Page 93 of 115 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyler Roehl's over

Default Re: Tyler Roehl's over

+1 Offense was not sexy, was even frustrating at times but it was good enough. Defense was not NDSU caliber. Not by a long ways.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I’ve already admitted that D was a major problem this year, but if you’re happy with the Offense play-calling, good for you. Many of us are not, and for good reason.

Say hi to Tyler for us next Thanksgiving…
    The D wasn't a MAJOR problem either in my opinion (top 20 total D, top 10 scoring D in FCS). Just wasn't as dominant as D's in the past. We just didn't stack up vs a team as good as we've ever seen this year (bound to happen at some point).

I don't know if he's good or not. But statistically his offense did pretty well and ran the same concept we've ran for the entire championship run. He lost a walter payton finalist, a possible NFL tight end and OL depth to injury. They lost in the title game to a squad as good as we've ever seen. If we stop with the boring, pounding teams into submission offensive philosophy, I think we'll lose what makes NDSU special. Just offering a different opinion on a thread calling out the OC that had an offense in the national title game.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderingherd View Post
    The D wasn't a MAJOR problem either in my opinion (top 20 total D, top 10 scoring D in FCS).
    You mean other than not being able to tackle, pressure the QB or get off the field on 3rd downs right?

BisonHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Defense had problems. One of them was an offense that went 3 and out all game long. Apparently running the quarterback every other play is stupid.
    you mess with the ^Bison^ you get the horns

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

There's definitely room for improvement with the offense, but it did gain 420 yards and averaged 6.4 yards per play against a defense that allowed 274 ypg and 4.6 yards per play for the year. Yeah there were 3 turnovers, but I chalk the last 2 up to having to sling it and force the issue more than normal. 90% of the issues that need to be focused on are on the other side of the ball.

The D wasn't a MAJOR problem either in my opinion (top 20 total D, top 10 scoring D in FCS). Just wasn't as dominant as D's in the past. We just didn't stack up vs a team as good as we've ever seen this year (bound to happen at some point).

I don't know if he's good or not. But statistically his offense did pretty well and ran the same concept we've ran for the entire championship run. He lost a walter payton finalist, a possible NFL tight end and OL depth to injury. They lost in the title game to a squad as good as we've ever seen. If we stop with the boring, pounding teams into submission offensive philosophy, I think we'll lose what makes NDSU special. Just offering a different opinion on a thread calling out the OC that had an offense in the national title game.
    I have no problem establishing the run, that’s the best way to try and win any football game and I’m glad I root for a team where it is their MO.

My issue is 2 things: 1. How they run the ball, and 2. Making adjustments when 1 isn’t working.

I’m sorry, but running with Cam on that first 3-and-out when it was 3rd and 5 is just plain stupid. Running Cam with any regularity, and continuing to hammer the power gaps against that SDSU front 7, was less than optimal gameplan. Then, when down by 3 plus scores and we are still running the ball roughly 50% of the time. Make some adjustments. Get creative. Call a screen pass for fucks sake. Anything.

And this is just one example. One game. You mentioned when TR had Trey in 2019 how much more effective his play calls were. I agree, totally. That’s not a strength of our coaches, it’s the players carrying poor coaching (they’re not even their players). Speaking of, look at what Roehl was able to do at home against Illinoise State in the 2019 playoffs… anyone overly impressed with that Offensive performance? I can’t even take credit for pointing it out but it’s such a good example of how to squander superior talent on a stubborn, boring, stupid offensive philosophy…
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

I have no problem establishing the run, that’s the best way to try and win any football game and I’m glad I root for a team where it is their MO.

My issue is 2 things: 1. How they run the ball, and 2. Making adjustments when 1 isn’t working.

I’m sorry, but running with Cam on that first 3-and-out when it was 3rd and 5 is just plain stupid. Running Cam with any regularity, and continuing to hammer the power gaps against that SDSU front 7, was less than optimal gameplan. Then, when down by 3 plus scores and we are still running the ball roughly 50% of the time. Make some adjustments. Get creative. Call a screen pass for fucks sake. Anything.

And this is just one example. One game. You mentioned when TR had Trey in 2019 how much more effective his play calls were. I agree, totally. That’s not a strength of our coaches, it’s the players carrying poor coaching (they’re not even their players). Speaking of, look at what Roehl was able to do at home against Illinoise State in the 2019 playoffs… anyone overly impressed with that Offensive performance? I can’t even take credit for pointing it out but it’s such a good example of how to squander superior talent on a stubborn, boring, stupid offensive philosophy…
    I’ve never mentioned TR, trey and 2019. But whatever gets ya to sleep at night punkin

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Literally an entire roster of NFL dudes and John Ridgeway almost beat NDSU single handedly.

Edit, this should have read: NDSU had literally an entire roster of future NFL dudes and John Ridgeway almost beat them single handedly
    Last edited by reformedUNDfan; 01-31-2023 at 05:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    Literally an entire roster of NFL dudes and John Ridgeway almost beat NDSU single handedly.
    I’m not following.

Edit: I’m misreading things a little today. I think a comma after “dudes” would have helped.

I’ve never mentioned TR, trey and 2019. But whatever gets ya to sleep at night punkin
    I misread your Walter Peyton finalist comment as referring to Trey, not Luepke, punkin.

Points stand.