSU appealed and lost.
    Instance #1,001 where the NCAA shows its true colors. The student athletes are the direct receivers of any sort of punishment, enforcement or disincentive.

Moving up? Athletes don’t get a postseason
    Cheated? Athletes lose scholarships
    Transferring? Coaches and administrators do it freely while athletes get a narrow window and only recently one “free” transfer
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Good point.
    I believe the rule is there because different divisions have lower eligibility for athletes or something like that. After five years, anyone who could have been eligible to play D2 but not D1 would presumably have used all of their individual eligibility by then
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    It makes no sense as a deterrent unless schools are moving up for FCS football (spoiler: It's almost always basketball.)

This is the kind of not-well-thought-out stuff that makes the NCAA look like a bunch of officious morons. It really bugged the hell out of me when NDSU athletes couldn't compete at the NCAA track meets, for example.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    It makes no sense as a deterrent unless schools are moving up for FCS football (spoiler: It's almost always basketball.)

This is the kind of not-well-thought-out stuff that makes the NCAA look like a bunch of officious morons. It really bugged the hell out of me when NDSU athletes couldn't compete at the NCAA track meets, for example.
    I think it actually makes a lot of sense. If you want to limit crazy movement you need to find ways to make it less appealing. They could do what they have done for FBS and add a huge fee. Or do like some conferences do and add an exit fee. I like the post-season ban because it doesn't cost the school any money directly, but it makes them think long and hard if the move is worthwhile. There are all kinds of incentives and disincentives for many things in life. This is just another example.