Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 FBS season

Default Re: 2021 FBS season

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    There is an exception for the passer to immediately spike the ball to stop the clock. If there is any delay then it would be intentional grounding.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I have seen a QB wait just a bit to spike the ball and was called for intentional grounding in a college game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Thanks. I had the volume down low so didn't hear any explanation. It seemed like the QB was trying to pull the ball back and grasp it with both hands after a fake instead of attempting to throw it.
    There is judgment involved in that. He has to clearly have control while bringing it back to his body. It's not black and white. Many people see it how they want to see it. The official just has make his best judgment. I'm not sure how much replay can get into that part of it. I do know they can get involved with whether or not his hand started forward with control of the ball.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

You think Montana will get any top 25 votes this week? That was a nice upset.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    You think Montana will get any top 25 votes this week? That was a nice upset.
    https://twitter.com/FrankGogola/stat...810549251?s=19

Literally App State over Michigan according to their classless coach.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

NDSU needs to get LSU on the schedule.

https://www.totalprosports.com/2021/...ook-the-field/

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    https://twitter.com/FrankGogola/stat...810549251?s=19

Literally App State over Michigan according to their classless coach.
    He’s so full of himself. He acts like they are the only ones to do it that are still in the FCS. It’s a great win but let’s not get carried away here.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

The rules analyst explained it. The philosophy is is if the contact is to the extended leg is running into and if the contact is to the plant leg or forcible contact info the body is roughing. That call was consistent with that philosophy.

The pass is not intentional grounding because that's not where he intended to throw it. Someone asked in another thread why QBs don't do this intentionally to avoid intentional grounding but obviously the word intentional is involved in the name of the foul and definition.

Listening to one of the "big" irish podcasts today, the host said a P5 official called him after the game and told him it was roughing. He could very well be lying, I have no idea. And if he is telling the truth, the official who called him up could be wrong too.

To me, it was roughing just based on the hit. If the refs made the right call here, they are basically encouraging people to light up punters on 4th and long which almost certainly is not the purpose of the rule.

I get that refs need some bright line rules and probably appreciate them, but they probably should use a standard rather than a rule on that because he didn't just knock the guy over or bump into him there. That was a legit hit.

Do you think there should be any leeway on those types of hits or do you think that the rule the analyst described is the proper way of viewing it?
    College of Business Alumnus

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Listening to one of the "big" irish podcasts today, the host said a P5 official called him after the game and told him it was roughing. He could very well be lying, I have no idea. And if he is telling the truth, the official who called him up could be wrong too.

To me, it was roughing just based on the hit. If the refs made the right call here, they are basically encouraging people to light up punters on 4th and long which almost certainly is not the purpose of the rule.

I get that refs need some bright line rules and probably appreciate them, but they probably should use a standard rather than a rule on that because he didn't just knock the guy over or bump into him there. That was a legit hit.

Do you think there should be any leeway on those types of hits or do you think that the rule the analyst described is the proper way of viewing it?
    As I've mentioned before there are gray areas in many of these rules. Rules are often somewhat vague and then philosophies help to clarify them. This is a good example. To differentiate between running and roughing the leg example I shared is one of them. But forcible contact that displaces the kicker will be roughing. The official on the field didn't feel that was the case. The P5 friend of Coach Kelly felt otherwise. Neither are wrong and neither are right. They both make valid judgements.

Football is not black and white. It's messy and the ball bounces funny. If you expect everything to be black and white you are watching the wrong sport. If you expect every call to be right or wrong you will never be happy. The officials try really hard to remove the gray and be as consistent as possible. But it's impossible to accomplish.

As I've mentioned before there are gray areas in many of these rules. Rules are often somewhat vague and then philosophies help to clarify them. This is a good example. To differentiate between running and roughing the leg example I shared is one of them. But forcible contact that displaces the kicker will be roughing. The official on the field didn't feel that was the case. The P5 friend of Coach Kelly felt otherwise. Neither are wrong and neither are right. They both make valid judgements.

Football is not black and white. It's messy and the ball bounces funny. If you expect everything to be black and white you are watching the wrong sport. If you expect every call to be right or wrong you will never be happy. The officials try really hard to remove the gray and be as consistent as possible. But it's impossible to accomplish.

I saw a NCAA rule enforcement announcement in regards to uniform standards. Said that there was going to be active enforcement this year. So I was pretty surprised when I saw players with bare mid-drifts this past week in a few games. I did notice more teams with regulation pants as opposed to last year.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Iowa vs Iowa State this weekend.

Kansas State vs SIU.

KU vs Coastal. who is RANKED 17 !!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?