Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    Seems we're getting a o-line coming in via portal. Vip from bison report
    oh didn't see that, who?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2020-2021 NDSU Transfer Portal List

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    oh didn't see that, who?
    Was listed as a possible about 3 weeks ago in the recruiting thread. Or you all could just subscribe to the Bison Report.

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Was listed as a possible about 3 weeks ago in the recruiting thread. Or you all could just subscribe to the Bison Report.
    That is why I didn't post the name. Just fyi for everybody to keep the look out for when the news drops elsewhere if you don't wanna pay

oh i thought we had breaking news sorry

Listened to Swanny on Herdcast. He’s great, I appreciate his breakdowns. Was talking to the portal a lot and how NDSU needs to embrace it and change with the times like everyone is.

Curious about the alternative. NDSU has only recently begun to capitalize on the riches of significant talent recruiting over the rest of the FCS while the rest of the FCS has been watering down. I don’t see the significant increase in domination from that. But it must me a heck of a catch up game to try and roll with the punches to manage it. How do you coach to a loss like Josh Hayes, what happens to the morale of the locker room?

NDSU has been/is a unique anomaly in all of its sports built on tradition and pride. When moving up the chorus of not being able to compete with local players and inability to recruit was sung. The transfers and southern players brought in that have succeeded have generally come to NDSU for a pride/recruiting/team background reason. Not because they saw it as their personal best option as a stepping stone at the time (they have hired to this in coaching but generally the opposite recruiting when successful.) transfer portal is different, i get it.

They should buck this trend and spend time focusing on more local recruits, and Jim Kramer them up. Get out of the transfer portal rat race- will be a huge focus and energy suck for the program if they allow it. Let kids call them with a damn good reason they want to come in for the team. Recruits that buy in, want tradition, understand the commitment, and want to fulfill it/graduate a Bison.

With special talent make sure to utilize them to their best ability that is best for the team, but get them some stats/and high on the NFL radar where appropriate. As an example I feel (yeah yeah likely wrong here, and i don’t commonly disagree with Entz, I like him a lot) but the main reason Jabril left for LSU wasn’t the increase in program- NFL will find you, but because he was stuck out in coverage way to much when they should have been sending him at least 15% of the time. Kid was a sack master. I realize he had a special interception talent, but it amounted to a qb not throwing to the guy he was covering and no stats for him. Sacks would have lead to more turnovers than what he was able to gather out in space anyway.

Kids are going to leave, but this can be reduced focusing on more local kids at the expense of some *perceived* incoming talent that the NDSU strength/conditioning and football education has been very good at overcoming. Focus on Bison Pride, and don’t allow it to be a significant consideration to bring in outside kids who haven’t put in the time over current recruits.

I would want my kid to choose a program like that. Commit to my kid and i will strongly encourage them to commit to you, and re-commit to you when the new opportunity comes calling. Parents/kids who wouldn’t want that? Well that hasn’t really been a huge part of NDSU’s tradition anyway.

We have already seen this play out when the focus shifted to significant numbers of players out of the region... ask Texas Tim Brewster. i know a local guy that turned down a full scholarship offer at NDSU in the late 90’s partially because of it.

If you enjoyed that rant, tune in regularly for more curmudgeon thinking!

My thoughts on the transfer portal:

1. It's not going away
    2. I think we see more transfers this spring than we will see in future years (since they could play this spring season, or part of it, and not lose a year of eligibility... IOW you can't transfer mid season from NDSU to Alabama in a regular season, but this year is fucky)
    3. The FCS teams that adapt best will succeed. Bring in FBS/D2 transfers to plug gaps from those that leave
    4. G5 won't fix the problem. Even Boise St has 7 kids leaving for bigger/better opportunities. https://247sports.com/college/boise-...ransferPortal/
    5. Even P5 like MN has 8 in the portal https://247sports.com/college/minnes...ransferPortal/
    6. Alabama has 6 in the portal as well for 2021 alone https://247sports.com/college/alabam...ransferPortal/ and had 11 in 2020 https://247sports.com/college/alabam...ransferPortal/

It's just the new reality of college football. Basically you get 1 shot at free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    My thoughts on the transfer portal:

1. It's not going away
    2. I think we see more transfers this spring than we will see in future years (since they could play this spring season, or part of it, and not lose a year of eligibility... IOW you can't transfer mid season from NDSU to Alabama in a regular season, but this year is fucky)
    3. The FCS teams that adapt best will succeed. Bring in FBS/D2 transfers to plug gaps from those that leave
    4. G5 won't fix the problem. Even Boise St has 7 kids leaving for bigger/better opportunities. https://247sports.com/college/boise-...ransferPortal/
    5. Even P5 like MN has 8 in the portal https://247sports.com/college/minnes...ransferPortal/
    6. Alabama has 6 in the portal as well for 2021 alone https://247sports.com/college/alabam...ransferPortal/ and had 11 in 2020 https://247sports.com/college/alabam...ransferPortal/

It's just the new reality of college football. Basically you get 1 shot at free agency.
    Bingo. I said this last week.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Tackling has entered the transfer portal.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Tackling has entered the transfer portal.
    From NDSU? Must be looking for a D2 offer.

Spencer Rattler Oklahoma
    Dillon Gabriel UCF QB entering the transfer portal.
    He’s the active FBS career leader in both passing yards (309.1) and total offense (323.4)
    & Zach Annexstad Minn & Ohio State QB Miller in... we got room for them?

TCU rb & GA Tech rb's are looking.

Maybe we should start a 2021-2022 Portal page. I didn't see any portal threads.