Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: NDSU vs. Illinois State

b15on is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default GDT: NDSU vs. Illinois State

#5 North Dakota State Bison (3-1, 2-1 MVFC) vs. #22 Illinois State Redbirds (0-2, 0-2 MVFC)
    Saturday, March 13, 2021 · 2:30 p.m. · Fargodome · Fargo, ND

TV: NBC North Dakota will have statewide television coverage with Brian Shawn (play-by-play), Lee Timmerman (analyst) and Ryan Gellner (sideline). Pregame coverage begins at 1:30 p.m. with Beth Hoole, Devin Fry and Kyle Emanuel. ESPN+ will carry the game beginning at 2:30 p.m. ESPN+ is available by subscription on ESPN.com and the ESPN app.
    RADIO: Coverage begins at 2 p.m. on the Peterson Farms Seed Bison Radio Network including 107.9 The Fox in Fargo with Jeff Culhane (play-by-play), Phil Hansen (analyst) and Cole Jirik (sideline). Extended coverage locally on Bison 1660 and 92.7 FM includes "Bison Tailgate" from 10:30-11:30, "Bison Game Day" from 11:30-1:30 and the "Bison Hotline" call-in show following the network broadcast.

Game Previews
    NDSU Game Preview Release
    Illinois State Game Preview
    Missouri Valley Football Conference Notes

The Fargo Forum
    Just for kicks: Fake punts are rare but successful in NDSU's Division I history
    Game Day notebook: Bussey becoming home run hitter in Bison backfield
    As expected, more transfers the new reality for Bison football

STATS FCS/HERO Sports
    FCS college football's five must-see games in Week 5
    FCS Spring Week 5 Predictions: Nicholls-SHSU, UNI-SIU, ISU-NDSU + More

The Pentagraph
    Illinois State football in search of first victory against powerful North Dakota State
    Illinois State football falls to 22nd in national rankings
    Last edited by b15on; 03-13-2021 at 06:45 PM.
    137-13 Official Bison GDT Starter

Default Re: GDT: NDSU vs. Illinois State

If we win today...that’s called a winning streak. Do the same gameplan as last week and we will roll the struggling redbirds.

Bison: 27
    Angry Birds: 10
    Last edited by Bison03; 03-13-2021 at 01:01 PM.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    If we win today...that’s called a winning streak.
    The last one started with two in a row too. Maybe it's a sign.

(Actually, now that I look, that second win was over the Redbirds)
    How the great high-arching heaven
    Looks and laughs upon it all!

Having watched ISUR's game last week, this should be a showcase for offensive futility. Defense and special teams will be the difference. Bison 1, Redbirds 0.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

BisonHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Watching Trey's pro day to watching Zeb's game. It is going to be like me getting out of the jumbo jet and walking to my mini van after being on vacation.
    you mess with the ^Bison^ you get the horns

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonHorns View Post
    Watching Trey's pro day to watching Zeb's game. It is going to be like me getting out of the jumbo jet and walking to my mini van after being on vacation.
    A more apt comparison would be a Tesla model X vs an early model Ford Pinto with a leaky head gasket.

Things I’ll be watching today include

- Illinois State D
    In last season’s 9-3 playoff loss to NDSU, the Redbird defense finished the day with a sack, 7 TFLs and held the Bison offense to just 263 yards of total offense. ISU D was also stout against Top 5 Northern Iowa last week in the 20-10 Panther victory. So far this season ISU is only allowing 85 rushing yards per game......

- John Ridgeway - what a great football name! - Big John (6’ 6” 330 SR) was a problem last year for the Bison. Sometimes big 3/4 defense Nose Tackles do that to the Bison inside running game

- Illinois State depth on their 3 man DLine.
    They lost starting DE Jason Lewan (6’ 6” 305) for the season to injury against UNI.
    Another DE, Jude Okolo, is in concussion protocol. Is he cleared to play?
    News articles earlier in the week said he would not play, but could that be some coaching gamesmanship by Coach ‘Stache?

- NFL prospect Drew Himmelman (6’ 10” 325 LT)
    Can the Bison get any pass pressure on his side? That would be a great benefit to shutting down the Redbirds passing game. Or does he handle his island well? Then the other OLine/TE/RB can help pass block elsewhere. NDSU’s pass rush is causing problems so far this year and is a deep group that is tough to wear down. Keeping QB Bryce Jefferson uncomfortable in the passing game is huge, ISU struggled passing against UNI. If NDSU can keep the Redbirds one-dimensional on offense......could be a comfortable game for the Bison.

- If QB Bryce Jefferson struggles, does Coach ‘Stache try backup QB Jackson Warring? 6’ 3” 215 true freshman - is he a better prospect passing the ball?

- Does NDSU try and establish the outside run 1st, spread the field and then work their way back inside? Similar to last week. With the smallish Bison RB group, could make sense.

- Speaking of RB’s, does TK Marshall make his debut today? True Freshman (5’ 11” 199) was a good get in recruiting for NDSU, along with Dominic Gonnella, and would add to the depth of the group. Any Hunter Luepke sightings?

- More of what Zeb Noland does well, and less of what he doesn’t do well?
    More play-action short passes to RB’s and TE’s?
    Less slow developing RPO’s and RRO’s?
    How about a RPO as play-action, then hitting TE’s if the LB’s are drawn in?
    The ISU outside backers are only 6’ - just a thought......

- Which offense does NDSU have today?
    1st half Missouri State or 2nd half Missouri State?
    I’m hoping for the 1st half version......

GoBizon!!!
    Last edited by bruinbison; 03-13-2021 at 12:35 PM.

I'm hoping it's the Bison offense from neither half vs SIU bruin (assuming you meant Missouri St ).

Don't know why but I've got a good feeling about today. Maybe it's the beautiful weather and maybe it's absolutely nothing at all and I'll be completely wrong but I get the feeling that the Bison are going to start looking like the Bison again today.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'm hoping it's the Bison offense from neither half vs SIU bruin (assuming you meant Missouri St ).

Don't know why but I've got a good feeling about today. Maybe it's the beautiful weather and maybe it's absolutely nothing at all and I'll be completely wrong but I get the feeling that the Bison are going to start looking like the Bison again today.
    Wow! That I gotta fix!!!
    Time for breakfast and coffee!
    Only had 2 beers at the Vet’s Club in Hillsboro last night...but must be groggy...
    What is a Stumplifter??? Maybe that would do it...

If we run up the middle more than 4/5 times in the first half it will be telling as to our coach's ability to understand this year's team, game plan for our opponent and make adjustments week to week, imo.