Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Augie to start D1 hockey

Default Re: Augie to start D1 hockey

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    You do realize the WCHA is nearly dead? 2 teams in AK, no 2021-2022 season, no comissioner?
    Oops. You're right. Age-over-50 brain fart. I meant CCHA, or whatever they are calling themselves these days. As a former long-time Mankato season ticket holder, that's gonna take some getting used to. Can't believe the WCHA brand is gone for good. Who knows... maybe we'd actually get into the NCHC. UND owes us for not opposing them re: the Summit and MVFC.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

im not even gonna waste my time going to find the pictures of 850 fans at regionals over the years.
    it's a cute niche sport, congrats on all the d2 d3 universities playing it
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Yes they do. The rule that allowed non-D1 teams to play D1 hockey changed a few years back (existing teams were grandfathered in).
    Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Yes they do. The rule that allowed non-D1 teams to play D1 hockey changed a few years back (existing teams were grandfathered in).
    While I am sure you have legit information, Augie has no current plans to go full D1 and they would not be public about it if they expected problems.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    While I am sure you have legit information, Augie has no current plans to go full D1 and they would not be public about it if they expected problems.
    This confuses me too. I looked in the DI manual and it's pretty clear on the subject that multidivisional programs are no longer allowed(except grandfathered), but why would Augie go public unless they had a way? I can only assume that DI hockey wants new teams bad enough that they've let Augie know a waiver would be given. I mean, it's one thing for a DII volleyball program to want to move up when there's already around 335 existing DI programs, compared to hockey where there's only around 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    This confuses me too. I looked in the DI manual and it's pretty clear on the subject that multidivisional programs are no longer allowed(except grandfathered), but why would Augie go public unless they had a way? I can only assume that DI hockey wants new teams bad enough that they've let Augie know a waiver would be given. I mean, it's one thing for a DII volleyball program to want to move up when there's already around 335 existing DI programs, compared to hockey where there's only around 60.
    Hammer, that is my read too. I knew abc was right, but they clearly have some assurances. I'll ask Zim on Twitter if he knows. He typically responds and I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Hammer, that is my read too. I knew abc was right, but they clearly have some assurances. I'll ask Zim on Twitter if he knows. He typically responds and I'm curious.
    DII hockey schools can compete for DI championships since the NCAA does not sponsor a DII hockey championship. Schools like SCSU and Mankato may have had their scholarship numbers grandfathered in - I'm not sure what the scholarship rules are for DII hockey - maybe they are the same as D1. Schools like CC are allowed to have the full allowance of scholarships, despite being a D3 school (Title 9 balanced by D1 womens soccer in Mountain West). For example, I think RIT (DIII) moved up too late or didn't have scholarships when the whole grandfathering deadline came and went, so I am pretty sure they can never have D1 scholarship allotments since they are playing up as a D3.

The moratorium on hockey move-ups may, in effect, only apply to DIII schools, unless there is some type of scholarship limit for new D2 schools.

Edit: As always, I was correct. Just found the rules on wikipedia.

"Schools in Divisions II and III are allowed to classify one men's sport and one women's sport as Division I (except for football and basketball), provided that they were sponsoring said sports at Division I level prior to 2011. In addition to this, a lower-division school may compete as a Division I member in a given sport if the NCAA does not sponsor a championship in that sport for the school's own division. Division II schools may award scholarships and operate under Division I rules in their Division I sports. Division III schools cannot award scholarships in their Division I sports (except as noted below), but can operate under most Division I rules in those sports."

"Five Division III members are allowed to award athletic scholarships in their Division I sports—a practice otherwise not allowed for Division III schools. All of these schools sponsored a men's sport in the NCAA University Division, the predecessor to today's Division I, before the NCAA adopted its current three-division setup in 1974–75. At that time, the NCAA did not sponsor championships in women's sports. Today, these schools, sometimes called "grandfathered", are allowed to award scholarships in the one originally grandfathered sport, plus one women's sport."

Edit 2: It's the NE10 that has D2 hockey teams. Some schools in the conference compete at D1 and the rest at D2. The D2 schools could probably just declare that they are playing D1 if they wanted to, without really having to change anything if they didn't want to. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast-10_Conference
    Last edited by nodak651; 06-18-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    im not even gonna waste my time going to find the pictures of 850 fans at regionals over the years.
    it's a cute niche sport, congrats on all the d2 d3 universities playing it
    Your insecurity is showing.

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    Your insecurity is showing.
    Bingo. He hates hockey. I and the rest of us hockey fans are devastated about it

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    who gives a fuck about d3 hockey
    It’s the same as DI hockey if Bemidji State is DI.
    It's OK to not be OK.