Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: 2021-2022 Season

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    608

    Default Re: 2021-2022 Season

    Watched most of Callendo's matches yesterday while in Frost Arena. He was impressive. Very bright future as a Bison it looks like.
    Jackrabbit1979 - Bringing delusional Bison fans back down to earth since 2004.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,204

    Default Re: 2021-2022 Season

    The Dak was interesting as it had almost exclusively D1 guys, but was missing pretty much all of the NDSU and SDSU starters. Good test for the freshmen and depth guys, with a mixed bag of results.

    125- I would've loved to see any or all of the 125s in action. They all need experience and 125 was a deep weight, but without an overwhelming guy. Could've been a bunch of good matches for the youngsters.
    141- My eyes tell me Watts is better than Schumm, but Schumm is 9-5 (ranked 41st by WrestleStat) and Watts is 2-6 (ranked #266 by WrestleStat), so my eyes are most likely wrong. Schumm being ranked 41st at the weight by WrestleStat is shocking, when compared with Droegemueller at #35. I think Watts needs to get a lot stronger and looks small for 141, while Schumm looks pretty big at 141. Schumm notched some really nice ins by beating Sjomeling of Nebraska, Fox of UNI, and Basille of UNI.
    149- Radenz had his moments and very nearly pinned national qualifier Lara at the buzzer in a wild 15-13 loss. Obviously D1 is a big step up ND HS wrestling, so I'm cautiously optimistic he can contribute down the line. He's certainly physically ready, just needs more high level experience. Radenz is currently #100 by WrestleStat, while 5th year senior Van Maanen is #89.
    157- Mike Weber does a lot of things well and has good hips, but doesn't have much offense. Good win over Kenny O'Neil and he wrestled Peyton Robb tough.
    165- Caliendo was the star of the tournament for NDSU. WrestleStat now has the freshman ranked #17 (and NDSU starter Luke Weber at #18). The match vs Cook was damn near perfect and the blueprint for how you beat him. I loved his doubles where he got in deep, and locked his hands, effectively negating Cook's ability to get power from his lower half to try to funk Caliendo to his back. His day was more than the one match though, as he beat a ranked Austin Yant of UNI, a quality 6th year sr with a 70-40 career record in Kraisser of Iowa State, and another quality Iowa State guy in Stotts. The one thing I hope we see growth in from Caliendo is on top. He can ride, but hasn't been able to turn much, and I'm not sure what his go to move on top is.
    174- Kudos to Habisch on beating Brenner this time around. Brenner had a bad day losing 3 times to guys he can beat, while Habisch lost to Bailee O'Reilly twice (who Brenner beat last week). Not sure who the guy is going forward, but I'd like to see Brenner at 174 and Habisch at 184. Brenner is ranked #54 while Habisch is #70.
    184- I don't think they can keep going with Nelson. He's 2-6 and 0-6 against D1 guys, and it's getting uglier by the match. He went 0-2, lost badly to a guy Parker crushed, and has now lost to 3 different SDSU backups. Parker was a bit of a mixed bag, but I'm still convinced he's a star. I love his quickness from neutral and his ability to trap an arm off a takedown and go directly into a quality, tight tilt. Big guys don't normally do that. He needs to get a little stronger and in a little better shape, but he's basically coming off not having a season last year, so I'm still expecting further growth. Parker is currently only #88, but that will go up with more data.
    197- Mooberry isn't strong enough. He looks like he knows what to do and just isn't physically strong enough to execute at times.
    HWT- Hopefully a humbling experience from Mora that causes some adjustments to his tactics/mindset. Went 0-2 and Schuyler pummeled him and lost a match to Schuyler's backup that he should've won. Need to be more confident in his offense and be more aggressive. He likes his hi-c off of an underhook, but has become more tentative with each tournament. He's ranked #73 right now, and IMO, stuck between a very good D2 starter and an average D1 starter. Nothing wrong with that, but to get to the next level, he needs to make meaningful changes to his tactics and mindset, because he has the physical tools to be significantly better.

    Overall, another good test for the young guys. I'm still convinced Caliendo and Parker are going to be outstanding, but maybe I need to give Schumm more credit. California didn't have a HS season last year and he's still winning matches I didn't expect. Mora is going to be fine, it's just hard to get a read on his ceiling right now. Would've liked to see Negrete in action, and I think he will be the one that determines how great this class turns out to be.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    349

    Default Re: 2021-2022 Season

    Appreciate the recaps Big Bird


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    780

    Default Re: 2021-2022 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    Watched most of Callendo's matches yesterday while in Frost Arena. He was impressive. Very bright future as a Bison it looks like.
    I agree. He wrestled a technically sound match against Cook and wasnít over matched strength wise. Itís going to be fun watching the freshman classes at NDSU and SDSU the next 4-5 years as thereís quite a bit of talent on both sides.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it!
    The truth is never wrong so if you got it spill it

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    780

    Default Re: 2021-2022 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    The Dak was interesting as it had almost exclusively D1 guys, but was missing pretty much all of the NDSU and SDSU starters. Good test for the freshmen and depth guys, with a mixed bag of results.

    125- I would've loved to see any or all of the 125s in action. They all need experience and 125 was a deep weight, but without an overwhelming guy. Could've been a bunch of good matches for the youngsters.
    141- My eyes tell me Watts is better than Schumm, but Schumm is 9-5 (ranked 41st by WrestleStat) and Watts is 2-6 (ranked #266 by WrestleStat), so my eyes are most likely wrong. Schumm being ranked 41st at the weight by WrestleStat is shocking, when compared with Droegemueller at #35. I think Watts needs to get a lot stronger and looks small for 141, while Schumm looks pretty big at 141. Schumm notched some really nice ins by beating Sjomeling of Nebraska, Fox of UNI, and Basille of UNI.
    149- Radenz had his moments and very nearly pinned national qualifier Lara at the buzzer in a wild 15-13 loss. Obviously D1 is a big step up ND HS wrestling, so I'm cautiously optimistic he can contribute down the line. He's certainly physically ready, just needs more high level experience. Radenz is currently #100 by WrestleStat, while 5th year senior Van Maanen is #89.
    157- Mike Weber does a lot of things well and has good hips, but doesn't have much offense. Good win over Kenny O'Neil and he wrestled Peyton Robb tough.
    165- Caliendo was the star of the tournament for NDSU. WrestleStat now has the freshman ranked #17 (and NDSU starter Luke Weber at #18). The match vs Cook was damn near perfect and the blueprint for how you beat him. I loved his doubles where he got in deep, and locked his hands, effectively negating Cook's ability to get power from his lower half to try to funk Caliendo to his back. His day was more than the one match though, as he beat a ranked Austin Yant of UNI, a quality 6th year sr with a 70-40 career record in Kraisser of Iowa State, and another quality Iowa State guy in Stotts. The one thing I hope we see growth in from Caliendo is on top. He can ride, but hasn't been able to turn much, and I'm not sure what his go to move on top is.
    174- Kudos to Habisch on beating Brenner this time around. Brenner had a bad day losing 3 times to guys he can beat, while Habisch lost to Bailee O'Reilly twice (who Brenner beat last week). Not sure who the guy is going forward, but I'd like to see Brenner at 174 and Habisch at 184. Brenner is ranked #54 while Habisch is #70.
    184- I don't think they can keep going with Nelson. He's 2-6 and 0-6 against D1 guys, and it's getting uglier by the match. He went 0-2, lost badly to a guy Parker crushed, and has now lost to 3 different SDSU backups. Parker was a bit of a mixed bag, but I'm still convinced he's a star. I love his quickness from neutral and his ability to trap an arm off a takedown and go directly into a quality, tight tilt. Big guys don't normally do that. He needs to get a little stronger and in a little better shape, but he's basically coming off not having a season last year, so I'm still expecting further growth. Parker is currently only #88, but that will go up with more data.
    197- Mooberry isn't strong enough. He looks like he knows what to do and just isn't physically strong enough to execute at times.
    HWT- Hopefully a humbling experience from Mora that causes some adjustments to his tactics/mindset. Went 0-2 and Schuyler pummeled him and lost a match to Schuyler's backup that he should've won. Need to be more confident in his offense and be more aggressive. He likes his hi-c off of an underhook, but has become more tentative with each tournament. He's ranked #73 right now, and IMO, stuck between a very good D2 starter and an average D1 starter. Nothing wrong with that, but to get to the next level, he needs to make meaningful changes to his tactics and mindset, because he has the physical tools to be significantly better.

    Overall, another good test for the young guys. I'm still convinced Caliendo and Parker are going to be outstanding, but maybe I need to give Schumm more credit. California didn't have a HS season last year and he's still winning matches I didn't expect. Mora is going to be fine, it's just hard to get a read on his ceiling right now. Would've liked to see Negrete in action, and I think he will be the one that determines how great this class turns out to be.
    It’s really hard to take the wrestle stat rankings seriously. Sax is 4-1 and put a 16-0 technical fall on Radenz yet is ranked 92 spots behind him. I understand it’s based on a formula of who they wrestled etc but that still doesn’t make Radenz that much better than Sax.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it!
    The truth is never wrong so if you got it spill it

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,204

    Default Re: 2021-2022 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    It’s really hard to take the wrestle stat rankings seriously. Sax is 4-1 and put a 16-0 technical fall on Radenz yet is ranked 92 spots behind him. I understand it’s based on a formula of who they wrestled etc but that still doesn’t make Radenz that much better than Sax.
    Yeah, there are definitely issues with it. As more data gets ingested, the rankings correct closer to normal, and that's probably the biggest thing in this case. Radenz, despite being a true freshman, has 11 matches, with 8 being D1, while Sax only has 5 matches and 2 are D1. I think Radenz ranking is about right, while Sax is likely way too low

    I just want to see Sax, JVM, and Radenz wrestle more. They're all slightly different stylistically and we need someone to step up there.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    780

    Default Re: 2021-2022 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Yeah, there are definitely issues with it. As more data gets ingested, the rankings correct closer to normal, and that's probably the biggest thing in this case. Radenz, despite being a true freshman, has 11 matches, with 8 being D1, while Sax only has 5 matches and 2 are D1. I think Radenz ranking is about right, while Sax is likely way too low

    I just want to see Sax, JVM, and Radenz wrestle more. They're all slightly different stylistically and we need someone to step up there.
    Head to head should be weighted very heavily
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it!
    The truth is never wrong so if you got it spill it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •