Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Sagarin Says

Default Re: 2021 Sagarin Says

Looking at the top 30 ratings for the FCS, the three largest gaps from one team to the next in the rating scale are all at the top with the biggest jump from 1-2, then 3-4, followed by 2-3.
    It's OK to not be OK.

I like Sagarin...but the Northern Iowa ranking always bothers me...they could lose every game and they would still be highly ranked. A 6-6 UNI team does not belong where it is...

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I like Sagarin...but the Northern Iowa ranking always bothers me...they could lose every game and they would still be highly ranked. A 6-6 UNI team does not belong where it is...
    That's not true, this isn't subjective, it's a statistical formula.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    That's not true, this isn't subjective, it's a statistical formula.
    You could argue that the analysis doesn't weigh W/L enough. It seems very heavy on point margin and strength of schedule, which I like. But there is subjectivity between analyses. IIRC, the ELO rating doesn't take margin of victory into account, which would obv weigh more into W/L.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

They play a tough schedule and they lose close. I get why it bugs some people though. I guess the best gut level argument for it is, “do you really want to play those guys?”
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    They play a tough schedule and they lose close. I get why it bugs some people though. I guess the best gut level argument for it is, “do you really want to play those guys?”
    Feels like a few years since UNI has been close to giving NDSU a real scare. Other teams though seem vulnerable on any given Saturday.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Results of playing the toughest schedule in FCS. Beat the Jacks, pounded Sac State, played Iowa State close. No real bad losses.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    UNI plays Iowa or Iowa State and doesn't get blown out. Should an FBS team that is 6-6 be rated lower than Sam Houston who has more wins?
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    UNI plays Iowa or Iowa State and doesn't get blown out. Should an FBS team that is 6-6 be rated lower than Sam Houston who has more wins?
    It depends on who they played and what the scores were. There are FBS teams with winning records who have lower Sagarin ratings than Sam Houston and UNI right now.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

This thread gets at why there is such a debate between a 1 or 2 loss weaker conferecne team and a 4 or 5 loss team from the Valley.

Unless schools play a more equally difficult schedule, this will always be an issue/question.

Using just Sagarin is very logical, but doesn't really penalize for losses, just margin of victory/defeat. On the other hand, using just W/L may seem "fair" at a glance, but everyone knows the conferences aren't of equal quality.

Therefore they end up compromising and using some of both, which is probably the best they can do. Unfortunately, this open it up to logically inconsistent results that can be found by either side. So in the end, no one is happy.

It's a real conundrum. As a MVFC fan, I'm partial to the Sagarin view of the world. That said, I see what TransAm is saying. Theoretically (and maybe it actually happens), you could have a losing record and be Sagarin ranked higher than undefeated conference winners and that just seems weird. Although you could argue that's what autobids are for.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!