Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Entz seems VERY supportive of FBS jump

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Matt Entz Seems VERY Supportive of FBS Jump

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    The report was they have reached out regarding a move.

Seeing elsewhere that the SEC has enough teams that don't want them. (A&M is already on the record there)

I don't think the Big 12 would replace with Mountain West, I bet they'd grab an American team.
    If they are officially reaching out, it means they already have the votes.
    Looking good Billy Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    If they are officially reaching out, it means they already have the votes.
    Absolutely. If it's public it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    The report was they have reached out regarding a move.

Seeing elsewhere that the SEC has enough teams that don't want them. (A&M is already on the record there)

I don't think the Big 12 would replace with Mountain West, I bet they'd grab an American team.
    I live and work around Ames....most common schools brought up for replacements include BYU/Houston/Cincy/Louisville/Memphis if the Big 12 stays together...mostly to remain relevant as a basketball conference, because there would be no replacing OU and Texas when it comes to football. Some are hoping to end up in Big 10 if conference dissolves, and maybe even if it doesn't.

reformedUNDfan is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post
    I live and work around Ames....most common schools brought up for replacements include BYU/Houston/Cincy/Louisville/Memphis if the Big 12 stays together...mostly to remain relevant as a basketball conference, because there would be no replacing OU and Texas when it comes to football. Some are hoping to end up in Big 10 if conference dissolves, and maybe even if it doesn't.
    Competitively Texas is replaceable. Monetarily only BYU and Notre Dame come close
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by DM05 View Post

I remember a few years ago that the Big 12 considered expansion, and they could not come to an agreement about any of the schools mentioned above, which is why they are still at their current membership.

Louisville is out as the ACC has them locked in via the Grant of Rights.

Lets say that Oklahoma and Texas do leave (I think they will at some point). West Virginia is important as they are the geographic outlier university. If they leave, the Big 12 needs to refocus on the Central and Mountain time zones - I could see a re-look at Memphis, BYU, Houston, and maybe Colorado State. If West Virginia stays, I believe they have to have Cincinnati for the specific reason of a travel partner, as well as their results on the field and basketball court recently, and for recruiting Ohio (yes, Ohio has lots of talent, even talent that is passed over by Ohio State).

The interesting factor would be Nebraska. If they wanted back in the Big 12, this would be their chance, and that would make the Big 10 look at 1 team and then total chaos would occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    (This is the first fbs related thread I found while scrolling)

Texas and OU departing the big twelve is pretty big news. Does this create an opening/opportunity for ndsu? Not the direct jump but replacing a mountain west team who moves over???
    If I were the Big 12, Boise and BYU would be one of the first teams I would contact. Trying to replace Texas and Oklahoma is pretty crushing to the league

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    If I were the Big 12, Boise and BYU would be one of the first teams I would contact. Trying to replace Texas and Oklahoma is pretty crushing to the league
    I think they need to add more than just 2 teams. They need to replace a lot of eyeballs. Cincinnati and Houston maybe...
    Looking good Billy Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    This isn't my Idea, but the NCAA should move to the soccer model were teams move up and down leagues based on how well they do such as kicking out the bottom teams in the premier league and replacing them with the top teams from the 2nd teir.
    If the premier league we’re making the rules there would be no promotion and relegation.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Would someone much more knowledgeable than me on this topic* be able to offer an "Econ of switching P5 conf for dummies" in exec summary form please? I don't understand it but would like to.

Thanks in advance.

* go ahead and answer - this is a very low bar.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    I think they need to add more than just 2 teams. They need to replace a lot of eyeballs. Cincinnati and Houston maybe...
    I agree that it is about eyeballs, but the trick is how to get them. That is the million dollar question.

If Texas and the Longhorn Network leave, I am not sure that the other Big 12 teams would want to have to deal with individual college networks (even though that is the wave of the future)

BYU would have by far the most potential viewers, but what would happen to their BYU TV)?

Memphis is in a growing area and state, and Fred Smith, the CEO of Fed Ex, has promised to provide money to whatever conference adds them https://tv5.espn.com/college-footbal...ion-candidates

Colorado State has a beautiful new(ish) stadium, but there are doubts that they would actually get viewers from the Denver market.

Tulsa would not do much as the Big 12 is already in Oklahoma.

Cincinnati is often an afterthought in Ohio even with their success starting with Mark Dantonio in the 2000's and continuing with Brian Kelly, Butch Jones, and now Luke Fickell.

Houston is one of the largest markets in the entire country, but they are not on the top of the teams that are cared about in the area - would people actually want to watch them? they are in the fertile Texas recruiting area, however.

I could see them adding in this order: BYU, Cincy, Memphis, Houston, Colorado State, some other outlier (Central/South Florida, SMU, UNLV)