Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 NCAA Tournament

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Franek with the 8 seed. Will have to go thru #1 seed Deakin of Northwestern in the quarters. Would love to see him wrestle to his seed and make All American. I think he does.
    Last edited by PaBizon; 03-10-2021 at 10:45 PM.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Weber gets the 9 seed and faces Andrew sparks from the gophers in round one.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The dreaded 8 or 9 seed.

Pentz seeded #31 faces #2 seed Schultz from Nebraska

Metz gets the 22nd seed and faces Elam from Mizzou who pinned Metz earlier this year

Just got a chance to look at the brackets and I have mixed opinions on the spots the NDSU guys are in.

At 157, Franek has a verrrrrrrry real chance to AA. His match against Kendall Coleman from Purdue will be absolutely huge. If he wins that, he'd lose to Deakin in the quarters, but then likely have Jacori Teemer to AA. That is as good as it gets. Teemer and Coleman are both super talented, and both beat Franek last year in super close matches, but both have flaws in their repertoire. If Franek loses to Coleman in round 2, I still think he makes the blood round, but then would have Brayton Lee out of MN. I just can't see him winning that one.

At 165, I absolutely hate Weber's draw, even though he is the 9 seed. If Andrew Sparks is healthy (which is a big if after he tweaked his knee at B1Gs), he is the favorite vs Weber. The kid is insanely talented and only getting better as a true freshman. Just a reminder, NDSU was a finalist for Sparks, but he chose MN. If he wins that, he would get Shane Griffith of Stanford. Griffith is great and dominated Fogarty a couple of times, but hasn't looked like his usual self this year. Like pretty much the whole Stanford team this year, Griffith has limited mat time, but I still can't see Weber winning that one. He has to win the first one vs Sparks to AA. Losing that one gives him Tucker from Michigan State and then either Ethan Smith or Travis Wittlake. Both those guys are great. If he wins vs Sparks and loses vs Griffith, he would likely have Joe Lee of Penn State. He would have a number of options for the next match, all winnable, which would get him to the blood round. There, he could face any of 6 guys who are very good, but not unbeatable. Moral of the story, win the first match vs Sparks, and he has a workable path to AA.

At 197, I was hoping Pentz would be in a pigtail match, but he got seeded just above that. I don't like his first round draw as Schultz can match his physicality and strength. In the wrestlebacks, I would pick Pentz over Jacob Koser. If Pentz were to win that, he would have another winnable match vs probably Jake Jacobsen. Should he get by that one, he would have one of Adams, Buchanon, Woodley, or Elam. Honestly, after watching him face Buchanon, I could see him winning that one and the smaller Elam is a paper tiger IMO. If he somehow pulled off 3 upsets in a row, he would likely have Bonacorsi or Norfleet to AA. Pentz will be an underdog in every match, but I actually think he is set up as well as possible to make a run in the wrestlebacks. Will that happen? Probably not. Could it happen? Sure

Metz has a rematch vs Elam. He forced a throw vs Elam the first time in a tight match. If Metz wrestles like he did at B12s, he can win this. If he did win, he would have Gremmel from ISU. The staff knows that if this matchup happens, Brandon cannot be on bottom at any point and he has to win this from neutral. A loss in round 1 would give him a very winnable match vs Schuyler. After that, he would probably have Christian Lance, which is winnable. After that, he would likely have Brian Andrews, who he had on the ropes at B12s. Win that, and he's in the bloodround vs Laird or Wilson...and he has beaten Wilson twice. All of Metz' matches will be tough, but he has a shot in all of them. Even with a first round loss, his likely path to AA would be as good as you could possibly hope for.

Franek up 2-0 after a quick takedown

2-0 lead and 2:25 of riding time after 1 period. Franek starts the 2nd period on bottom

Great start.

Quick escape extends the lead to 3-0

Franek in control with a 3-0 lead heading to the third, riding time point nearly locked as well.

They start neutral in the third