Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU vs Illinois State Preview

Default NDSU vs Illinois State Preview

Illinois State D only allowed 239 yards in the 20-10 loss at #3 Northern Iowa

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/co...mpression=true

Bad news for the Redbirds - lost a couple DLinemen to injury during the UNI game

Randy Reinhardt
    @Pg_Reinhardt
    ·20h

Really bad news for the Illinois State defense. Lineman Jason Lewan will miss the rest of the spring season as well as the entire fall season after suffering an injury last Saturday at Northern Iowa.
    Randy Reinhardt
    @Pg_Reinhardt
    ·20h

Illinois State also will be without D lineman Jude Okolo for Saturday's game at North Dakota State. Okolo is in concussion protocol.
    Jason Lewan is a 6’ 6” 305 starting DE in the Redbirds 3-4, so will make them a little smaller up front. They still have 6’ 6” 330 NT John Ridgeway, whom the Bison struggled against. Jude Akolo is the backup DE, so ISU’s depth will be challenged against NDSU.
    Last edited by bruinbison; 03-10-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Default Illinois State Preview

What do we know about Sprack's team this year?
    0-2
    Have they given up since playoffs are virtually unattainable?
    Will they play like their lives are on the line?
    Do they have Talent still?
    What's their Defense like?
    How is their prevent defense with :15 seconds left in 1st half?

its wednesday and I have no idea to any of those questions:
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Default Re: Illinois State Preview

I hope Roehl and the Bison offense aren't too stubborn about insisting on running between the tackles. I assume he's healthy but their DT John Ridgeway (#99) is a dude. He was one of the main reasons the Bison offense struggled so much against ISU in the 2019 quarters. Don't make our smallish RBs into something they're not. Let them use their speed and elusiveness outside/off tackle.

Here's a rundown from one of their posters on AGS who is normally pretty homerish (TL;DR he doesn't expect a lot from them this spring mainly due to offensive ineffieciency)

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird 4th & short View Post
    Per my post 2 pages back, our defense will be very solid, but in no way will be dominant like 2019 or like we expected heading into fall 2020. We lost 3 stud starters due to pandemic : all conference DE McKnight (transfer, FBS starter), Safety Uphoff (preparing for NFL, Reese's top Safety) and CB Taylor (transfer, FBS starter), plus 1 due to normal graduation (Kirk). And our 7 deep at LB in 2019, lost 4, though have 3 starters back and picked up FBS LB from Tennessee who should be good.

So defense will be good, but took big hits to depth from 2019. We'll be good but not dominant .. need to stay healthy on defense, and need offense to figure out how to move chains and clock. Or the lack of depth on defense will become a problem this spring.

Real problem is on offense ..

Offensively .. we didn't just lose RB James Robinson who was 90% of our offense in playoff run after our QB Davis went down and our 2nd string stud RB Proctor (500 rush yards) both went down with injuries late in season .. so no starting QB and no serious back up RB is why Robinson suddenly carried 40 times a game the first 2 rounds. Note, we threw just 26 passes in 3 playoff games combined.

Well Mrs Lincoln, we have some more bad news .. we've since lost QB Davis (decided to prepare for post college football - perplexing I know !) and we just learned our 2nd string stud RB Proctor left the program. Now our 2 deep at all the skill positions is filled with a lot of FR & SO, mostly unproven and undeveloped.

Bottom line, there will likely be no seniors and just 1 junior (stud WR Edgar) in our skill positions 2 deep on offense this spring (excl TE) .. maybe even our 3 deep as well.

Returning starter stats are very low at QB and RB.

RB: returning 100 of 2700 rush yards returning (2,000 Robinson, 500 Proctor).Note, we love our crop of 3 RS FR RBs, plus a true FR ... but they are completely unproven. You will see a lot more speed and agility, and depth that could pan out sooner than I think. Most RB reps will be the 3 RS FR and 1 SO.

QB: returning 46 of 268 pass attempts - we like dual threat SO QB Bryce Jefferson. Keeps his cool in pocket, can run, and seems to see the field. He might develop as passer, but he threw just 26 passes in 3 playoff games .. needs a lot of work, but proved he could handle big stage in playoffs .. except Robinson is gone. And now our #2 this spring is a true FR from a small HS ... yikes.

WR: returning 100 of 130 receptions returning - given how many starts we lost to injury at WR, and how much we love our depth and youth at WR, this position group is very strong and has much more upside. Problem is, we don't know if we have a QB who can even throw for sure yet.

TE: were pretty good here, but TE is not really a skill position at ISU .. they are mostly offensive lineman who go in motion a lot and block down field.

So, I'm just not optimistic about spring 2021. 4th is highest I would put us - this will mean, our youngs guys on offense are developing, and we didn't have a lot of injuries on defense. More likely, going to be lower ... 5th is much more realistic top side.

I'll probably be much more optimistic on offense in fall 2021 and beyond .. we are very deep with young skill guys we like a lot on offense. And I never worry about defense with Spack ... his defenses are always good to very good .. almost always top 3 in MVFC, by far the toughest defenses in FCS.
    Might be another 9-3 game.

Default Re: NDSU vs Illinois State Preview

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Illinois State D only allowed 239 yards in the 20-10 loss at #3 Northern Iowa

Bad news for the Redbirds - lost a couple DLinemen to injury during the UNI game

Jason Lewan is a 6’ 6” 305 starting DE in the Redbirds 3-4, so will make them a little smaller up front. They still have 6’ 6” 330 NT John Ridgeway, whom the Bison struggled against. Jude Akolo is the backup DE, so ISU’s depth will be challenged against NDSU.
    Ah... didn't see this one but posted in Chapo's thread. I mentioned their DT Ridgeway also... I hope the Roehl and the offense respect how good he is and don't insist on trying to pound our smaller RBs inside the tackles at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Ah... didn't see this one but posted in Chapo's thread. I mentioned their DT Ridgeway also... I hope the Roehl and the offense respect how good he is and don't insist on trying to pound our smaller RBs inside the tackles at him.
    Yes! Establish the outside run 1st similar to Missouri State....
    Then work back inside

Randy Rheinhardt’s UNI game summary:

Sounds like the Redbirds are still challenged in passing game

Jefferson completed 13 of 27 passes for just 70 yards. Tight end Tanner Taula hauled in four of those tosses for 28 yards.

good info.
    yea I was hoping they'd give us on the season already.
    A FAST START is imperative.... might actually get their dobbers down asap.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Could be a classic "immovable object vs unstartable force" scenario.

I was wondering why I would see Illinois State OT Drew Himmelman in NFL draft simulators, now I know why:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/footb...llege-football

According to Kolpack he declared for the draft but opted to play, for the experience, during spring season.
    Another biig dude for the Redbirds - 6’ 10” 325

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

will this be a repeat of the playoff game? and pretty much what we have seen so far this spring?
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by BISONBRI53 View Post
    will this be a repeat of the playoff game? and pretty much what we have seen so far this spring?
    I sure fuckin hope not.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery