Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JUCO PG Transfer Willie Guy

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: JUCO PG Transfer Willie Guy

Quote Originally Posted by fbmind View Post
    A few initial thoughts...

1. Since Coach Sash recruited and coached him, obviously knows him well which means he would know that he's a really good fit for NDSU. That's what most excites me...JUCO guys are always a bit of a wildcard, but much less in this case...love that there is more certainty around what they are getting.

2. Along with that, he comes from a really good JUCO program that wins a lot. Again, that culture fits well with NDSU. His team has 5 guys who currently average over 10ppg...again a team that likes to share it and is well-rounded...much like NDSU.

3. Compared to our other current PGs (McKinney and Carter), appears to have a much better stroke. That has always been my biggest concern with the other two...there ability to knock down anything besides shots at the rim, but Guy appears to be able to not only get to the rim but also hit mid-range shots and the three.

4. Have to wonder what this means with Carter...starting to think he might not be back.

5. Finally, if this guy can be really solid next year, this team takes becomes even scarier. Not only can they continue to play with their current big line-up with Sam at the point, but they can also go back to a more normal look with a traditional PG. This provides the ability to really give teams different looks and make them have to prepare for a lot. It also helps what was an issue this season which was a guy that could create at the end of the shot clock and in late game situations.
    Thanks for the post----it makes me feel better about this recruit

But was wondering why in a hurry to sign a guy....maybe wait to see transfer site

I was HOPING it was Carter's scholarship---that he couldn't play anymore to level recruited him after injury

no shit... that D1 portal will be buzzing after 1st weekend od March madness
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't think we will be a real attractive destination for portal players, we have all 5 starters and top 3 rotation guys all returning plus a stud of a freshman coming in for minutes as well as another great recruit. I think guys will look at that and think it's going to be tough to carve out a role. I think we'd be better off finding a late high school recruit that's blossomed like Taylor Braun style than to hit the portal. Unless we can land a significant upgrade at PG or a sharpshooter to give us a boost behind the arc I don't think there's minutes for a transfer in Dave's rotation.

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    I don't think we will be a real attractive destination for portal players, we have all 5 starters and top 3 rotation guys all returning plus a stud of a freshman coming in for minutes as well as another great recruit. I think guys will look at that and think it's going to be tough to carve out a role. I think we'd be better off finding a late high school recruit that's blossomed like Taylor Braun style than to hit the portal. Unless we can land a significant upgrade at PG or a sharpshooter to give us a boost behind the arc I don't think there's minutes for a transfer in Dave's rotation.
    I AGREE with this OPTION too----look for a late bloomer HIGH SCHOOL recruit!!!

Just surprised they made their decision so quickly---

Heard Odell Wilson transferring too----not sure if he was on scholarship----anyone know??

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    I AGREE with this OPTION too----look for a late bloomer HIGH SCHOOL recruit!!!

Just surprised they made their decision so quickly---

Heard Odell Wilson transferring too----not sure if he was on scholarship----anyone know??
    He was on scholarship and is transferring. See the Dave Richman thread for that convo

Big weekend for Guy. He led his team to the NJCAA DII National Championship. Guy was named MVP of the tournament...in 4 games at nationals he averaged 15 pts, 8 assists and 5 rebounds a game. Congrats to Willie and his team!