Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 enrollment

Default Re: 2021 enrollment

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I continue to be amazed at where some of my friends kids are attending college. Many are going to big, name brand schools that are out of state and very expensive. I just don't see the ROI there but it makes for great social media pictures, I suppose.

Now that I'm sounding like an old man yelling at clouds, can I complain about dorm room (sorry Prakash....Residence Hall) decoration? How many freaking pillows do you need? My parents helped me load my clothes and 13" TV into my Chevy and waved goodbye when I went to college
    Sounds like you have great parents. Back when I went we were on the quarter system. For working on the farm (with no pay) my parents said they pay for tuition but I was on my own for the rest. I think tuition was around 500.00 per quarter. Hell my books were over 100.00 (Joke) After having a lot of fun the first 2 years my dad told me I was on my own after the 4th year. I graduated in 4 but I had to take 22-24-22 credits that last year.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

I continue to be amazed at where some of my friends kids are attending college. Many are going to big, name brand schools that are out of state and very expensive. I just don't see the ROI there but it makes for great social media pictures, I suppose.

Now that I'm sounding like an old man yelling at clouds, can I complain about dorm room (sorry Prakash....Residence Hall) decoration? How many freaking pillows do you need? My parents helped me load my clothes and 13" TV into my Chevy and waved goodbye when I went to college
    My son got excepted everywhere he applied. Had a crazy good high school GPA and finished in the top 10% of his class. After weighing costs and how each school treated him when he had questions/communicated with them he chose University of North Texas right next to Frisco instead of many bigger name schools. He just started his first year this week.

Folks paid for my books. Scholarships and student loans paid for tuition and I worked for living expenses. After graduation the North Dakota STEM employment program paid back a good portion of my loans. In the end with all that and choosing NDSU over something stupid more expensive like the U of M got me a degree pretty cheap. Can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    My son got excepted everywhere he applied. Had a crazy good high school GPA and finished in the top 10% of his class. After weighing costs and how each school treated him when he had questions/communicated with them he chose University of North Texas right next to Frisco instead of many bigger name schools. He just started his first year this week.
    Congrats to your son! Denton is a cool place and the University definitely dominates the culture. College town in a major metro area.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

My college education is certainly one of the best decisions I've made but it was sooooo inexpensive at that time. NDSU is still very reasonable compared with other options. In general though, I do wonder how many of today's kids will look back when they're my age and say what I just did.

I left school with a small debt load and great career opportunities. Not sure that's the case for the majority now.

Also, things change so quickly these days that the idea of spending 4 years to get a degree in one thing seems a bit odd. Yes, I know school is about more than learning "stuff" and that you learn how to learn, etc. Still, it does seem like an "industry" ripe for innovation.

All that said, my oldest is off to school at NDSU this fall, LOL.
    As it has been for the last 20-30 years, it depends on what you go into. I went civil engineering and graduated 7 years ago, paid off student loans in first two years. Going to NDSU was best decision I ever made *slapped on back of the head* SECOND best decision I ever made.

I have a ton of issues with how large universities are run (and don't even get me started on private schools). Biggest problem I saw with my friends 11 years ago leaving high school was that everyone wanted to go to the sexy, expensive school. Too many kids doing fool's math like "Total tuition = $120k, Future salary = $40k, I'll have it paid off in 3 years". That and parents being too proud to tell their kids to be realistic have doomed many for decades.
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    As it has been for the last 20-30 years, it depends on what you go into. I went civil engineering and graduated 7 years ago, paid off student loans in first two years. Going to NDSU was best decision I ever made *slapped on back of the head* SECOND best decision I ever made.

I have a ton of issues with how large universities are run (and don't even get me started on private schools). Biggest problem I saw with my friends 11 years ago leaving high school was that everyone wanted to go to the sexy, expensive school. Too many kids doing fool's math like "Total tuition = $120k, Future salary = $40k, I'll have it paid off in 3 years". That and parents being too proud to tell their kids to be realistic have doomed many for decades.
    I did ndsu undergrad and private law school. In terms of cost.... the sticker shock on private is not real. They don't charge sticker to damn near anyone but Legacy students.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I did ndsu undergrad and private law school. In terms of cost.... the sticker shock on private is not real. They don't charge sticker to damn near anyone but Legacy students.
    Yes, that's true, but it's still quite expensive.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Fair point. Funny story, i had a lot of friends go to Concordia when I was in school at NDSU. Senior year a few months before graduation we all go out like we usually do probably 12 or so of us. The couple of us at NDSU had a good night like always got pretty turned up, nothing too crazy. All the kids from Concordia were drinking like the world was running out of alcohol, just an absolute mess. At first we had no idea what had gotten into them.

Come to find out from the most sober ones that Concordia used to have this day a few months before graduation where they’d sit you down with your advisor and hand you an envelope. Inside that envelope was a letter with a number and that number was how much money you owed in student loans. Best part was, they’d stick a therapist in the room with you and the advisor. Not a personal accountant or professional recruiter, but a therapist so you could talk it out. We from NDSU didnt know but the night we went out was the day they all got their letters. Honestly don’t know how Concordia would’ve had peoples’ loan information so I don’t know exactly how it all went down but that was the story we got.

I would think private school for law wouldn’t be so bad. Seems a career where tight alumni groups are very helpful.
    *one day later*

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    Sounds like you have great parents. Back when I went we were on the quarter system. For working on the farm (with no pay) my parents said they pay for tuition but I was on my own for the rest. I think tuition was around 500.00 per quarter. Hell my books were over 100.00 (Joke) After having a lot of fun the first 2 years my dad told me I was on my own after the 4th year. I graduated in 4 but I had to take 22-24-22 credits that last year.
    I also went during the quarter system period. My first quarter tuition was $284 for 18 credits. I don't think I ever cracked the $400 per quarter mark. I had some scholly money, worked pretty much the whole time and parents pitched in a some bucks for pizza, beer and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    I also went during the quarter system period. My first quarter tuition was $284 for 18 credits. I don't think I ever cracked the $400 per quarter mark. I had some scholly money, worked pretty much the whole time and parents pitched in a some bucks for pizza, beer and the like.
    Yeah now that I think about it tuition was around 250.00 per quarter. Worked construction during the summer and that paid for all my other expenses.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN