Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JUCO PG Transfer Willie Guy

Default JUCO PG Transfer Willie Guy

NDSU picks up a transfer JUCO PG:

https://twitter.com/Willie1Guy/statu...022738948?s=20

I like his name already!

is his middle name "beetha"??? I hope so.

Default Re: JUCO PG Transfer Willie Guy

Here's a highlight video:

Lots of scoring off the dribble. Hard to tell from competition, but that's what I wanna see.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    NDSU picks up a transfer JUCO PG:

https://twitter.com/Willie1Guy/statu...022738948?s=20

I like his name already!

is his middle name "beetha"??? I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Da Willie kind.

If this is what the staff is doing with Knotek's schooly, at least they are putting it towards the right position.

Looks like he'll have 3 years of eligibility remaining (2019 high school grad but this year doesn't count). He's started all 48 games of his Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) career and they've still got 6 more games left on their 2020-2021 schedule. They're currently the #1 ranked team in the NJCAA D2 at 13-2.

So far this year he's averaging 11.7 points per game shooting 44.5% from the field and 43.8% from 3 to go along with 5.9 assists per game to 2.3 TOs per game. Here's his DMACC profile including all his numbers: https://www.dmaccbears.com/sports/mb...f?view=profile

Seems like a potential contributor but it'll be a big step up in competition level for him. Nice to have another ball handling option to go with Carter and McKinney... should make all of them better to have to compete for playing time.

A few initial thoughts...

1. Since Coach Sash recruited and coached him, obviously knows him well which means he would know that he's a really good fit for NDSU. That's what most excites me...JUCO guys are always a bit of a wildcard, but much less in this case...love that there is more certainty around what they are getting.

2. Along with that, he comes from a really good JUCO program that wins a lot. Again, that culture fits well with NDSU. His team has 5 guys who currently average over 10ppg...again a team that likes to share it and is well-rounded...much like NDSU.

3. Compared to our other current PGs (McKinney and Carter), appears to have a much better stroke. That has always been my biggest concern with the other two...there ability to knock down anything besides shots at the rim, but Guy appears to be able to not only get to the rim but also hit mid-range shots and the three.

4. Have to wonder what this means with Carter...starting to think he might not be back.

5. Finally, if this guy can be really solid next year, this team takes becomes even scarier. Not only can they continue to play with their current big line-up with Sam at the point, but they can also go back to a more normal look with a traditional PG. This provides the ability to really give teams different looks and make them have to prepare for a lot. It also helps what was an issue this season which was a guy that could create at the end of the shot clock and in late game situations.

only other offer is Texas Permian something? (st cloud st offer 2020)

i mean Dez is the man, lets see what this guy has
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Here's a highlight video:

Lots of scoring off the dribble. Hard to tell from competition, but that's what I wanna see.
    Looked slow to me and doesn't look like they play much defense in that league either.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Unless he's coming in to redshirt I gotta think this means DCIII isn't returning. Dez has been really solid so Dave isn't going to take his minutes away so why would we bring in another JuCo kid when we have one on the roster? Definitely an interesting add, though from his highlights he absolutely brings exactly what we need, the ability to create a shot and hit the midrange jumper is just something we don't really have. Sam could get the shot off most of the time but usually not with any space, end of shot clock, end of game, that's the type of player you need to have. Excited about the add, just curious to see what happens with DCIII.

All good points about what this might mean to the roster moving forward. I think everyone just wants a true PG to emerge to complete the lineup. I know I sure as hell do. Someone that is a danger off the dribble to replace the ball screen action that Rocky and Vinnie were so lethal with.