Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nebraska is bad at football

Default Re: Nebraska is bad at football

Bohl to Nebraska is the only solution.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    I think the Big XII will be fine.

I did not see Frost being a bad hire. I am curious - what were the signs? Honestly, I thought he would elevate Nebraska back to national title contender. I was obviously wrong.
    The Big 12 is toast as a Power conference. The projections are with Texas/Oklahoma leaving the TV money will drop from about $35 million per school to $12-15 million per school. There is not a potential candidate or candidates out there that projects to make up that difference. In fact, most candidates are just another mouth to feed. You don't just take a $20 million hit to your revenues and keep rolling along. There is a reason the Big 12 was not even contacted to be a part of the Alliance.

The warning signs on Scott Frost were that he only spent two seasons at UCF and his teams there were not the most disciplined but were able to overcome those issues in a weak AAC. His teams were also based on spread offenses that outscore opponents rather than playing strong defense. It was a philosophy that just doesn't fit with the style of play in the Big Ten (West especially). A style that a school like Nebraska given its location would have a hard time recruiting to. They need to play to their strengths of what recruits they have access to and pattern their program after Wisconsin, Iowa, even Northwestern and now Illinois. The guy was also arrogant talking about how the Big Ten would have to adjust to what HE was bringing to Nebraska not even realizing that his Oregon and UCF offense would be tougher to do at Nebraska. He was dubbed Scott Flop a week before he was even hired by a few Big Ten fan bases because you could see it coming that this wasn't going to work.

Turns out 4 years later he is still unable to adjust, basically admitted in his post game presser they were guessing against Illinois and couldn't adjust. Still are not physical as Bielema in game one at Illinois took that game over on the LOS in the 3/4 quarter and ran the ball right at the Husker D and they couldn't stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Bohl to Nebraska is the only solution.
    Nah. Chris Klieman would be a much better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Nah. Chris Klieman would be a much better fit.
    That’d be a step down for klieman. I only see klieman going back to Iowa/Iowa state personally.

Plus bohl to Nebraska is a prophecy that must be fulfilled.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    I think the Big XII will be fine.

I did not see Frost being a bad hire. I am curious - what were the signs? Honestly, I thought he would elevate Nebraska back to national title contender. I was obviously wrong.
    It's easy to say now, but it's a lot of the same things that we talk about around here during the couple openings that we have had. When you think of Nebraska, do you think of speedy fast guys all over the place playing playing sandlot football? Or is the image that you get power football with a bunch of big boys running the ball down your throat? To me it's the latter. IMO for a program to be successful you need to be honest with yourself and play to your strengths. Because attrition is really important and the more guys that you can recruit locally, whose parents grew up with Nebraska football, and who can get to games to support the team is important. Nebraska is farm country. Build around big farm boys and fill in the voids by expanding that recruiting footprint.

Frost was and is a spread finesse coach, who apparently hates teaching his teams disciplined football. I was hoping he would be a good hire, but was afraid that it may not work.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    It's easy to say now, but it's a lot of the same things that we talk about around here during the couple openings that we have had. When you think of Nebraska, do you think of speedy fast guys all over the place playing playing sandlot football? Or is the image that you get power football with a bunch of big boys running the ball down your throat? To me it's the latter. IMO for a program to be successful you need to be honest with yourself and play to your strengths. Because attrition is really important and the more guys that you can recruit locally, whose parents grew up with Nebraska football, and who can get to games to support the team is important. Nebraska is farm country. Build around big farm boys and fill in the voids by expanding that recruiting footprint.

Frost was and is a spread finesse coach, who apparently hates teaching his teams disciplined football. I was hoping he would be a good hire, but was afraid that it may not work.
    You relayed this better than I did. Yes to everything you just said. It was obvious to the fans of other Big Ten teams that what Frost was going to try to implement was not going to work for the exact reasons you just stated. National media people don't look at things the same way. Same with their talk of Matt Campbell and going to a place like USC. No way is that a good fit for him. Same with Bret Bielema going to the SEC. That was not a good fit for him. I think he will do well at Illinois though. Great fit. Illinois guy, Iowa grad, former Wisco coach. he knows every inch of that recruiting area, relationships with all the HS coaches in the area, above all, if you've listened to him speak lately the experience in Arkansas and his time away consulting in the NFL have really humbled the guy and he's approaching everything from a different place. Drunk, belligerent Bert appears to be gone.

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    nebraska is a cautionary tale about an awesome but spoiled fanbase that killed their own program.
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

Then there is this comment... Seems like he got the shot at this because he was Nebraska alumni that won them a championship in his playing days. You'd think he would understand the fan base and using program history to his advantage. Can't imagine this comment sits well with the big boosters in year 4...

https://twitter.com/Steve_Marik/stat...096006144?s=19

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Then there is this comment... Seems like he got the shot at this because he was Nebraska alumni that won them a championship in his playing days. You'd think he would understand the fan base and using program history to his advantage. Can't imagine this comment sits well with the big boosters in year 4...

I saw that the other day and just shook my head. MAYBE that's something you say as a high school coach but you can't say that as a college coach at any level.

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post

What does that even mean?

I'm imagining, "Ok guys, we have a plan. As long as they don't line up in a certain formation, we will execute our plan. ...Crap, they lined up in that formation."
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.