Page 2 of 126 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021-2022 Season

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2021-2022 Season

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    Negrete didn’t lose the SCSU starter. Paxton Creese is their starter.
    Give us the way to early prediction. Franek and Weber best threats to AA? Who's your dark horse for the season?

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Way too early predictions.

Missouri coming into the conference this year will get the big 12 more spots for sure but most of those extra spots will probably go to Missouri. They had 10 wrestlers qualify last year and with everybody back will probably have 8-9 or maybe 10 again. It’s going to make it that much tougher for borderline guys to qualify. Had four qualifiers last year and I think that would be the over/under for this season. If I were setting odds for Vegas I’d set it at 3.5.

125 - IMO it’s going to be a long year at this weight as they’re just too young here. Take the wins if/when you get them and hope there’s a Xmas transfer that can give them some experience.
    133 - Big 12 at this weight is solid at the top 2 but anything could happen after that. If March progresses from year 1-2 like you hope he does who knows.
    141 - Droegemueller - needs to get over the hump of beating Carlson from SDSU. Always close matches and always losses. After Demas, Hart, Carlson its a crapshoot. Alirez from UNC and Dylan should be in the next tier.
    149 - I have no idea what to expect from Van Mannen. Watching him early in his career I thought he’d have at least a couple NC qualifier under his belt. Still say he needs to believe in himself when he’s gets behind in a close match that he can come back.
    157 - I’ve been saying since his freshman year that Franek will be the next Bison AA so I have to stick with it. If he wrestles like he did against Deakin in the tournament last year I think this is the year it happens. Will be interesting to see if he matches up with Jacques from Missouri this week whom he lost to last season. I’m calling AA
    165 - last year Weber probably made the most improvement from one season to the next that I’ve seen under Kish. Let’s hope there’s a little bit more in there. Looks like Romero from UT is dropping down from 174 and will probably be the Big 12 favorite now. Otoole from Mizzou pretty much shut Weber down in the wrestle backs last year and Cook from SDSU is back after a year off. Qualifying here just got tougher.
    174 - Brenner has made steady progress since he’s been here. My Dark horse to qualify for NCAAs this year.
    184 - Nelson has had a season now to learn what it’s like to cut weight to 184 and hopefully not lose any strength or endurance. Like 125 enjoy the wins and hope for a .500 season.
    197 - Pentz got a wildcard to get into the tournament and gained a ton of confidence after pinning #2 Schultz from Nebraska
    In round one. Unfortunately with Ferrari, now Elam, Buchanan, Woodley and Sloan at this weight qualifying may be tough again. Fortunately this is a weight that the Big 12 is probably the best in the country at which bodes well for an extra spot or two compared to last year.
    HWT - here’s to hoping Metz proves me wrong but I think it’s going to be hard for him to even qualify this year. Hoping his U23 success gives him enough confidence to ride him to another NC spot. I will gladly eat crow on this one as I’ve thoroughly enjoyed watching a local area kid wrestle for the BiZon.

I’m going to bet the Vegas (my) over and say the BiZon will again have four qualifiers and get their first AA in awhile.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

NDSU welcomes a top 5 opponent in Mizzou to the SHAC tonight and on WDAY Xtra. Should be an ugly final score, but here's to hoping NDSU can get some wins. Franek has the best chance at a win, but he lost to Jacques last year. Outside of him, I think 197, HWT, 174, and 141 are NDSU's best bets. Weber will have Keegen O'Toole at 165, who is a stud.

Saturday, NDSU will host the Bison Open, which will bring in Minnesota, SDSU, local D2, and JUCO schools. I'm hoping the NDSU starters wrestle, since they don't dual Minnesota during the season, but I'm not counting on it. 165 with Weber, Cook, and Sparks would be great.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Break down the Jacques/ Franek match if you don't mind.

All NDSU starters are registered in track for the tournament. No Vacura or Mora at HWT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously not the result we would have liked to see, but there were some positives.
    125- Evens is going to take a lot of lumps this year if he's the guy, but he was able to slow Surtin down for 3 minutes.
    133- March just needed to get going earlier. That's a match he should have won and one of the few matches where the NDSU guy looked to better conditioned.
    141- Dylan got a takedown, so that was a positive. Would've liked to see him start a little better.
    149- Sax got the start, not sure if it was because he is from Missouri or if it's because of performance. Either way, he wasn't impressive last night. No plan on his feet and he'll need to win matches from top. The problem was he had one shot on top and barely rode Edmond. Need to do better than that if he's going to get better results.
    157- Good performance by Franek. He used his feet and fakes to consistently keep Jacques off balance. Really good job of finishing quickly and cleanly when he got in on shots.
    165- Weber looked like he got tired and then the cradle came. However...Weber put O'Toole in some dangerous positions and I came away more optimistic than I was before the match. He may have started off too aggressive and tired himself out a bit.
    174- Brenner did a ton of little things wrong and it added up.
    184- Nelson didn't wrestle well again. He needs to create some angles and use some setups, rather than shoot from space.
    197- I actually liked the way Pentz wrestled early, but he too tired himself out early. Needs to better pace himself but I liked his physicality, his ties, and confidence early.
    HWT- 3 things I didn't like. 1. I hated the roll from bottom that directly led to the tilt. 2. Down 2 and he didn't have any attacks or attempts. There is no difference between a 2 pt or 4 point loss, so might as well try something. 3. No leg attacks all match. Brandon is quick and can get to the legs, he just needs to go for it.

Overall, Mizzou is great and this went about as expected. I was interested to see Parker and Mora dressed, even though they didn't wrestle. It wouldn't surprise me if Sax beat Van Maanen if they meet at the Bison Open, but I think Van Maanen is probably the better option for NDSU at 149 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by larson311 View Post
    All NDSU starters are registered in track for the tournament. No Vacura or Mora at HWT

Mora is registered now. No Vacura, but he was in the stands at the dual. No Henningson either.

Still waiting on the Minnesota entries. Looks like SDSU is bringing the whole team, except Sloan and Cook.

MN is on there now

Vacura is wrestling too.

No van maanen, sax, henningson, or Caliendo today. Really bummed about no caliendo
    Last edited by Big Bird; 11-13-2021 at 04:01 PM.

Does anyone know what time finals are to start?