Page 14 of 84 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Summit Tourney

Jay is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2021 Summit Tourney

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yeah, this year's team does not have a guy who can create a shot at the end of a shot clock and it really castrates them offensively when they go into "protect the lead" mode and try to bleed the shot clock... they had a double whammy yesterday of going conservative and KC amping up the defensive pressure as they got energized. Was very similar to the 2nd game vs SDSU a few weeks back where a 15 point lead evaporated in minutes as they tightened up on the offensive end.
    This is one of my main issues with Richman. I don’t remember the exact time of the game, but MHH came around to the wing and shot a wide open 3 with quite a bit of time on the shot clock. Richman lost his mind. Eady pointed to his head telling MHH to use it. We don’t have a guy that can routinely create his own shot with ease off the dribble. So let’s not pass up great shots for a shitty shot as the shot clock expires. Play to win, not to lose.

Just looked at the line.....NDSU -3......surprised by that. Good bet on USD at +3? They have any key injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This is one of my main issues with Richman. I don’t remember the exact time of the game, but MHH came around to the wing and shot a wide open 3 with quite a bit of time on the shot clock. Richman lost his mind. Eady pointed to his head telling MHH to use it. We don’t have a guy that can routinely create his own shot with ease off the dribble. So let’s not pass up great shots for a shitty shot as the shot clock expires. Play to win, not to lose.
    I remember the exact play you were talking about and thought the same thing when Eady reacted the way he did. It wasn't a bad shot... he was open. Pretty sure they were up 11 at that point so it's not like they were untouchable.

GOB1SON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Love Dave. He is a hell of a coach. Wins a lot more than he loses and not sure what some folks want out of him. Plus he's local, which I like.

Really missing a true point guard, but when things are starting to slip, wish they would settle down and run a play to Eady in the post. He is really effective when they can get a switch.

Sometimes, gotta switch things up to get a basket when things are getting away from you, like maybe trying a little pressure on our part. We have a pretty deep bench, so let them run a bit? Just a thought.

All that said, this has been a really fun season to watch with some of the younger players coming on and Rocky playing like he has.

Maybe they can put it all together for 40 the next couple of nights, cause when they are on, it's a hell of a brand of ball.
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft-living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life...

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Just looked at the line.....NDSU -3......surprised by that. Good bet on USD at +3? They have any key injuries?
    Yes, their first team all-conference PG AJ Plitzuweit is out for the year after suffering a knee injury the weekend before last vs NDSU. They've got a pretty thin bench as well with one of their main bench contributors, Mason Archambault, playing through an injury right now. Umude is their star and he'll have to play like it for them to win (although he had 39 a week ago Sunday and the Bison still won by double digits). Komateros (#34) and Fuller (#3) are their next biggest threats and will need to pick up the slack of Plitzuweit's loss the most.

Bison have the depth advantage and the size advantage... USD has the star player advantage. Not surprised NDSU is favored.

Quote Originally Posted by GOB1SON View Post
    Love Dave. He is a hell of a coach. Wins a lot more than he loses and not sure what some folks want out of him. Plus he's local, which I like.

Really missing a true point guard, but when things are starting to slip, wish they would settle down and run a play to Eady in the post. He is really effective when they can get a switch.

Sometimes, gotta switch things up to get a basket when things are getting away from you, like maybe trying a little pressure on our part. We have a pretty deep bench, so let them run a bit? Just a thought.

All that said, this has been a really fun season to watch with some of the younger players coming on and Rocky playing like he has.

Maybe they can put it all together for 40 the next couple of nights, cause when they are on, it's a hell of a brand of ball.
    This is still my assessment as well. Sam is great but at the end of the game in crunch time when we need a true PG to create off the dribble he doesn't quite fit that role and there isn't anyone else who has proven they can. I think that's why their slow down offense suffers so much. We don't have a Vinnie who can hold it until 10 is left on the shot clock and consistently create offense off the dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I remember the exact play you were talking about and thought the same thing when Eady reacted the way he did. It wasn't a bad shot... he was open. Pretty sure they were up 11 at that point so it's not like they were untouchable.
    I get what you're saying but I'd rather we were shooting layups early in the shot clock instead of taking threes even if they were open. In that situation work the offense aggressively to get open looks close in.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I get what you're saying but I'd rather we were shooting layups early in the shot clock instead of taking threes even if they were open. In that situation work the offense aggressively to get open looks close in.
    I didn't think it was that early in the shot clock but looking back at the play-by-play it was 7 seconds after Rocky got the defensive rebound on the other end so that is a good point. He shot it with 6:17 to go when they were up 11... I still didn't mind the shot since it was a good look and he's a good enough shooter. But from then on out they made KC's defense look even better than it was since the defense knew the Bison didn't want to release the ball for the first 20 seconds of the shot clock which makes the defender's job much easier.

There has to be a happy medium between going too fast and waiting until there is no time left and jacking a bad shot, right? Can't a coach teach the team to realize the situation and work the ball a bit before creating but being mindful that they are most successful when they are a bit aggressive??

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    There has to be a happy medium between going too fast and waiting until there is no time left and jacking a bad shot, right? Can't a coach teach the team to realize the situation and work the ball a bit before creating but being mindful that they are most successful when they are a bit aggressive??
    Absolutely. I think Dave, like many coaches, has a tendency to micromanage which sometimes counteracts what a player's instincts tell them to do. "Don't think just play" is a strategy I think a lot of college basketball coaches could use more of. I know it's a super delicate balance when you've got a good lead but it is possible to run offense and look for a shot throughout the shot clock while also being choosy in the type of shots you take. Kind of like a hitter in baseball with a favorable count; don't just take a pitch but shrink the zone and look for your pitch.