Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summit At-Large Bid?

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Summit At-Large Bid?

SDSU is still getting votes in the AP Top 25 poll. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

This late in the season, does that provide a substantial argument for them earning at at-large bid to the NCAA tournament if they don't win the Summit Tournament? I think the votes warrant an at-large bid, but I doubt the selection committee would see it that way. I guess any loss in the Summit Tourney would drop them from #37ish to to team #70 or #75, even though any high major receiving votes now would probably not drop that far by a conference tourney loss.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Summit At-Large Bid?

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    SDSU is still getting votes in the AP Top 25 poll. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

This late in the season, does that provide a substantial argument for them earning at at-large bid to the NCAA tournament if they don't win the Summit Tournament? I think the votes warrant an at-large bid, but I doubt the selection committee would see it that way. I guess any loss in the Summit Tourney would drop them from #37ish to to team #70 or #75, even though any high major receiving votes now would probably not drop that far by a conference tourney loss.
    A high major wouldn't lose a conference tournament game to a team ranked as low as another Summit team.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_433_Men.html - they do have wins over Washington state and Nevada top 100 wins at this time.

They don't have any top 50 wins which they really need to get an at large berth.

They did lose at Idaho (ranked which is #315).
    They play at Oral and KC this weekend. I think they lose one of those two games.

Doubtful theyd get in. Probably be in discussion at least if they were to win out and lose in the title game

It does show one of the possibilities - have a dominant Summit regular season Champ, and then they lose in the finals for 2 teams to get in.

SDSU also could have been helped by Oral Roberts carrying over more of their momentum from last season’s Sweet 16 run. They were only 6-5 non-conference this year, 9-2 or 10-1 would have been helpful.

NDSU could really have helped there also by having a better non-conference record. (5-4 DI games, close loss to Las Vegas, clueless against Creighton, bad loss to Montana State) With the veteran team the Bison had/have the potential was there for some better wins than what they got.

That coulda/woulda been the two dominant team approach that the women’s teams are currently using if either ORU or NDSU played up to their best-case scenario.

In the future Western Illinois and Kansas City look helpful in this regard, plus St Thomas will get up to speed in a hurry. St Thomas currently a 315 NET ranking, so if/when they improve that will help the conference average.

The last mock NCAA seeds I looked at this week showed the Jackrabbits as a #13

Umm no!!!!
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    It does show one of the possibilities - have a dominant Summit regular season Champ, and then they lose in the finals for 2 teams to get in.

SDSU also could have been helped by Oral Roberts carrying over more of their momentum from last season’s Sweet 16 run. They were only 6-5 non-conference this year, 9-2 or 10-1 would have been helpful.

NDSU could really have helped there also by having a better non-conference record. (5-4 DI games, close loss to Las Vegas, clueless against Creighton, bad loss to Montana State) With the veteran team the Bison had/have the potential was there for some better wins than what they got.

That coulda/woulda been the two dominant team approach that the women’s teams are currently using if either ORU or NDSU played up to their best-case scenario.

In the future Western Illinois and Kansas City look helpful in this regard, plus St Thomas will get up to speed in a hurry. St Thomas currently a 315 NET ranking, so if/when they improve that will help the conference average.

The last mock NCAA seeds I looked at this week showed the Jackrabbits as a #13
    Potential was there but we were missing Sam he is glue
    TRUST THE PROCESS

SDSU would have to be projecting on the 9-10 seed line right now to be able to sustain a conference tournament loss (since any remaining loss would be a bad loss) without dropping out of the field and they're on the 12-13 line from most everything I've seen. Even if they win out and get the auto it doesn't seem likely they rise above a #12.

will never happen in our lifetime
    wouldn't it be nice to be in a 2-3 bid league?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

ORU was the last team Out in 2012. So certainly possible to get 2 bids at some point.