Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: FCS Soon to be Developmental Program for G5 and P5

Default Re: FCS Soon to be Developmental Program for G5 and P5

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    most other countries don’t have anything that remotely resembles our collegiate athletic system so you’re wrong there.

they gave up on shamaturism and recognized it as a pathetic vestige of the aristocracy more than a century ago.

it’s very hard to compete against artificially cheap labor.
    No shit. Try finding workers when the government pays them for sitting on their ass for a year.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    No shit. Try finding workers when the government pays them for sitting on their ass for a year.
    No that's just people not wanting to live in rural North Dakota. We've already discussed this.

Lardsin must go!

most other countries don’t have anything that remotely resembles our collegiate athletic system so you’re wrong there.

they gave up on shamaturism and recognized it as a pathetic vestige of the aristocracy more than a century ago.

it’s very hard to compete against artificially cheap labor.
    Certainly fair points. At the end of the day Audit, I respect you as one of the better/smarter posters here and enjoy debating with you. If you think this is leaning more towards argument we can agree to disagree and move on. I enjoy hearing your opinion and the opinion of others here, but I certainly don’t want to add to the incessant bickering that has plagued this site for the last year.

That being said, I’m curious if you really think the “free” labor is free, especially since you seem to be pretty particular with the words people use. The education they get access to (a lot of times without academic merit) can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, even at the lower post-grad earning levels. Add in extra resources when it comes to tutors, dorms, equipment/swag, food, etc., and many kids on campus would agree that athletes have a pretty sweet deal. Hell I had friends on the FB and basketball teams, and a sister that played soccer when I was at Ndsu and they would all agree. None would say they weren’t well compensated for their efforts.

For me it boils down to this: universities have high value currency in the form of education that they can provide to their prospective athletes at a really reduced cost to the school. This benefits the athletes who are getting an actually free education, the schools being able to supply the education in bulk, and the other students who have absolutely zero interest in their student fees going to paying the salary of an 18 year old kid trying his best to put a ball through a hoop.

Just because some student athletes don’t see the value of the education they are getting doesn’t mean the whole system has to change. What it can mean though, is that those athletes can come together and start their own league. They can get paid in money, trident gum, Bitcoin, whatever they want. Hell they can still go to the same school they would’ve played at and still play on the side. Again, if you’re going to compare it to forced labor, then athletes should be pouring out of college athletics for something like that. For some reason they aren’t. IMO (which probably isn’t worth a damn) it’s because some would like to have their cake and eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Certainly fair points. At the end of the day Audit, I respect you as one of the better/smarter posters here and enjoy debating with you. If you think this is leaning more towards argument we can agree to disagree and move on. I enjoy hearing your opinion and the opinion of others here, but I certainly don’t want to add to the incessant bickering that has plagued this site for the last year.

That being said, I’m curious if you really think the “free” labor is free, especially since you seem to be pretty particular with the words people use. The education they get access to (a lot of times without academic merit) can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, even at the lower post-grad earning levels. Add in extra resources when it comes to tutors, dorms, equipment/swag, food, etc., and many kids on campus would agree that athletes have a pretty sweet deal. Hell I had friends on the FB and basketball teams, and a sister that played soccer when I was at Ndsu and they would all agree. None would say they weren’t well compensated for their efforts.

For me it boils down to this: universities have high value currency in the form of education that they can provide to their prospective athletes at a really reduced cost to the school. This benefits the athletes who are getting an actually free education, the schools being able to supply the education in bulk, and the other students who have absolutely zero interest in their student fees going to paying the salary of an 18 year old kid trying his best to put a ball through a hoop.

Just because some student athletes don’t see the value of the education they are getting doesn’t mean the whole system has to change. What it can mean though, is that those athletes can come together and start their own league. They can get paid in money, trident gum, Bitcoin, whatever they want. Hell they can still go to the same school they would’ve played at and still play on the side. Again, if you’re going to compare it to forced labor, then athletes should be pouring out of college athletics for something like that. For some reason they aren’t. IMO (which probably isn’t worth a damn) it’s because some would like to have their cake and eat it too.
    From my perspective it isn’t the athletes who would like to have their cake and eat it too, it’s the institutions.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

From my perspective it isn’t the athletes who would like to have their cake and eat it too, it’s the institutions.
    Your perspective differs from mine, significantly. I’m incredibly grateful and humbled that NDSU offered me the chance to be a student athlete and provided both athletic and academic scholarships, resulting in me having zero student/college debt; and. teaching me time-management and personal discipline life-skills that I’m not sure I otherwise would have gained but for what was provided to me.

There is a lot more than just $$ in play when a person is given the opportunity to participate in sports and academia at NDSU.

And, here’s the thing, I would have been just fine with NDSU “using my likeness” to fund raise. After all, NDSU was paying me to play football and get a solid education, plus the things I mention above.

Times have, apparently, changed for some, I’m just not sure it’s for the better .... but I’m ok with being a bit old-school.

I’ll also add this: the memories and feelings NDSU athletes leave with are life-long. There are very few things in life that are more exhilarating for a young college athlete than to play in front of or “for” 1000s of people who want you to succeed. It’s a “community” team effort that, if you appreciate it fully, carry over to adulthood, and, IMO, allow you to a better person ... when and if you want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Your perspective differs from mine, significantly. I’m incredibly grateful and humbled that NDSU offered me the chance to be a student athlete and provided both athletic and academic scholarships, resulting in me having zero student/college debt; and. teaching me time-management and personal discipline life-skills that I’m not sure I otherwise would have gained but for what was provided to me.

There is a lot more than just $$ in play when a person is given the opportunity to participate in sports and academia at NDSU.

And, here’s the thing, I would have been just fine with NDSU “using my likeness” to fund raise. After all, NDSU was paying me to play football and get a solid education, plus the things I mention above.

Times have, apparently, changed for some, I’m just not sure it’s for the better .... but I’m ok with being a bit old-school.

I’ll also add this: the memories and feelings NDSU athletes leave with are life-long. There are very few things in life that are more exhilarating for a young college athlete than to play in front of or “for” 1000s of people who want you to succeed. It’s a “community” team effort that, if you appreciate it fully, carry over to adulthood, and, IMO, allow you to a better person ... when and if you want to be.

there are billions of dollars flowing through that system now and none of the benefits you mention above are incomparable with the players who bring in the revenue earring a little money from their exertions.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

there are billions of dollars flowing through that system now and none of the benefits you mention above are incomparable with the players who bring in the revenue earring a little money from their exertions.
    Like I said, and apparently you put zero emphasis on—neither playing sports at NDSU nor life is all about the almighty $$ that you seem to bow and pay homage to. Does making a shit ton of money make you feel good? If it does, that kinda belies some of the other shit you thrown around here., and that I’ve otherwise mentioned. Which is it for you?

For me, it’s a fair balance and I try not to make my personal issues someone else’s.

Life doesn’t need to be dictated by those who think they know what’s better for people in whose shoes they have never been nor will ever (nor have the ability to) fill.

Mind your own shit, and meanwhile, let others control what they can relative to their life.

And look into/research your ability to stay where you currently are, and prosper, because the amount of shit you through at how horrible life is here in the U.S.A. suggests strongly that you should stay away and leave us alone.

America First! Audit last.

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Since you want to make it about just money you can look at as an investment-risk reward. The University is assuming all the risk whether the kid works out or not.
    The percentages are pretty low. Fact is they are being compensated for their exertions even though for most those exertions arent generating any revenue.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Like I said, and apparently you put zero emphasis on—neither playing sports at NDSU nor life is all about the almighty $$ that you seem to bow and pay homage to. Does making a shit ton of money make you feel good? If it does, that kinda belies some of the other shit you thrown around here., and that I’ve otherwise mentioned. Which is it for you?

For me, it’s a fair balance and I try not to make my personal issues someone else’s.

Life doesn’t need to be dictated by those who think they know what’s better for people in whose shoes they have never been nor will ever (nor have the ability to) fill.

Mind your own shit, and meanwhile, let others control what they can relative to their life.

And look into/research your ability to stay where you currently are, and prosper, because the amount of shit you through at how horrible life is here in the U.S.A. suggests strongly that you should stay away and leave us alone.

America First! Audit last.

Of course it isn’t all about money. I acknowledged the legitimacy of all of the benefits you pointed to. It’s also a little bit about money though.

Sorry, but we’re coming home. That decision isn’t about money at all. Double disappointing for you.

wats the going rate 4 a semi-pro baseball player id say your average moorhead bum makes more per day