Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's About the Caliber of Play

Default It's About the Caliber of Play

In my opinion the caliber of play has dropped off in the FCS... and perhaps at NDSU.

Bison fans, basically, are not stupid when it concerns this. They're accustomed to a very high caliber of football.

Opposing teams' rosters are spotty. Uniforms, on the average, are ugly. Opposing stadiums are 2/3 empty. What do Illinois State, Southern Illinois, and Western Illinois mean to the state of Illinois? Nothing. Yawn

Does anybody remember the linebackers that we used to have?... and the defensive linemen?

Where are you Ramon Humber?... and Joe Mays?... and Grant Olson?

Something has changed... even in Fargo. St. Thomas in the FCS... really? Who's next? St. Cloud? Mankato? Any of which would change recruiting to the south of us. Watch St. Thomas pluck a couple of recruits from us in the coming years. It'll happen. A couple of players who want to stay in the cities will stay at home. History should have taught us this. You say it won't happen? OK...

I absolutely hate the transfer rules.

Also... I would trade the playoffs to see the Bison play a Mountain West schedule.

No... I'm not a fan of the toilet bowls either. The NCAA is to blame for the bowl mess. There should be a second tier FBS playoff system.

There's my rant for the year. Not long ago I would have defended staying in the FCS... I've changed.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Default Re: It's About the Caliber of Play

What Fresno State and San Jose State mean to the state of California when they have PAC-12 schools dominating the local media?
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    In my opinion the caliber of play has dropped off in the FCS... and perhaps at NDSU.

Bison fans, basically, are not stupid when it concerns this. They're accustomed to a very high caliber of football.

Opposing teams' rosters are spotty. Uniforms, on the average, are ugly. Opposing stadiums are 2/3 empty. What do Illinois State, Southern Illinois, and Western Illinois mean to the state of Illinois? Nothing. Yawn

Does anybody remember the linebackers that we used to have?... and the defensive linemen?

Something has changed... even in Fargo. St. Thomas in the FCS... really? Who's next? St. Cloud? Mankato? Any of which would change recruiting to the south of us. Watch St. Thomas pluck a couple of recruits from us in the coming years. It'll happen. A couple of players who want to stay in the cities will stay at home. History should have taught us this. You say it won't happen? OK...

Also... I would trade the playoffs to see the Bison play a Mountain West schedule.

No... I'm not a fan of the toilet bowls either. The NCAA is to blame for the bowl mess. There should be a second tier FBS playoff system.

There's my rant for the year. Not long ago I would have defended staying in the FCS... I've changed.
    You can have Ramon Humber and Joe Mays, I will take two top ten draft pick QBs. Caliber of play at NDSU has continued to go up, hard to argue that.

Rest of this sticks for me though. Honestly we aren’t trading up much if we go to the MAC, we are if we go to the mountain west. For me, I hope to move up because it may someday 20-30 years from now lead to a spot in a P5 conference (or future equivalent). Will probably never happen but we’d be foolish to not continue expanding the brand that is NDSU football and see where it takes us.

Get busy livin’ or get busy dyin’.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    What Fresno State and San Jose State mean to the state of California when they have PAC-12 schools dominating the local media?
    ... think Air Force, San Diego State, Boise State, Colorado State, Wyoming, and Hawaii. Wonder if Air Force would draw interest in Fargo? How about San Diego State when they're ranked? They might be the best program in California.

NDSUBowler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

NDSU is about to have potentially 3 top-50 picks in the NFL draft and you write this?

C'mon man.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUBowler View Post
    NDSU is about to have potentially 3 top-50 picks in the NFL draft and you write this?

C'mon man.
    You have your point... but look at the current roster. Where are the linebackers?

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

... think Air Force, San Diego State, Boise State, Colorado State, Wyoming, and Hawaii. Wonder if Air Force would draw interest in Fargo? How about San Diego State when they're ranked? They might be the best program in California.
    Can't use this argument----it was the SAME when were leaving D2---Illinois State, Youngstown St.--etc.. who were those teams to get fired up for---

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    You can have Ramon Humber and Joe Mays, I will take two top ten draft pick QBs. Caliber of play at NDSU has continued to go up, hard to argue that.

Rest of this sticks for me though. Honestly we aren’t trading up much if we go to the MAC, we are if we go to the mountain west. For me, I hope to move up because it may someday 20-30 years from now lead to a spot in a P5 conference (or future equivalent). Will probably never happen but we’d be foolish to not continue expanding the brand that is NDSU football and see where it takes us.

Get busy livin’ or get busy dyin’.
    Ok, Gus McRae....
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

You have your point... but look at the current roster. Where are the linebackers?
    I think they're fresh and soph and they're on the bench.

Oscar Benson from Hillsboro is on the sidelines (wasn't dressed last week he is a true Freshman). I think he could be a solid player. Probably not Mays/Humber/Board/Cox level though. I imagine he'll see some playing time this fall based on current status of LB crew.

https://gobison.com/sports/football/...ar-benson/9278