Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Big XII-Tulsa?

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Big XII-Tulsa?

Have things gotten so stagnant with the program that folks don't even care anymore on here? I need a breakdown of our draws.

Default Re: Big XII-Tulsa?

Between the screwed up allocations this year, a deep conference, and a lack of NDSU star power, we only have two guys seeded to make the NCAA tournament.

It isn't far fetched to see NDSU earn 0 automatic qualifiers.

Franek is seeded to qualify, but has a brutal draw with Sheets in the quarterfinals (who majored him last year) and the weight is only getting 3 spots, despite having 5 top 20 guys. If he gets by Sheets, he'll have Justin Thomas, who he has beaten twice in close matches. From what I've seen of Thomas and Franek this year, I'd be very surprised if Thomas doesn't win. He looks like he has jumped levels. If he wrestles well, he could make the finals and lose to Carr. On the other end, we could see him in the 5th place match.

Weber is the other one seeded to qualify. He will likely have Judge of Iowa State in the quarter finals, and he pinned Judge in the dual. That is a huge one for Weber. If he wins against Judge, he should have a much easier path to the third place match. I actually think Weber is the best chance for NDSU to get an automatic qualifier.

At 125, Midkiff got as good of a draw as he can hope for. He's an underdog against #4 Cardinale, but that isn't unwinnable. Then he would have Vega, who he has beaten multiple times before. If he can somehow beat both of those guys, he'd have three chances to win a match and qualify for NCAAs. Not likely, but his draw really is as good as he could've realistically hoped for.

At 133, March got the worst possible draw with Daton Fix right away. He has no chance in that one and willhave to win several matches in a very deep weight to snag an AQ spot. I'd be verrrrry surprised if he qualifies.

At 141, Dylan got a very winnable first match (which is great since Ok St entered Gfeller and he is the worst draw for any guy) and then runs into Dom Demas. The conference gets 4 spots, and I think it'll come down to Carlson and Dylan for the final spot. I think Parker, Demas, and Gfeller (assuming he is healthy) are locks and Carlson is the clear #4 to me.

Van Maanen got the 8 seed and will lose to Boo in the quarterfinals. I don't see him breaking through to grab an AQ spot, but he could do it. Lara is the most likely top 5 guy to not qualify IMO and I think Jaden can beat him. I'd love for Jaden to not run into Hunsacker in the wrestlebacks too.

174 is Brenner's spot and he has a horrible draw. He will likely lose to Plott and then the very good, but unseeded Julien Broderson. What's interesting, is if Habisch were the starter, he'd be the 7 seed.

Nelson drew the only other 197 pounder in the bracket, which isn't a good thing. While I like Nelson's future, I can't see him beating any of the top 5, and there are only 4 spots available.

Pentz got the 7 seed and has Stephen Buchanon right away. That's who Eaton beat to earn a trip to NCAAs last year, but he's taken a huge leap this year. This weight is so deep and the conference is only getting 5 bids. Unseeded Moore and Seely are both really good.

Metz is the 7 seed in a weight that only has 5 spots available. The good news is I really think he can beat the 4 and 5 seeds. The bad news is Dalton Robertson is unseeded and he is a horrible matchup for Metz. I'd peg his chances at roughly 30% to snag an AQ.

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but with how screwed up the allocations are (looking at you EIWA), NDSU is going to struggle to qualify many.
    Last edited by Big Bird; 03-04-2021 at 11:59 PM.

People care. The board isn't as active because all people talk about is politics and the whole covid vibe sucks too. We've lost probably half the posters because of politics.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Can I get an explanation for the brackets? Some weights 1-4 gets byes, other weights 5-8 get byes. Is there a reason behind it?

Also isn't there a chance the seeds get adjusted after the coaches meeting before the tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post

174 is Brenner's spot and he has a horrible draw. He will likely lose to Plott and then the very good, but unseeded Julien Broderson. What's interesting, is if Habisch were the starter, he'd be the 7 seed.
    Hey Big Bird,

I wonder if we are reading these brackets differently. It looks to me like a loss to Plott would likely put Brenner against either #4 Runyan or #5 Surrat next. Van Maanen would get Jaron Jensen in the first wrestle-back, who I think he has split with.

Quote Originally Posted by Portlandbison View Post
    Can I get an explanation for the brackets? Some weights 1-4 gets byes, other weights 5-8 get byes. Is there a reason behind it?

Also isn't there a chance the seeds get adjusted after the coaches meeting before the tournament?
    I think it's just a random draw of which guy gets the bye in these pairs: (1 or 8), (2 or 7), (3 or 6), (4 or 5).

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    I think it's just a random draw of which guy gets the bye in these pairs: (1 or 8), (2 or 7), (3 or 6), (4 or 5).
    Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    Makes some sense, I suppose it can mess with team scoring/bonus points when there are a lot of byes.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    People care. The board isn't as active because all people talk about is politics and the whole covid vibe sucks too. We've lost probably half the posters because of politics.
    Actually politics werent the reason. Many just wanted to voice an opinion. But you have an asshole who made this his personal playground . He had to challenge every post and responded to many with insults and name calling.
    They got tired of it and left. I chose to put him on ignore as there were some who still had interesting info and value. Its too bad as the whole tenor of the board has changed.

Now back to wrestling---All the covid crap has really stifled a lot of interest in all sports. Its going to take a few years to get us back to where we once were
    as far as fan interest.IMO
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Midkiff loses vs Cardinale. Had chance at TDs early, just didn't finish.

March trailing national title favorite Daton Fix right now.

Droegemueller coming up to