Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: ISUR Opts out of Remaining Games....

Default Re: ISUR Opts out of Remaining Games....

1. A couple of seasons ago USD finished the season playing NDSU and SDSU with zero healthy running backs. We were forced to line up with an empty backfield, line up a receiver back there, or IIRC we put in a linebacker to take a few handoffs. I do not feel sorry for ISUr one bit.

2. The Redbirds may have shut it down this spring but the Coyotes decided to not even show up this spring.

3. This weekend in Vermillion is going to be ugly.

ISU football beat writer Randy Reinhardt will be on Izzo's radio show this morning in about 15 minutes (10AM CT).

https://livestream.com/forumcomm/events/8973243

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    1. A couple of seasons ago USD finished the season playing NDSU and SDSU with zero healthy running backs. We were forced to line up with an empty backfield, line up a receiver back there, or IIRC we put in a linebacker to take a few handoffs. I do not feel sorry for ISUr one bit.

2. The Redbirds may have shut it down this spring but the Coyotes decided to not even show up this spring.

3. This weekend in Vermillion is going to be ugly.
    How'd the Dakota Dome upgrade turn out? Do the lights still buzzzzzzzzz? I'd damn near be tempted to make the trip just to check the old nuclear blast shelter out.

Honestly though, I'm curious about your opinion.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    ISU football beat writer Randy Reinhardt will be on Izzo's radio show this morning in about 15 minutes (10AM CT).

https://livestream.com/forumcomm/events/8973243
    Can't listen live. Please share details as they emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    Paraphrasing but his quotes I thought were of most interest were "Brock wasn't comfortable playing true freshmen backups on the D-line" and "They lined up 2 LBs at the nose last Saturday".

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Paraphrasing but his quotes I thought were of most interest were "Brock wasn't comfortable playing true freshmen backups on the D-line" and "They lined up 2 LBs at the nose last Saturday".
    Sounds like they are thin at one position. Spack it in and call it a season I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    I jumped on late but the first thing I caught was Spack not wanting to put true freshman on the field. Especially against good teams.

The decision has absolutely nothing to do with Covid.

My question - So what happens if/when ISUr has injuries in a normal year that force them to put a true freshman or a kid "that isn't ready" on the field. Will they quit then too?

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    My question - So what happens if/when ISUr has injuries in a normal year that force them to put a true freshman or a kid "that isn't ready" on the field. Will they quit then too?
    Hypothetically... where would they be in the hunt for a playoff spot? Not sure why I think that would be relevant?

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Spring season is stupid. The teams that do it are going to be extremely thin and beat up for fall. It does not have the players best interest in mind. Sure they want to play but really is it worth it?

Don't blame you one bit Spack. Do what's right for your players.
    I agree! I’ve been around a long time and this spring football seems like an exhibition season. How many guys are we going to lose for the fall season because of a spring injury?
    But...I will say, We should have followed the BIG 10 and played what we could last fall! Spring football sucks!

My opinion is season should of happened last fall. The teams that essentially pushed it to this spring probably 70% aren't even playing anyway? That really putting some of these teams in a bad spot. I guess the human side of me agrees with Spack to a point because all sudden you could put a dent in your team for a good 1-2 years down the road by screwing someone up too bad, but if that's case you probably should just opt out of spring games? How close is it to not having enough teams for playoffs to make any sense now?

Isn't this typically the time that players really up their S&C regimen it could lead to a lot of injuries this fall that normally wouldn't have happened. I don't know if the 2 months from end of May to early August is going to allow much recovery time. Football is a brutal sport physically takes a toll on these guys whether they're young or not.