Page 13 of 126 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021-2022 Season

Default Re: 2021-2022 Season

Henningson drops a 7-5 decision, despite getting two takedowns. Encouraging match.

Big match for March here to end it, and he gets a quick takedown.

March with a really good 6-0 in over 2x national qualifier and #23 ranked Spann.

His best weekend since opening weekend last year

Nice to follow the updates. Thanks Big Bird.

Super encouraged by 133/141 and 184. Henningson has competed well this road trip I'm ok with seeing what kind of steps he can make. Like big bird said 149 is a tough matchup right now. I'm definitely higher on jvm than most people but I trust these coaches.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Portlandbison View Post
    Super encouraged by 133/141 and 184. Henningson has competed well this road trip I'm ok with seeing what kind of steps he can make. Like big bird said 149 is a tough matchup right now. I'm definitely higher on jvm than most people but I trust these coaches.
    Is JVM injured or is Sax just the guy at 149 now?

I dont know whats going on. Last we saw of him was against cal baptist where he got a pin in a less than impressive appearance. I should have added I trust these coaches to get Sax to a point where he won't look completely overmatched like he did at some points this weekend.

Overall, I thought the road trip turned out very well.
    125- Henningson looks improved over last year and like a step up over Evens. Needs to get better on the mat, as he's been ridden pretty well and hasn't gotten to any turns. Doesn't look like an NCAA qualifier right now, but hoping he improves with more matches.
    133- March had his best weekend since the opening matchups last year. If he's able to keep his level of aggressiveness at this level, he'll be very good. When he's passive, he's ineffective. He should re-appear in the rankings this week, which is crazy considering he lost against Augustana last week.
    141- Dylan wrestled well and looks like he's taken a step forward this year. He is more effective on top and able to get to tilts better than in the past. Would like to see him continue to improve on finishing his shots.
    149- With Parker and Henningson in the lineup, probably the biggest hole. Sax needs a way to score consistently, and he hasn't shown that ability yet. He doesn't have a good shot or attempt from neutral and he struggles on bottom. On top, he is a better rider than turner, which isn't enough to overcome his lack of offense. I'd like to see JVM back in the lineup. With Peterson and Drexler coming in next year around this weight, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Radenz get a shot this year either.
    157- Franek looks like an All American at a very tough eight. Just get through the regular season healthy.
    165- Roller coaster match against Buffalo, but 3 pins is a great result. In some of these matches, I'd like to see him working on his leg attacks. If he's going to end up an All American, he'll likely need to convert a shot in a big spot.
    174- Brenner is wrestling well right now. He looks like an NCAA qualifier to me and Habisch just doesn't look like he's quite on Brenner's level, but is very quality depth.
    184- Parker is only going to get better and I think he can qualify for NCAAs this year. He'll need to notch some quality wins going forward, but he's solid. Biggest thing for him is improving his setups. If he can, he'll maximize his quickness and convert his shots at a much higher rate. Right now, he's too often not using a setup and he's wasting energy on shots that don't have much of a chance.
    197- Pentz is very solid, but I think he's in the tier below All American status, more in the 15-25 range. He's so strong and effective when he controls the ties, just needs to get the gas tank a little better and keep improving on shot defense, which is probably his biggest weakness. His leg attacks aren't super impressive, but when he goes from his ties, they work.
    HWT- I know he took a tough loss vs Buffalo, but I think Metz has been showing much better of late. He's been more aggressive, much much better on top, not forcing throws, and just more confident. If he keeps wrestling like this, he could be a top 15-20 guy, and with his throwing ability, that would make him a fringe AA candidate.

The guys from the UNI open struggled quite a bit. Schumm needs to get on the attack more and try to use his heads, hands, and hips to defend shots, rather than let guys get in deep on his legs and then scrambling. Mora needs to be more confident and aggressive from neutral. He also doesn't have a turn on top, so he's going to need to be able to consistently get a takedown to win. Watts looks like a 133 wrestling 141 and got overpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Overall, I thought the road trip turned out very well.
    125- Henningson looks improved over last year and like a step up over Evens. Needs to get better on the mat, as he's been ridden pretty well and hasn't gotten to any turns. Doesn't look like an NCAA qualifier right now, but hoping he improves with more matches.
    133- March had his best weekend since the opening matchups last year. If he's able to keep his level of aggressiveness at this level, he'll be very good. When he's passive, he's ineffective. He should re-appear in the rankings this week, which is crazy considering he lost against Augustana last week.
    141- Dylan wrestled well and looks like he's taken a step forward this year. He is more effective on top and able to get to tilts better than in the past. Would like to see him continue to improve on finishing his shots.
    149- With Parker and Henningson in the lineup, probably the biggest hole. Sax needs a way to score consistently, and he hasn't shown that ability yet. He doesn't have a good shot or attempt from neutral and he struggles on bottom. On top, he is a better rider than turner, which isn't enough to overcome his lack of offense. I'd like to see JVM back in the lineup. With Peterson and Drexler coming in next year around this weight, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Radenz get a shot this year either.
    157- Franek looks like an All American at a very tough eight. Just get through the regular season healthy.
    165- Roller coaster match against Buffalo, but 3 pins is a great result. In some of these matches, I'd like to see him working on his leg attacks. If he's going to end up an All American, he'll likely need to convert a shot in a big spot.
    174- Brenner is wrestling well right now. He looks like an NCAA qualifier to me and Habisch just doesn't look like he's quite on Brenner's level, but is very quality depth.
    184- Parker is only going to get better and I think he can qualify for NCAAs this year. He'll need to notch some quality wins going forward, but he's solid. Biggest thing for him is improving his setups. If he can, he'll maximize his quickness and convert his shots at a much higher rate. Right now, he's too often not using a setup and he's wasting energy on shots that don't have much of a chance.
    197- Pentz is very solid, but I think he's in the tier below All American status, more in the 15-25 range. He's so strong and effective when he controls the ties, just needs to get the gas tank a little better and keep improving on shot defense, which is probably his biggest weakness. His leg attacks aren't super impressive, but when he goes from his ties, they work.
    HWT- I know he took a tough loss vs Buffalo, but I think Metz has been showing much better of late. He's been more aggressive, much much better on top, not forcing throws, and just more confident. If he keeps wrestling like this, he could be a top 15-20 guy, and with his throwing ability, that would make him a fringe AA candidate.

The guys from the UNI open struggled quite a bit. Schumm needs to get on the attack more and try to use his heads, hands, and hips to defend shots, rather than let guys get in deep on his legs and then scrambling. Mora needs to be more confident and aggressive from neutral. He also doesn't have a turn on top, so he's going to need to be able to consistently get a takedown to win. Watts looks like a 133 wrestling 141 and got overpowered.

It is really something that we have a shot at up-to 8 NCAA qualifiers with the current line-up. Hopefully we can bolster those chances with some good showings at the Scuffle.

I could be wrong, but based on what I've seen here, including one ephemeral post, I think it is very unlikely that we will see JVM in the lineup again.

where can I find the won/loss records to date of Franek and Weber?....guessing they both have just one loss so far?

Quote Originally Posted by bisoninloveland View Post
    where can I find the won/loss records to date of Franek and Weber?....guessing they both have just one loss so far?
    https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/49/...-state/profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk