Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 2021 enrollment

Default Re: 2021 enrollment

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    In person classes? I know some kids who went to Valley this year because NDSU was online.
    No idea, it would be interesting to see the break down for all schools in North Dakota.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Hillsboro has been slowly growing since I've been there. In 2006 seems like just a bit over 1500, 2010 estimate indicates a hair over 1600. They are adding a huge development to west side of interstate. Will have to see what becomes of it. I think town has gotten somewhat younger, when I first moved there it seemed like many of baby boomers were still there but no kids or had kids with only a few of the last 4-5-6 kids they had, now they've somewhat left or died and younger couples (or even a few single people) but smaller families than in past. They've built up 2 small developments since I've moved there. Not many apartments so that probably needs some attention as hard to come by. The added businesses have been Degleman (farm implements) and Total Ag (they deal in a lot of agricultural stuff) probably some other odds and ends are the only "major" ones that I know about that were added. ACS is always a big employer, and they have Anchor Ingredients, FCS/USDA offices, a lot of contractors have their workers stay in campers at the campground every summer is busy not to mention beet harvest help as well. All said Hillsboro is a bedroom community with people traveling to Fargo or Grand Forks for work (like myself). They are doing a huge development on the west side because from everything we've been told there is demand for additional housing. Here is website for that https://www.riverwalkdevelopment.com/ This is projected to increase the size of Hillsboro fairly significantly, but it is going to take years for them to fill that up. They have it in 2 phases. East side and all south commercial lots will be done first.

Pretty rare in my circle of people... but then I grew up on a farm with lots of farming relatives and farming friends so kind of hard to move away from that.

I appreciate the insight. Glad to hear that!

In person classes? I know some kids who went to Valley this year because NDSU was online.
    Except NDSU isn't online this year....

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    This is 100 % correct
    It’s just the opposite in fact
    Nothing on-line at NDSU anymore
    Too bad because it would be a good way to boost head count and get more money from Bismarck through the exact model that DB has been pushing for decades …

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    This is 100 % correct
    It’s just the opposite in fact
    Nothing on-line at NDSU anymore
    Too bad because it would be a good way to boost head count and get more money from Bismarck through the exact model that DB has been pushing for decades …
    We still have a fair number of asynchronous on-line courses, and one or two majors that can be taken that way, but those aren't impacted by covid, and the numbers are way down from ten years ago. What people didn't like last year was the hy-flex model, where lectures were live, during scheduled class time, and students were watching online, not in the classroom. That pretty much sucked, and everyone hated it. The university made a decision to try to avoid that this year, and we have very few of them...pretty much took an act of God to get them approved...

Thanks

I’m not too worried about enrollment, I guess. I think I herd that NDSU’s latest jump in research funding is higher than it’s been in over 10 years or something like that, and that’s without crazy oil money or earmarks. Seem to be doing fine

We still have a fair number of asynchronous on-line courses, and one or two majors that can be taken that way, but those aren't impacted by covid, and the numbers are way down from ten years ago. What people didn't like last year was the hy-flex model, where lectures were live, during scheduled class time, and students were watching online, not in the classroom. That pretty much sucked, and everyone hated it. The university made a decision to try to avoid that this year, and we have very few of them...pretty much took an act of God to get them approved...
    Last edited by WhoRepsTheLurker; 09-11-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Are there issues with on campus housing? There was something that NDSU wasnt doing hence my buddies daughter going to valley.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Are there issues with on campus housing? There was something that NDSU wasnt doing hence my buddies daughter going to valley.
    Not that I know of…until the classroom mask mandate two weeks ago, everything was supposed to be back to normal…

Ndsu has a ton of on campus housing. They have more than when I was there and we had thousands more students.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Ndsu has a ton of on campus housing. They have more than when I was there and we had thousands more students.
    I mean like having roommates etc. Not availability.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."