Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: WDAY Not Crap Production (hopefully)

Default Re: WDAY Not Crap Production (hopefully)

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    That's on WDAY then, figure it out FFS. Why are WDAYs commercials so damn long? Get picture in picture if that can't be fixed. There's no excuse for it when every other broadcaster seems to be able to figure it out!
    Kinda agree. Job #1. Show the game.

Quote Originally Posted by fbmind View Post
    Not as easy as you make it seem. They had sold commercials for the game (which is what allows them to pay for the games so you and I can watch them)...so they had to show those. They had a solution, but for some reason once the game started, Midco did not do what they said they would do. They attempted to fix it once it started happening and did everything they could from there end. But cutting commercials short that people have paid for is not a solution...not how the business works.
    Again it's on them, they wanted the broadcast rights, broadcast the damn games in there entirety! One less commercial during a break isn't gonna kill them.

Why would they leave the fate of their broadcast in the hands of midco? If they’re humping you on the commercial breaks get the 2nd sideline reporter who only does two hits a game anyway a red clipboard and an emergency vest and tell the white hat what’s up.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

I've been poking around about this issue, and I think it is possible there is a lot more to this than what the casual person, or the one sided account of WDAY, would discern.

It appears to me Midco knew from the beginning WDAY needed more time and tried to accommodate them and thought they were giving enough time even though they found out later they were not. However, no one from WDAY said a word to Midco until halftime. (I hear it would have been super easy for WDAY to simply tell them after the very first time, but they did not bother.) It sounds to me WDAY could have easily fixed this by simply communicating to Midco after the very first break, which they did not do. While I think a lot of us love Dom and everything he does for NDSU media coverage, he is also long winded. Is it possible he was slow getting into breaks which would have made the problem worse? In other words, if Midco is already in a break, but Dom is still talking, that could also contribute to the problem.

Just wanted to give a different view than that being said in social media (by of course posting in social media ). Clearly, Midco still is partly to blame as they even missed plays in their production. (I noted 2 or 3 times this happened.)

The missed commercial thing was a problem for everybody. I was watching the ESPN+/Midco feed while listening to Jeff and Phil. There were times that the radio came back late and missed plays. Midco tried doing the split screen thing and a couple times it glitched out and showed Picture in Picture of the exact same play. Issues were had by all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Why would they leave the fate of their broadcast in the hands of midco? If they’re humping you on the commercial breaks get the 2nd sideline reporter who only does two hits a game anyway a red clipboard and an emergency vest and tell the white hat what’s up.
    Only one TV outlet communicates with the officials to note when the full media time out is over and for this game that was Midco so the referee doesn't care if WDAY says "wait for us."
    It's OK to not be OK.

There should be a standard time for media timeouts then, can't believe there isn't already.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    There should be a standard time for media timeouts then, can't believe there isn't already.
    Depends on the broadcast production company and likely the contract with the school/conference. The higher the rights fee likely the more and longer the commercial breaks. I worked the Spring League last Spring and they had 4 media timeouts plus the quarter break and 2-minute warning each half. Each break was 2 minutes I believe. When I timed them they weren't always the same but the red hat was on the field until the crew could get rolling. The red hat is in direct communication with the producer so the primary broadcast should never miss a snap unless they have technical difficulties.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nice to see Brian Shawn on Midco, but I'm not sure what game their broadcast guys were watching when they said Belquist got a bad spot on their super fun reverse play on 4th down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Only one TV outlet communicates with the officials to note when the full media time out is over and for this game that was Midco so the referee doesn't care if WDAY says "wait for us."
    This is why'd I'd give WDAY some slack here. They've been very good about getting back to home games in time which KVLY struggled with at times.