Page 1 of 126 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021-2022 Season

Default 2021-2022 Season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: 2021-2022 Season

The team starts competition next week, but Heavyweight Brandon Metz will be representing the stars and stripes tomorrow at the under 23 Greco World Championships tomorrow morning.

It'll be available on Flo but may be viewable for free at https://uww.org/event/world-championships-57

Cal Baptist this Saturday at the same time as the Dakota Marker football game (not the best scheduling).

Wrestlestat has it being a runaway Bison victory but I'm more interested what happens at 125 (Negrete or Henningson), 141 and 149 I want to see Dylan and JVM get some confidence early I'm higher on both than most people, 184 Nelson has a nice match with Gerlach, and get to see the future at heavyweight.

I hate the date and time of this opener, but it should be a nice warmup before Mizzou next week.

You really think they will pull a redshirt at HWT for one dual? I’d expect we forfeit but ya never know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah for some reason I had football and their redshirt rules in my head. You're 100% right.

Quote Originally Posted by Portlandbison View Post
    Yeah for some reason I had football and their redshirt rules in my head. You're 100% right.
    TBH, if Metz isn't back in America for it, they should pull a redshirt. They have Gripka, Vacura, and Mora in the same class and there isn't room for all three in future lineups. I think Mora is the best of the bunch, so I would probably keep his redshirt in tact and go with whatever one of the other two is better in the room right now.

If they don't go that route, they could wrestle Brenner, Habisch, Nelson, and Pentz at 174-HWT, bumping the last 3 up. I don't love that idea, but they're all D1 caliber starters, but you'd be giving up size at 3 weights.

Cobber Open is also Saturday and 14 Bison are currently registered (names not released on TrackWrestling yet). I'm really hoping Mooberry, Mora, Parker, and Caliendo are wrestling in it. Really excited to see each of them at the college level and excited for what they'll become.

Agreed with the critique of the opener scheduling, but I plan on watching some rasslin in Moorhead in the morning, popping over for at least half the dual (and hopefully Negrete's college debut), and then watching the football game. It's going to be a good day

Metz and Henningson are listed in the probable lineups.

https://gobison.com/documents/2021/1...CalBaptist.pdf

Pretty decent day for the wrestling team. Destroyed Cal Baptist 43-3 in the opening dual and the freshmen wrestled at Concordia and did alright.

For the dual:
    True Freshman Colby Evans got the start at 125 and came away with an overtime fall. He scrambled well and won the takedown battle. Great job stepping up in this one, although I don't see him as the answer at 125.
    March was just ok IMO. He looked a bit sloppy, but I'm not overly worried.
    Droegemueller looked good. Nice tilts and was able to generally keep his hips tight and get consistent nearfall, which he he hasn't done often in the past.
    Great job by Van Maanen to battle back, but man that was concerning. He was getting ridden and turned, which has always been an issue.
    Franek was very solid. A lot more turns than we're used to seeing out of him.
    Weber was good.
    Brenner was solid. Like his pace a lot, just needs to make sure he is setting his shots up effectively.
    Nelson had the lone loss and didn't look great early. Still not a great scrambler and needs to come up with a better plan of attack on top. He was getting the legs in, but unable to get close to a turn. If you're chasing several points, have to switch it up.
    Pentz was great.
    Metz was solid. Should've had 1 or 2 more points off of the other guy backing out of the underhooks.

Overall, they did what they should to Cal Baptist. Nice of them to honor Pentz' 14 year old brother who passed away this last year too.

I only stayed through half of the semifinal matches at the Cobber Open, but it was nice to see some of the freshmen.
    125- Negrete was as expected. He looks like a 125 lifer and he has great quickness. He lost against the SCSU starter, but you do see those things happen pretty regularly early in the season. First college action, coming off a year when California didn't have a HS season, facing a kid who is in his third year in college and started for the best D2 team in the country. Negrete got to the legs pretty well, but was shooting from too far away and without good setups. The SCSU kid shot way less, but when he shot, they were well set up and he converted. Overall, Negrete showed his physical tools, and they are impressive, but he needs some refinement. A redshirt makes sense, but I'd be surprised if he isn't the best guy in the room at 125. Perez wasn't competitive against anybody.
    141- Schumm went 3-1 and took third and Watts went 0-2 and didn't place...and I was way more impressed with Watts. He was up big and lost on an awful, BS defensive fall, where he was in control and one shoulder was a good 6 inches off that mat. He also gave Joey Bianchini all he could handle, and Bianchini is a 2 time D2 AA and national runner up. Watts was solid in both his matches.
    149- Radenz looked solid when I saw him. Aggressive and physical. He got teched by Sax in the finals, which I din't see. Sax was great on top all day, but needs work from neutral and bottom. He's a good scrambler, but I didn't see anything that would constitute a "go-to" shot. Velazquez really struggled.
    165- Caliendo was very good, especially from neutral. Hopefully he develops his top game this year. Gode looks a little like fogarty out there, but has a long ways to go.
    174- Morgan was ok, just not super athletic.
    184- DJ Parker is going to be really good. He legitimately had a takedown just prior to 2 seconds coming off the clock and is gifted. He's fast, has room to add to his frame, and is really skilled. I didn't see his championship match, but I'm very surprised to see it went to OT. I'm really excited about him.
    197- Only got to see one quick match from Mooberry and he looked good. Not surprise to see him lose to Kaylor, as Kaylor is very strong and Mooberry is very thin. Duda looked ok, but he needs to work on finishing moves. He gets into favorable positions and immediately transitions to something else, even though he should be able to finish. Not the worst thing, but something to work on.
    HWT- Mora is powerful and has quickness. I think he'll really benefit from a redshirt though. He always looks for an underhook into a hi-c, and it is very effective, but if guys control the ties, he is stymied. He beat 3 very good D2 heavyweights today, which is very promising to see in his first action.

Overall, the core of Negrete, Caliendo, Parker, and Mora looked very promising. Sax, Radenz, Mooberry, and Watts all showed some promise too.

It seemed like a few of the guys were having trouble late even in the matches they won big. Pentz is so fun to watch, agree with 125 being the weakest part of the lineup but it was good to see some positivity with Evens after the struggles 125 was last year. Great start to the year hopefully some of the confidence gained today can roll over to Mizzou.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Pretty decent day for the wrestling team. Destroyed Cal Baptist 43-3 in the opening dual and the freshmen wrestled at Concordia and did alright.

For the dual:
    True Freshman Colby Evans got the start at 125 and came away with an overtime fall. He scrambled well and won the takedown battle. Great job stepping up in this one, although I don't see him as the answer at 125.
    March was just ok IMO. He looked a bit sloppy, but I'm not overly worried.
    Droegemueller looked good. Nice tilts and was able to generally keep his hips tight and get consistent nearfall, which he he hasn't done often in the past.
    Great job by Van Maanen to battle back, but man that was concerning. He was getting ridden and turned, which has always been an issue.
    Franek was very solid. A lot more turns than we're used to seeing out of him.
    Weber was good.
    Brenner was solid. Like his pace a lot, just needs to make sure he is setting his shots up effectively.
    Nelson had the lone loss and didn't look great early. Still not a great scrambler and needs to come up with a better plan of attack on top. He was getting the legs in, but unable to get close to a turn. If you're chasing several points, have to switch it up.
    Pentz was great.
    Metz was solid. Should've had 1 or 2 more points off of the other guy backing out of the underhooks.

Overall, they did what they should to Cal Baptist. Nice of them to honor Pentz' 14 year old brother who passed away this last year too.

I only stayed through half of the semifinal matches at the Cobber Open, but it was nice to see some of the freshmen.
    125- Negrete was as expected. He looks like a 125 lifer and he has great quickness. He lost against the SCSU starter, but you do see those things happen pretty regularly early in the season. First college action, coming off a year when California didn't have a HS season, facing a kid who is in his third year in college and started for the best D2 team in the country. Negrete got to the legs pretty well, but was shooting from too far away and without good setups. The SCSU kid shot way less, but when he shot, they were well set up and he converted. Overall, Negrete showed his physical tools, and they are impressive, but he needs some refinement. A redshirt makes sense, but I'd be surprised if he isn't the best guy in the room at 125. Perez wasn't competitive against anybody.
    141- Schumm went 3-1 and took third and Watts went 0-2 and didn't place...and I was way more impressed with Watts. He was up big and lost on an awful, BS defensive fall, where he was in control and one shoulder was a good 6 inches off that mat. He also gave Joey Bianchini all he could handle, and Bianchini is a 2 time D2 AA and national runner up. Watts was solid in both his matches.
    149- Radenz looked solid when I saw him. Aggressive and physical. He got teched by Sax in the finals, which I din't see. Sax was great on top all day, but needs work from neutral and bottom. He's a good scrambler, but I didn't see anything that would constitute a "go-to" shot. Velazquez really struggled.
    165- Caliendo was very good, especially from neutral. Hopefully he develops his top game this year. Gode looks a little like fogarty out there, but has a long ways to go.
    174- Morgan was ok, just not super athletic.
    184- DJ Parker is going to be really good. He legitimately had a takedown just prior to 2 seconds coming off the clock and is gifted. He's fast, has room to add to his frame, and is really skilled. I didn't see his championship match, but I'm very surprised to see it went to OT. I'm really excited about him.
    197- Only got to see one quick match from Mooberry and he looked good. Not surprise to see him lose to Kaylor, as Kaylor is very strong and Mooberry is very thin. Duda looked ok, but he needs to work on finishing moves. He gets into favorable positions and immediately transitions to something else, even though he should be able to finish. Not the worst thing, but something to work on.
    HWT- Mora is powerful and has quickness. I think he'll really benefit from a redshirt though. He always looks for an underhook into a hi-c, and it is very effective, but if guys control the ties, he is stymied. He beat 3 very good D2 heavyweights today, which is very promising to see in his first action.

Overall, the core of Negrete, Caliendo, Parker, and Mora looked very promising. Sax, Radenz, Mooberry, and Watts all showed some promise too.
    Negrete didn’t lose the SCSU starter. Paxton Creese is their starter.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.