Default Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Franek had 5 losses this year

Jacques Mizzou national qualifier
    Teemer 4th place
    Deakin 3rd place
    Carr (twice) National Champion
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Shane Griffith wins the title at 165. Luke Weber led him until the final minute of the match in his 2nd match

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    I definitely see March making the jump and being a National Qualifier. I’m sure it wasn’t easy for Nelson to have to drop a weight during the season. If he can successfully adjust to that weight from the start of season I see him qualifying too. Seeing Carlson from SDSU be an All American should give Droegemueller the confidence to make it next year too. I’m hoping there’s a freshman that can step in and make some noise too. Maybe Negrete
    Preaching to the choir my man. Really hope we get 125 figured out, if March improves from the bottom I think he makes a jump. Nelson and Dylan will be the wildcards whether ndsu makes a jump from 6th in the big 12 to 3/4

Quote Originally Posted by Portlandbison View Post
    Preaching to the choir my man. Really hope we get 125 figured out, if March improves from the bottom I think he makes a jump. Nelson and Dylan will be the wildcards whether ndsu makes a jump from 6th in the big 12 to 3/4
    I'm probably crazy, but it seems possible for everybody on the team to be a NQ. I think we all agree on Franek, Weber, Pentz, Metz, March, Droegemueller, and the potential we see in Nelson. Midkiff was on pace to be qualify last year before he got hurt, so I hope he can get back to that. JVM has been just outside of the top 33 ever since he was a freshmen. He's basically stayed there since then, but it wouldn't take too much of a jump for him. For me, the last piece of the puzzle is Brenner stepping into the line-up, after being behind Fogarty and Weber the last couple years.

PaBizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    I'm probably crazy, but it seems possible for everybody on the team to be a NQ. I think we all agree on Franek, Weber, Pentz, Metz, March, Droegemueller, and the potential we see in Nelson. Midkiff was on pace to be qualify last year before he got hurt, so I hope he can get back to that. JVM has been just outside of the top 33 ever since he was a freshmen. He's basically stayed there since then, but it wouldn't take too much of a jump for him. For me, the last piece of the puzzle is Brenner stepping into the line-up, after being behind Fogarty and Weber the last couple years.
    I think Weber comes back. If so Fogerty and Habisch battle for 174.
    Bison fans are blessed. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaBizon View Post
    I think Weber comes back. If so Fogerty and Habisch battle for 174.
    I hope so too, but I think I remember somebody mentioning to me he has a job lined up. But I like to drink so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly (for my selfish reasons as a fan I hope I am).

I don't think you guys are far off. Every guy has shown the ability to qualify next year.

Midkiff needs to be healthy and to improve significantly from this year. 2020 Midkiff was really good, but he didn't look the same this year. We won a total of 1 match between duals and the B12 tourney at 125.
    March was good enough to qualify this year. Where I want to see him improve most is from neutral. He takes too many straight on shots without a setup. If he were to improve from neutral, he'd be able to get to work on top more, where he is already good.
    Dylan is right with the guys in the 10-30 range, he just needs to improve in a couple areas. If he can get quicker at finishing his shots, that'd be the best thing for him. While he's a good scrambler, quick, clean finishes are what he needs to beat Carlson and his ilk.
    Jaden has all of the physical tools, just needs to be more aggressive. He sits back and lets others dictate pace and action too often. A few years back he was letting it fly in freestyle, and really racking up the points and quality wins. He also needs to get better/more active on bottom.
    If Franek can wrestle like he did against Coleman, Deakin, and Teemer consistently, he's an AA next year. The thing that could take his game to a new level would be improvement from top. He got his first career pin this year, but he doesn't turn guys often.
    Brenner seems to be our best option here. He's a potential national qualifier here and is solid all around. Would like to see him improve on top.
    Habisch has a great motor, but an unrefined approach. Needs to develop some setups and avoid straight on attacks. Solid rider, but didn't see him turn guys much. IMO, he just needs to wrestle a ton of matches. He has only wrestled 9 matches in his two years on the roster.
    I think Nelson has the potential to take a major leap next year. He will have an offseason to prepare his body for 184, which should be a big plus. I love his pace and activity level, he just needs some refinement. Better setups, fewer shots straight on from space, and he'll make a jump. Needs to work on scrambling too.
    Pentz is the pretty obvious guy most likely to make a major jump next year. Has to be brimming with confidence after NCAAs, and will have a whole offseason to train and get his mind and body right. He had been off the mat for years and had to lose 30+ lbs very quickly to get in the lineup. More mat time and getting used to 197 will be big for him. Would like to see him develop a good hi-c, ankle pick, or swing single. He's so long and strong that he should be able to get to guys legs and finish.
    Metz need to be able to get to a quick snatch single or blow through a double every match. He has the quickness and power to do it, just needs to commit to it. Improvement on top would be a very welcome development.