Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Proposed 12 Team FBS Playoff

Default Re: Proposed 12 Team FBS Playoff

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    But you’re kind of making my point for me… they played in the ACC and did well… over the last 10 years, playing Michigan and USC and a couple other P5s would in no way be a better resume than playing a conference schedule with the top ACC teams. You’re right that they would likely have to change their scheduling, but it would clearly benefit them.
    How the hell is that making a point for you? The thing is, they don't "play USC and Michigan and a couple other P5's." Why are you lying?
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    How the hell is that making a point for you? The thing is, they don't "play USC and Michigan and a couple other P5's." Why are you lying?
    Apologies for the typo, meant to say “a couple other RANKED P5s…”

My point is that if you make your own schedule as an independent with mostly P5s, your chances of having a better strength of schedule are not as good as if you play an ACC conference schedule. NonCon scheduling is hit or miss, that’s my point.

The point you made for me is that the 1 year that Notre Dame played a full ACC schedule, they made the CFP, even when they probably shouldn’t have (we don’t have to argue that, not the point).
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    Do you think Notre Dame gets into a conference, then? I would love to see them in the B1G Ten.
    I think it would be cool for them to be in a conference! but staying independent all but guarantees them to be in the playoff every year. All they have to do is be in the top 6 Non conference champions and they're in.

But I've been told by Notre dame insiders that they would ONLY join the ACC, even thought the B1G is the obvious fit geographically
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    I think it would be cool for them to be in a conference! but staying independent all but guarantees them to be in the playoff every year. All they have to do is be in the top 6 Non conference champions and they're in.

But I've been told by Notre dame insiders that they would ONLY join the ACC, even thought the B1G is the obvious fit geographically
    I don't think it guarantees they get in. But like the other big programs, any year they are good they'll get in. This is a pretty big margin of error for the big programs. Hoping it leads to more high profile P5 games.

Notre Dame isn't allowed to join anyone but the ACC per some contract.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Apologies for the typo, meant to say “a couple other RANKED P5s…”

My point is that if you make your own schedule as an independent with mostly P5s, your chances of having a better strength of schedule are not as good as if you play an ACC conference schedule. NonCon scheduling is hit or miss, that’s my point.
    Once in awhile, they do have a dud schedule that could keep them out of the top 4. But on the other hand, for say...Clemson...the ACC has been hot garbage for years.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I don't think it guarantees they get in. But like the other big programs, any year they are good they'll get in. This is a pretty big margin of error for the big programs. Hoping it leads to more high profile P5 games.

Notre Dame isn't allowed to join anyone but the ACC per some contract.

Once in awhile, they do have a dud schedule that could keep them out of the top 4. But on the other hand, for say...Clemson...the ACC has been hot garbage for years.
    But if you go undefeated in any of the P5s, I think you have a better chance in any given year than hoping your Indy schedule works out. My opinion. I could be wrong.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Also- I've been a total asshole on here for people saying "yoU cAnT gO fBs wItHoUt a cOnFeReNcE!!!1" by saying, "no, you dont HAVE to have a conference to go FBS, it is possible to go independent". It is my opinion that if the goal is getting to a cotton bowl every 2-4 years, that this would be worth it.

BUT.......

This 12 team playoff changes everything as far as im concerned. Now that the G5 is literally guaranteed a spot, I think you are forfeiting all of the benefits of FBS by NOT being in a conference.

That being said, It makes the MAC look alot more attractive too. If youre a 0-1 loss MAC champion you have a waay higher chance of getting to the playoff than a 2 loss MWC champion etc.
    MWC has a way better regular season, but damn tough to make it to the Playoff. MAC has a less entertaining regular season with a 2-3x higher chance of making the playoff just from a strength of schedule within the conference
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS