Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison1660 and ForumComm

Default Re: Bison1660 and ForumComm

Quote Originally Posted by marenlee View Post
    Somehow I missed this. What’s the backstory? I listen to 1660 all the time and don’t do much Dom and Jeff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When 1660 came online, ML gave them pretty exclusive access to NDSU coaches, etc, as part of the deal. On top of that, they made it clear coaches would not regularly be on other programs or give other interviews. To add insult to injury (from the Forum's perspective, not mine), they said Dom and Jeff could no longer film any segments on the west lot, etc on gameday. Caused a huge, huge firestorm. (So much so, NDSU did back off a bit after the Forum put a full court press on them.) So, on the old Kolpack and Izzo radio show, Jeff had a complete meltdown, publicly, and basically accused/speculated Culhane was behind it, even though they were not even up and running. Jeff was just pissed and blowing steam, but it was over the top unprofessional. He later apologized and said he did so personally to Jeff Culhane, who had nothing to do with the deal.

I'm not excusing Jeff's behavior at the time, but I am sure he was pissed at the Forum for not getting the contract, and was having a hard time realizing they could be second fiddle in Bison coverage at that point. Of course, Jeff and Dom rallied and continued to provide probably the best, overall non-biased content out there. To me, they have always been, and will be the standard in Bison coverage. Have to give the a ton of credit after having a very difficult situation thrown at them, and now they have the media deal as icing on the cake. Just wish they still did the Saturday show, but the pod is always excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    When 1660 came online, ML gave them pretty exclusive access to NDSU coaches, etc, as part of the deal. On top of that, they made it clear coaches would not regularly be on other programs or give other interviews. To add insult to injury (from the Forum's perspective, not mine), they said Dom and Jeff could no longer film any segments on the west lot, etc on gameday. Caused a huge, huge firestorm. (So much so, NDSU did back off a bit after the Forum put a full court press on them.) So, on the old Kolpack and Izzo radio show, Jeff had a complete meltdown, publicly, and basically accused/speculated Culhane was behind it, even though they were not even up and running. Jeff was just pissed and blowing steam, but it was over the top unprofessional. He later apologized and said he did so personally to Jeff Culhane, who had nothing to do with the deal.
    I didn’t know about that specific meltdown aimed at Culhane but would love to hear it. I’m sure it’s gone forever though. I love what Kolpack does, he’s done a lot to publicize NDSU, and that’s all great. But that whole deal of being entitled to all access when your company doesn’t give a dollar to NDSU while making tons of money off of it was such a turnoff. To this day I have people tell me how good he/Izzo are with their pregame show and radio stuff but I don’t follow them.

Probably will be water under the bridge for me with the new media contract though. Party on
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I didn’t know about that specific meltdown aimed at Culhane but would love to hear it. I’m sure it’s gone forever though. I love what Kolpack does, he’s done a lot to publicize NDSU, and that’s all great. But that whole deal of being entitled to all access when your company doesn’t give a dollar to NDSU while making tons of money off of it was such a turnoff. To this day I have people tell me how good he/Izzo are with their pregame show and radio stuff but I don’t follow them.

Probably will be water under the bridge for me with the new media contract though. Party on
    You are missing out. They have the single best Bison podcast, with Uglem as a very close second.

screw the forum, too many und grads.

besides the FLAG bought the radio station.

and I still remember ndsu kicking out their reporters from practice..bahahaha

go 1660 am & Nancy odney

what was the point of this thread tony?
    Last edited by El_Chapo; 08-30-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

I love 1660 because its #1 topic is NDSU, obviously. Bu tlets be honest, Culhane and Rickhoff are NOT good radio personalities. at best, its like talking to 2 buddies in your kitchen about the game coming up. nothing insightful. DEFINITELY not anything controversial. Absolutely not willing to ruffle even the smallest feathers.

I like it because of the topic, but the facilitators straight up suck. Its laughable to me how truly untalented 1660 is as far as radio personalities. Izzo is VASTLY better on the air, because for one, he is more talented. but more importantly, he can talk honestly about the team. Its not just sunshine and cotton candy, ALWAYS. You can tell that hes prepped beforehand.

When 1660 talks anything besides Bison, its infuriating, because the ONLY thing they have going for them is the topic, not the talent. So not only do I not give a shit about the topic, I have to sit through Anthony Rickoff fumbling through his words and Jeff giving the absolute tamest takes possible. At least with Dom, hes talented enough to make me care about the 9 man football scene or a great girls basketball player from Minot or something.

1660 on gamedays is excellent stuff, but their day to day programming is excruciating
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    I love 1660 because its #1 topic is NDSU, obviously. Bu tlets be honest, Culhane and Rickhoff are NOT good radio personalities. at best, its like talking to 2 buddies in your kitchen about the game coming up. nothing insightful. DEFINITELY not anything controversial. Absolutely not willing to ruffle even the smallest feathers.

I like it because of the topic, but the facilitators straight up suck. Its laughable to me how truly untalented 1660 is as far as radio personalities. Izzo is VASTLY better on the air, because for one, he is more talented. but more importantly, he can talk honestly about the team. Its not just sunshine and cotton candy, ALWAYS. You can tell that hes prepped beforehand.

When 1660 talks anything besides Bison, its infuriating, because the ONLY thing they have going for them is the topic, not the talent. So not only do I not give a shit about the topic, I have to sit through Anthony Rickoff fumbling through his words and Jeff giving the absolute tamest takes possible. At least with Dom, hes talented enough to make me care about the 9 man football scene or a great girls basketball player from Minot or something.

1660 on gamedays is excellent stuff, but their day to day programming is excruciating
    I'm not this down on 1660, but agree that the North Korea state media mindset gets old. Huge, huge blow when they lost JJ......he has one of the best FCS minds in the country. Andy R just is not carrying his water.

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post

He's not that talented......at least for me haha

Talking crap about my boy, Dom? Non ci credo!

Nobody got more excited than Ed Schultz and he was really good on broadcasts. It won't hurt for NDSU to have a more likeable version of Ed out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Not any more. FC sold WDAY radio to FLAG.
    No they didn't. The Flag is the operating manager of WDAY. Marcil still owns WDAY.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Kolpack and Izzo work for the Forum, which is a competitor of Radio FM. That probably explains it.
    How is this not the simplest explanation? They are on 970.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯