Page 15 of 115 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyler Roehl's over

Default Re: Tyler Roehl's over

Fwiw I thought the play calls yesterday were fine! But if the defense is 100% sure that your QB cannot complete a forward pass, for an entire f*cking season, your Offense aint gonna work well.

Its really a chicken or the egg question. Can you say that last year was ONLY good on offense because of the talent, but this year we're bad on offense ONLY because of the coaching?? Seems like if you think that, you are ignoring data that is inconvenient to your narrative, and only embracing data that confirms your biases.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Could it also be not having a lot of players we should have had as it stood after the last NC? I mean, there have been a lot of players go into the portal, or declare, or just quit to move on. Lost Cofield to the portal, Johnson Wilson to injurie. Lance and Radunz to the draft. Down linemen. Sproles and Mathis out (this one is massive in my eyes). Now...we did have a full set of excellent TEs...which were not utilized enough. Then we lose Hayes on D. And Zeb doesn't work out and we have to play a true freshmen. It sucks...but we were depleted and we still made the quarterfinals and had a legit shot at winning at the end (stupid fumble call on 3rd and 2...I mean who calls a fumble there?) Now the 4th and 7 call got an open man out there so looked to be a good call...Miller just didn't make the throw.

I'm not an x's and o's guy like CAS...I can't break down things like him at all...so I would defer every time to his knowledge on this...but to me this has to have been a tough season on the coaches to make something out of this mess. Doesn't help when we have such unrealistic expectations...I mean we are supposed to win every game by 40 right?

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    Could it also be not having a lot of players we should have had as it stood after the last NC? I mean, there have been a lot of players go into the portal, or declare, or just quit to move on. Lost Cofield to the portal, Johnson Wilson to injurie. Lance and Radunz to the draft. Down linemen. Sproles and Mathis out (this one is massive in my eyes). Now...we did have a full set of excellent TEs...which were not utilized enough. Then we lose Hayes on D. And Zeb doesn't work out and we have to play a true freshmen. It sucks...but we were depleted and we still made the quarterfinals and had a legit shot at winning at the end (stupid fumble call on 3rd and 2...I mean who calls a fumble there?) Now the 4th and 7 call got an open man out there so looked to be a good call...Miller just didn't make the throw.

I'm not an x's and o's guy like CAS...I can't break down things like him at all...so I would defer every time to his knowledge on this...but to me this has to have been a tough season on the coaches to make something out of this mess. Doesn't help when we have such unrealistic expectations...I mean we are supposed to win every game by 40 right?
    Bingo. I do think it’s ultimately on coaching to adjust to not only what the other team is doing but also how your personnel is able to execute... I don’t blame the players much if at all, but as a whole it was going to be a tough season with all the players suddenly thrust into the starting role in some key spots.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Bingo. I do think it’s ultimately on coaching to adjust to not only what the other team is doing but also how your personnel is able to execute... I don’t blame the players much if at all, but as a whole it was going to be a tough season with all the players suddenly thrust into the starting role in some key spots.
    I do think Cam should have been the starter much sooner than he was...it was painfully clear Zeb couldn't get it done and Miller gave us a better chance. A couple more full games of play could have been just what was needed. But...I am questioning how strong Cam's wrist was...

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I do think Cam should have been the starter much sooner than he was...it was painfully clear Zeb couldn't get it done and Miller gave us a better chance. A couple more full games of play could have been just what was needed. But...I am questioning how strong Cam's wrist was...
    I have avoided weighing on this QB dispute because I am clearly not a talent evaluator for football. Further I am also not a coach and I feel that for me personally I just need to defer to those people who are being paid for this and who have the benefit of witnessing skills each day in practice.

We will never know and perhaps Randy, Matt et. al. will never know whether sooner would have been better. I’m sure they will second guess themselves.

I’ll say this though - just watched the post game presser and Cam is in some pain over this and he is owning his share (or more) of the responsibility. Much respect to this young man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    I have avoided weighing on this QB dispute because I am clearly not a talent evaluator for football. Further I am also not a coach and I feel that for me personally I just need to defer to those people who are being paid for this and who have the benefit of witnessing skills each day in practice.

We will never know and perhaps Randy, Matt et. al. will never know whether sooner would have been better. I’m sure they will second guess themselves.

I’ll say this though - just watched the post game presser and Cam is in some pain over this and he is owning his share (or more) of the responsibility. Much respect to this young man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolutely tough spot to be thrown into. Don't think anyone including those critical of his ceiling are faulting his effort or commitment. Cam should keep his head held high.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I noticed a guy in street clothes on the sidelines yesterday that passed the get off the bus test. Was that Ogbu? What was his ailment this spring? Will he be back in the fall?

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

what happened with Zach Willis and both Kubas?
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

I had doubts about Roehl at beginning, but it was probably the best way to try to keep some continuity there after Klieman left. He no doubt leaned on Hedberg a lot especially on passing game which believe Hedberg essentially got a title to that nature last year. That said I remember the loathing with Vigen's play calling for 2- 2 1/2 maybe even 3 years? 2013 we all thought he was brilliant but he had some GREAT talent that year as well.

I'll say this I had a few moments this year where I was like about the calls he was making. But without execution (granted coaches still have to design a play to make it give players opportunity to execute) he got very little chance to show off playcalling. When he did he did very well (for example the steam rolling we saw 2nd half against EWU). I'll give him benefit of doubt in this stupid odd spring season we had with players leaving, players getting drafted and not to mention the OL was down to a MASH unit basically. I still believe OL can make or break how good your offense looks. I think to a point that's what Vigen struggled with a bit in the first couple years as well as his drives would stall out due to OL shooting themselves in the foot with penalties if I remember right those years. I'd grand Roehl a pass this year but if it similar without improvement next year then have at it. I highly doubt NDSU (Entz) cans him at this point in this odd year where is he going to find a replacement and then get the team up to speed in August with new system? Would be more harm than help at this point. With this young team.

Cam - I'm meh on him. He throws an okay ball usually (last play of game yesterday not withstanding in crunch time he's got to make that throw to the TE at least in arm's length of him). I said it earlier in year, he seems to have okay running skills. But from what I recall of Stick he was able to effectively run the ball better than Cam was, but he also had a good OL that year. I remember first game or two he really seemed to struggle and then Polasek really scaled down the playbook for him seems was the discussion obviously from Wentz. But he really got pretty effective I think towards the last game of the season and then not to mention all the playoff games he was electric if I recall many of us saying they should stick with him in championship game. Like CAS said he danced too much to be a running QB. He's got to hit his angle and stick with it. He cost himself several yards (and a few first downs) yesterday. I definitely was not sold on Zeb after the first 2 games, but what coaches were seeing I can see why they bounced back and forth between these 2. Zeb couldn't scramble to save his life, could throw a deep ball but also seemed to air mail it a lot. Miller was an okay runner was fairly decent on short passes. He's thrown a few deep passes but looked like he really had to wing it to get it there and seemed like receivers would have to slow up allowing defenders to make a play on the ball or receiver to break up passes.

I too am not a great football mind and delve deep into specifics of X's and O's. But I feel our defense is lacking an edge it use to have as well. There was no reason why a defense we'd been used to seeing last 10 years would have not stopped Sam Houston that last drive (at minimum held them to a field goal) but we essentially let them drive the length of the field to easily score that last touchdown when we knew it really mattered, granted first one of the 2nd half but still a TD without hardly breaking a sweat. Not saying they're terrible as they appeared earlier in year to be much worse and again they're a young crew. Tackling has always been a strong point at NDSU this year was atrocious and many here mentioned/noticed it. You'd think with Grant Olson coaching (granted only LBs) that this wouldn't be a problem being one of NDSU career top 10 tacklers.

That said I'm still on the fence about Entz. He seemed less intertwined into NDSU football than Klieman was when they hired him as head coach. In the end he's responsible for everything. I'll say his special teams seem to be best we've seen in a long time for whatever reason. That said I'm still willing to give him benefit of doubt he did do an undefeated year his first year but at that point a lot of Klieman/Bohl culture was still in place. It seems to have shifted some under his reign and I'm not really talking the off the field stuff which has slightly trickled on to the field. Just the overall vibe of the team.

Ask any serial entrepreneur and I think to a person they will tell you that they learned much more from their failures than from their successes. Hopefully this holds true for football too. It certainly explains why I have done so much learning in my lifetime.

This has been one hell of a strange twelve month period. Weirdest I have ever seen (Disclaimer: yes the 60's were strange I guess but I was just a tadpole so they seem normal to me.)

But as per Herdbot's other thread I woke up this morning and the sun was shining and there was no sky on me. It's all good.