Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: WDAY Not Crap Production (hopefully)

Default Re: WDAY Not Crap Production (hopefully)

I thought the new turf looked great on TV and is such a nice bright color. I noticed on strange thing, maybe it's shadows caused by new turf or longer turf, but whenever a player would run on the turf you'd say a huge black spot on TV where they stepped. It's kind of a neat affect, but is it from the turf laying down?

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    I thought the new turf looked great on TV and is such a nice bright color. I noticed on strange thing, maybe it's shadows caused by new turf or longer turf, but whenever a player would run on the turf you'd say a huge black spot on TV where they stepped. It's kind of a neat affect, but is it from the turf laying down?
    Is it the infill "jumping" up?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Is it the infill "jumping" up?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    That was my second thought, but then decided it wouldn't be that obvious.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Watched broadcast out of curiosity and I can say without a doubt it's the best production quality NDSU have ever had. The added corner angle camera helps a ton in making the production feel bigger. It's not the same 2-3 shots of every play. Graphics look solid, first down line seemed to be in the correct spot and the down and distance graphic was nice.

Huge improvement from just a few years ago imo.
    The new turf looks amazing on TV too.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Production was great. Everything from graphics to camera angles. Its easily the best production weve ever had. Good job WDAY

My only minor complaint is Doms mic. It distorts when he gets louder and it sounds like it's am AM mic
    Both the production and Dom have improved since last year but yes, the mike issue needs to be fixed. IMHO, he sounds better when he doesn't raise his voice on big plays. BShawn made a massive jump when finally figured out his "growl". Hopefully Dom does as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    That was my second thought, but then decided it wouldn't be that obvious.
    It's the infill. It's possible the new turf is going to require a little extra grooming after it's rolled out, or maybe that's just going to be the way it's going to be. I've seen other turfs act this way in high def(where the picture quality is high enough to actually see the pellets pop out of the turf). What might be happening is the turf fibers are getting bent over from being rolled up in storage. After the turf is laid out, the fibers aren't popping back up on their own, so the distance from the top of the infill layer to the surface of the turf is less than it should be. Probably only a half inch to one inch difference, but it's enough to allow the infill to escape when disturbed. If this is abnormal for this model turf, maybe they can use some sort of machine to "fluff" the turf fibers up after laying it out to prevent it from happening. New turf, new learning curve.

I sometimes forget at the beginning of each season, but always watch Bison games on ESPN+ rather than WDAY if you have access to both. WDAY produces the game in 1080p and sends that signal to ESPN, but the WDAY transmitters are limited to 720p, so they down convert the signal when they send it out. That includes the WDAY signal sent to services like Hulu Live, YouTube TV, etc.

At least I'm pretty sure about all of this.

It's the infill. It's possible the new turf is going to require a little extra grooming after it's rolled out, or maybe that's just going to be the way it's going to be. I've seen other turfs act this way in high def(where the picture quality is high enough to actually see the pellets pop out of the turf). What might be happening is the turf fibers are getting bent over from being rolled up in storage. After the turf is laid out, the fibers aren't popping back up on their own, so the distance from the top of the infill layer to the surface of the turf is less than it should be. Probably only a half inch to one inch difference, but it's enough to allow the infill to escape when disturbed. If this is abnormal for this model turf, maybe they can use some sort of machine to "fluff" the turf fibers up after laying it out to prevent it from happening. New turf, new learning curve.
    Hammersmith is definitely right, if you were seeing black coming up it was infil. It was pretty easy to spot in the dome, especially on cuts. Be interesting to see if that remains the same all year.

Have to agree that I thought the broadcast looked great. The turf looks nearly as good inside as it does on the new practice field so props to the production crew for being able to capture most of that indoors. Also the uniforms looked as true to reality as Ive seen them, so props again to the broadcast crew there

I noticed Dom's Mic would crackle - Thats not on Dom though, thats a sound engineering thing and should be able to take care of that quickly. That was a pretty quick fix in my days in the broadcast trailer (granted, I wasnt in charge of that, so I'm probably making it sound easier than it is)

The only other thing is that the stands, especially the endzones look DARK on the broadcast. IIRC, they always seemed to be very clear and visible during the ESPN broadcasts in the playoffs, but almost never on the KVLY or WDAY broadcasts.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

The new turf is definitely a different color of green from the old turf. It is more green in color, as comparted to the old one which was more grayish green. It really popped in person when you walked into the dome also.
    2021 Bisonville Masters Pool Champion