Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Cordell Volson

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Cordell Volson

Quote Originally Posted by CalBison97 View Post
    Subjectivity will always be an issue for referees. A human ref was standing there and chose to allow a defender to hit Burrow, 3 steps after Burrow released the ball. No foul.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...s/69853178007/
    That's a very valid point on the Burrow hit. I wondered if it looked different from the side but only saw the ground end zone view. It's very possible the R (who has primary responsibility on that) left it too soon because he saw no threat after the ball was released. The defender came out of nowhere. Or from his view was the contact minimal and more of a flop than anything. That late, you don't need much contact for it to be a foul on the QB.

My guess is the R came off it and didn't see it. Can't call something you don't see. If he saw this he most likely gets the call right. If that's what happened, this is a great example of concentration. You have to concentrate 100% of the time for 3+ hours. That's the part that's really hard. You don't concentrate for 2 seconds and take a peek downfield because you don't see any threat, you get burned and miss something. This is a very different play from the Mahomes run, so you can't compare them for consistency.

Most errors are caused by a lack of concentration or poor mechanics. That's why officials are rated and evaluated more on those factors. If you concentrate and use the right mechanics, you are likely to use consistent judgment and be correct.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    It's definitely OK to say that, and on that we can respectfully disagree. And like CAS sharing his insight into player skills and schemes, I hope I have a little more credibility than most in evaluating the actual performance of the crew.

The issue I have is all the posts I've been seeing lately all over social media about how the game is obviously rigged out the officials screwed team A or they should all be fired. There is a huge difference in those 2 approaches.

I agree totally that overreacting is completely unnecessary. The game was not rigged, the officials shouldn't be fired and the Bengals affected the outcome of the game more so than any officiating call did. The officiating could have been better than it was. The NFL (and any league/conference/etc.) struggle with the balance between owning up to poor calls and encouraging more outrageous fan behavior. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario. I think it is the number one reason why the TV Networks have brought in former officials to help explain the nuances, much like you try to here. You're insight is useful and appreciated. That being said, I can and do disagree with your opinion sometimes and that is 100% fine. Thanks for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    I agree totally that overreacting is completely unnecessary. The game was not rigged, the officials shouldn't be fired and the Bengals affected the outcome of the game more so than any officiating call did. The officiating could have been better than it was. The NFL (and any league/conference/etc.) struggle with the balance between owning up to poor calls and encouraging more outrageous fan behavior. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario. I think it is the number one reason why the TV Networks have brought in former officials to help explain the nuances, much like you try to here. You're insight is useful and appreciated. That being said, I can and do disagree with your opinion sometimes and that is 100% fine. Thanks for your insight.
    I think the same came be said about the rules analysts. If they agree with the call, they are accused of siding with the officials regardless. If they disagree, that is used to support their belief the officials suck. I enjoy it as an official, but I'm not sure it's helped to better educate the masses that much. Fans still believe the announcers more than the rules experts in many cases.

I'm actually in Cincinnati tonight. I should call Volson and apologize for hijacking his thread with this crazy officiating talk.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I'm actually in Cincinnati tonight. I should call Volson and apologize for hijacking his thread with this crazy officiating talk.

I don’t think you’re fully to blame, but since we know all future, current, and former Bison football players read every Bisonville post, it would be great if you could clear that up for us… thx.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    I don’t think you’re fully to blame, but since we know all future, current, and former Bison football players read every Bisonville post, it would be great if you could clear that up for us… thx.
    My wife went to the Meijer by our house last year and ran into a tall red-headed guy with a beard wearing a #11 Bison jersey. She struck up a conversation, and he claimed he was from Dickinson but moved here for a job. When I showed her a picture of Carson, she said it was possibly him. I doubt he would wear his own jersey in public, but it may be a way to hide in plain sight. It's still a fun, possible story. I told her it was probably Prince Harry under cover.

I'd missed the roughing the passer no call on Burrow. If they called the Pat Mahomes gets a forearm to the shoulder because at that point in the game making sure the guy goes OOB as early as possible is key to keeping KC out of FG range, as long as he didn't egregiously beat the snot out of him, and especially since Mahomes is typically a scrambler (not that he was on Sunday) ideally that get you a bit more leeway especially when you're trying to prevent as much yardage gain as possible. I just see that as inconsistent calling.

I don't know how the exception to the block in the back rule (heard or read somewhere there apparently is an exception?) works but that block in the back definitely gave the KC returner a huge advantage as it allowed the player who blocked him in the back and another player to double-team him as the returner ran by him less than 5-10 yards away.

I react to bad calls for whatever team (if it's against the other team obviously I feel great about it LOL), when I'm watching as a "casual" observer like I was on Sunday it just made it look like bad football. I'm sure every game has bad calls, it's just unfortunate that the optics of this appeared to give KC a huge advantage in the 4th quarter and essentially set them up for a game winning field goal at the end of the game. Eagles-49ers game had a few odd moments too.

I don't know that overall bad calls have increased, I wouldn't say it has really gotten any better though either. Don't disagree it would be a fine line on a lot of stuff when you're trying to be as objective as possible with what you're seeing in real time speed.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Heading to the Cordell Volson Harvey Wells County central Dakota football camp today. Pretty damn cool to do that.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Heading to the Cordell Volson Harvey Wells County central Dakota football camp today. Pretty damn cool to do that.
    How many years of eligibility do you have left? And do you weigh more than our tiny linebackers?

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by bison22 View Post
    How many years of eligibility do you have left? And do you weigh more than our tiny linebackers?
    I signed up as a 6th grader so I can go back again. I hope nobody recognizes me from playing in the devils lake eagles tournament 7th grade division the last 25 years eh.

Lardsin must go!