Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: NDSU players getting Paid

Default Re: NDSU players getting Paid

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    LOL Jesus H.
    It was 1971-2. Pool attendant is an easy job except when some drunk idiot starts doing cannonballs from the diving board and getting the pool deck all wet. Slipping hazard. Have to curtail it but its a delicate thing to tell a paying guest to knock it off. $1.60 was just a little light for those situations since I was not allowed to be forceful. My tact game was still in its infancy.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Mine was at the Fargo Holiday Inn - Pool Attendant. Paid minimum wage of $1.60/hr.
    Wow that makes my fulltime job in 1988 at $4.00 look huge....
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Wow that makes my fulltime job in 1988 at $4.00 look huge....
    How did you get 4 bucks? Minimum wage was $3.35/hour! (Had several jobs in high school at that rate)
    The white jerseys are the best. Don't even bother to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    How did you get 4 bucks? Minimum wage was $3.35/hour! (Had several jobs in high school at that rate)
    Started in the bottom end at what was State Bank of Fargo (Bell Bank). Benefits also. But married and one kid making $8,160 for the year was still really tight on living.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Started in the bottom end at what was State Bank of Fargo (Bell Bank). Benefits also. But married and one kid making $8,160 for the year was still really tight on living.
    Dang I was probably not far off that for the year when I started working PT at sTunmart back in 2000. I think it was $6.00/hr., $6.50 on Sundays.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    It was 1971-2. Pool attendant is an easy job except when some drunk idiot starts doing cannonballs from the diving board and getting the pool deck all wet. Slipping hazard. Have to curtail it but its a delicate thing to tell a paying guest to knock it off. $1.60 was just a little light for those situations since I was not allowed to be forceful. My tact game was still in its infancy.
    When I was a lifeguard at the public pool and the Y in Jamestown ($8 and $6-something), the only rules I enforced was no running, and no kids with questionable swimming skills jumping off the diving board.

My favorite was the day or two the big farmers let their South African help come to the pool. Let them take the stopper off the diving board and go buck wild.
    College of Business Alumnus

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    When I was a lifeguard at the public pool and the Y in Jamestown ($8 and $6-something), the only rules I enforced was no running, and no kids with questionable swimming skills jumping off the diving board.

My favorite was the day or two the big farmers let their South African help come to the pool. Let them take the stopper off the diving board and go buck wild.
    I applied for a job as a night auditor at a hotel. 11pm to 7am shift. Requested wage by me was $3.50, manager, crossed out the $3.50 I had written on the application, penciled over it with $3.35 and said that was minimum wage and that is what we paid.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

When I was a little kid, I help picking rock for $2.00/hour for a neighbor farmer. Also did other jobs for him as I got older through high school. I definitely wasn't good at farming, though. I liked the hard work part but I really had no intuition for the profession. I also spent a ton of time hunting furbearers because you could actually make money doing it. I remember getting (I think) $150 for a coyote and a perfect shot when I was 11 or 12 (in the early 80's). Got a lot of fox, some racoons, muskrats, a couple of badgers (one mean bastard), and a few skunks. That was a fun way to make money at the time, although now by perspective has changed.

My first commercially kind of job was Happy Joes. I believe minimum wage was $3.05 at the time. Because I kicked ass, I got a raise within a couple of months up to $3.30. A couple of months later, the minimum wage jumped up to $3.35. That put me back on par with everyone else because they didn't up my salary to acknowledge my $0.25/hour awesomeness increase. I remember feeling very fucked by the system at the time.

Fast forward a few years to the time while I was in college. I did concrete construction in the first two summers as a laborer initially, then I was doing everything, including horizontal and vertical control on the transit, setting the all of the forms for footings, walls, and flatwork, and even finishing of flatwork with the power trowel, etc. Those guys never called me by my name. They just called me the architect. It usually wasn't a term of endearment. I got paid $5/hour for that. Crazy.

In my later years in college, I worked in a couple of architecture firms, both in Minot and Grand Fucks. Most of my architecture friends that had jobs in firms were working in FM. The firms paid about $7/hour on average at that time because there was and endless supply of students that would gladly take the jobs. Luckily, I made significantly more working for firms out of town but I still think about those kids locally working for peanuts and how much the firms would bill their time out to their clients. Again, crazy.
    Insert something clever here...

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    1. You are comparing the low cost of NDSU to every other school? I'm talking athletes in general, in all sports in all schools...get your brain off NDSU and football for a single second. You can get a full scholly to play water polo at Duke. You're probably not putting in the same amount of work as a football player at Alabama. certainly not working 25/hrs a week, all year long like your fast food example. But, you still get school paid for. Most sports are an afterthought at schools, but the kids still get their free tuition/room/board/food if they have a scholly.

2. What fast food place is paying $19/hr? I'd actually like to know, might be looking for a job.

3. Any company everywhere benefits from the work of 20% of it's employees. Those employees don't get special treatment. How is college sports any different from real life? Everyone acts like it's something special. It's literally what happens in any job anywhere. You make the company millions of dollars, and you get pennies on the dollar for it. In the college example, I guess their "pennies" are free tuition and free education.
    Pro athletes could literally say the same thing about their "boss" paying them almost nothing, even though they get paid millions. The owners and brand are making multiple hundreds of millions every year. The athletes get a TINY fraction of that money.

But, I'm just a moron looking for a fast food job for $19/hr, so don't listen to me. I'll be serving your burger next week.
    1. You are currently on the NDSU Football fan forum. My example pulls from our local university and athletics. You chose Duke water polo.............. Why not The Long Beach dirtbags and their underwater basket weaving team? Yes sports vary in cost, return, and hours put in. At the division 1 level for all sports I've been around the commitment is substantial.

2. Others have chimed in with conformation of this but I've seen several advertising 17 while driving around and one was advertising 19. Whether it was a Wendy's, Arby's, Burger King I don't' know.

3. You continue to direct me to the workings of a company or corporation as your go-to logic. I don't believe NDSU, as a Public land grant institution, has the primary mission of making money but rather cover the costs of functioning and giving opportunities for education to people in the state. We are not a Private for profit school. I pulled the old google up and the average costs for a year of school at a 4 year institution is only slightly higher than my example @25,290 for in state Public schools across the country. Not that anyone is actually paying that. 46.7% pay between 6,000-11,999.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/student...%20%2451%2C000.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    1. You are currently on the NDSU Football fan forum. My example pulls from our local university and athletics. You chose Duke water polo.............. Why not The Long Beach dirtbags and their underwater basket weaving team? Yes sports vary in cost, return, and hours put in. At the division 1 level for all sports I've been around the commitment is substantial.

2. Others have chimed in with conformation of this but I've seen several advertising 17 while driving around and one was advertising 19. Whether it was a Wendy's, Arby's, Burger King I don't' know.

3. You continue to direct me to the workings of a company or corporation as your go-to logic. I don't believe NDSU, as a Public land grant institution, has the primary mission of making money but rather cover the costs of functioning and giving opportunities for education to people in the state. We are not a Private for profit school. I pulled the old google up and the average costs for a year of school at a 4 year institution is only slightly higher than my example @25,290 for in state Public schools across the country. Not that anyone is actually paying that. 46.7% pay between 6,000-11,999.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/student...%20%2451%2C000.
    They are a member of a cartel that conspires to fix prices. It’s illegal.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie