Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: College Basketball

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: College Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Bison View Post
    Great post, but, Gonzaga and Baylor were scheduled to play each other during that time so it would have been impossible for both to be undefeated.
    True they were scheduled to play. But the cancellation of their game didn’t happen during Baylors 3 week pause I mentioned which means they both could’ve been, and IMO would’ve been, undefeated.

Regardless of actual records, it is still a colossal matchup. First time since 2005 that the top 2 overall seeds are playing for the title.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    Can we talk about UCLA acting like there was no time left and not picking up anyone defensively after their bucket?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    I was yelling play defense after that shot went in to tie it with 3.3 seconds left.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Zags know how to push it. It was a prayer shot. Only so much you can do. Some times just need to tip your hat. Tikky tac foul would have put them at the line with the game tied.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Zags know how to push it. It was a prayer shot. Only so much you can do. Some times just need to tip your hat. Tikky tac foul would have put them at the line with the game tied.
    And doubling Suggs could've been disastrous since it would've left one of his teammates wide open any made shot beats you. He released the ball with just over a second left so enough time to make one more quick pass and still get a shot up. It's easy to look back at it in retrospect and say they should've made it harder on him to bring the ball into the front court but to Gonzaga's credit they immediately inbounded the ball after Juzang tied it giving UCLA no time to get set up defensively. They had to find their man first before they could worry about helping on Suggs.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    And doubling Suggs could've been disastrous since it would've left one of his teammates wide open any made shot beats you. He released the ball with just over a second left so enough time to make one more quick pass and still get a shot up. It's easy to look back at it in retrospect and say they should've made it harder on him to bring the ball into the front court but to Gonzaga's credit they immediately inbounded the ball after Juzang tied it giving UCLA no time to get set up defensively. They had to find their man first before they could worry about helping on Suggs.
    Who said to double him? Who said to foul him? If you watch the replay there was virtually no resistance to ANYONE on the Zags. No one had an eye on the ball and they were running back as a group

Who said to double him? Who said to foul him? If you watch the replay there was virtually no resistance to ANYONE on the Zags. No one had an eye on the ball and they were running back as a group

They had about 4 seconds in real time between when the ball cleared the net on Juzang's game tying layup and Suggs released the game winner. You're asking a lot of those guys given the situation and how quickly things unfolded. The guy who had Suggs gave a token effort but you could tell he was more worried about not fouling than he was about contesting the shot. They definitely could've defended it better but I don't think you can expect much more than that. I give more credit to Few and Gonzaga for not using their last TO and still executing what probably would've been the same play they'd draw up out of a timeout.

They had about 4 seconds in real time between when the ball cleared the net on Juzang's game tying layup and Suggs released the game winner. You're asking a lot of those guys given the situation and how quickly things unfolded. The guy who had Suggs gave a token effort but you could tell he was more worried about not fouling than he was about contesting the shot. They definitely could've defended it better but I don't think you can expect much more than that. I give more credit to Few and Gonzaga for not using their last TO and still executing what probably would've been the same play they'd draw up out of a timeout.
    My thoughts as well.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I would agree that it was a smart move by Few to not call the timeout there. I don't want to take away from the play of the Zags there, just disappointed in UCLA.

I would agree that it was a smart move by Few to not call the timeout there. I don't want to take away from the play of the Zags there, just disappointed in UCLA.

Never call timeout with score tied in that case. Defense is in scramble mode and you have the ball. Worst case you miss the shot and go to OT again. Zaga did the correct play and it paid off.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Never call timeout with score tied in that case. Defense is in scramble mode and you have the ball. Worst case you miss the shot and go to OT again. Zaga did the correct play and it paid off.
    In our state high school championship game taking place 3 blocks from this game a very similar thing happened. In that case there was less time but the player got a good run and launched a shot that fell short. But nobody noticed the official under the basket ruled he had traveled turning the ball over on the sideline of the other team. There were only 0.3 seconds remaining which is very difficult to score and they didn't.

I agree the right move there is to not call time out. Just thought I would point out there is a case worse than what just missing the shot.

I missed the end of the Gonzaga game because I was driving home. That's how close the end of the games were.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk