Page 103 of 115 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1142

Thread: Tyler Roehl's over

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Tyler Roehl's over

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoose View Post
    I remember for a long time we were running back U. We had so many great RBs in the 80's, 90's, and throughout our run (sorry I wasn't around before the 80's). I can remember the year we moved Roehl from Fullback to RB have a discussion as to what happened that we have to do this and then he was one of the best and might have had a chance at an NFL career if not for his injury in camp if I remember correctly.

We just are not using our backs effectively. Yes A Gap power isn't working like it used but there are lots of other ways to get them in the running game and/or passing game without being so predictable but what do I know as I do not love the read option. Most people are running the read option so defenses get the similar look each week. Why can't we go back to our more traditional west coast offense with more plays under center. I can't remember (cause I am getting old) when we go to the shotgun do we ever have the back behind the QB in a eye set to allow the back more lattitude to read the play instead of just running to the left or right when they are set next to the QB besides the 3 back set?
    I seem to recall we set up A Gap power by running off tackle earlier in the game, getting the fat guys tired, then hitting them between the tackles. The formula is in watching old game film if you ask me, but read option is all the rage and of course coaches want to write their own legacy despite the shortcomings of that. Read option works incredibly well when said QB can read a defense, runs like a deer, and has an NFL arm. We don't have that guy anymore but keep running our offense as if we do. With Miller, we need to run the offense we ran with Walker, not the one we ran with Lance IMHO.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

I am in agreement.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    I seem to recall we set up A Gap power by running off tackle earlier in the game, getting the fat guys tired, then hitting them between the tackles. The formula is in watching old game film if you ask me, but read option is all the rage and of course coaches want to write their own legacy despite the shortcomings of that. Read option works incredibly well when said QB can read a defense, runs like a deer, and has an NFL arm. We don't have that guy anymore but keep running our offense as if we do. With Miller, we need to run the offense we ran with Walker, not the one we ran with Lance IMHO.
    Two words: This. Is. True.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    Two words: This. Is. True.
    That's only one word if you bundle!

Lardsin must go!

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    That's only one word if you bundle!
    If you say so Flo.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

RonMexico is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    That is exactly what happened. Runs to the outside in the first half, tire that D-line out from running sideline to sideline, then just blast them with power the 2nd half. They have slowly been moving away from that ever since Roehl took over.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I can't remember the last time I saw a C-gap power run. It used to be called multiple times a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Sam Herder on TwitterX: "Highest-graded #FCS offenses through 5 weeks, per PFF

1. SDSU 90.7
    2. Montana State 88.7
    3. Chattanooga 87.9
    4. Holy Cross 86.2
    5. NDSU 86.1

I doubt NDSU is going to rise in this area because the MVFC is tough, but the defense is nowhere near the top 5 - but if NDSU can start games with long TD drives instead of getting to goal-and-goal and then self-destructing, that would go a long way.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Sam Herder on TwitterX: "Highest-graded #FCS offenses through 5 weeks, per PFF

1. SDSU 90.7
    2. Montana State 88.7
    3. Chattanooga 87.9
    4. Holy Cross 86.2
    5. NDSU 86.1

I doubt NDSU is going to rise in this area because the MVFC is tough, but the defense is nowhere near the top 5 - but if NDSU can start games with long TD drives instead of getting to goal-and-goal and then self-destructing, that would go a long way.
    Holy Cross in that list didn't surprise me, but not sure what to make of UTC.

UTC lost to a bad (2-4) UNA team, but also has big wins over Citadel and #17 Samford.
    Wonder if they will be a playoff team this year and make some noise.

Here's how lop-sided our running game has become.

Through 4 games this season, we have 164 rushes. Through 4 games last year, we had 172 rushes.

This year the carries break out as follows:

QB carries total 71 or 43% of the total
    RB carries total 85 or 52% of the total
    WR have 7 and the punter has1.

In 2022, the carries through 4 games were as follows:

QB carries were 28 or 16%
    RB carries were 139 or 81%
    WR carries were 5

RBs are getting almost 14 fewer carries per game this year.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013