Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Worst Losses

Default Re: Top 10 Worst Losses

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Where does this rank? I'm only going by games I was around for but this was way up there.

SCSU in 1995 (0-34) NDSU actually made the playoffs and beat UND by scoring 41 unanswered before falling to Pittsburg State 9-7.
    UNI in 2010 (9-16): The score was close because the defense made some playhs and UNI was inept on offense. NDSU lost almost 100 yards in sacks.
    Cal Poly in 2005 (6-37): This is probably the closest comparison.

I'd say that this is the worst loss of the DI era and the second worst in my lifetime after the SCSU game - at least with that loss, we knew that Feeney had the goods. The only good news is that we made the playoffs two of those three years - and the one year we didn't, we weren't eligible anyway,
    In the d2 natty against Troy State was a heart break loss. Lost on a 50 yard field goal. 1984 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Where does this rank? I'm only going by games I was around for but this was way up there.

SCSU in 1995 (0-34) NDSU actually made the playoffs and beat UND by scoring 41 unanswered before falling to Pittsburg State 9-7.
    UNI in 2010 (9-16): The score was close because the defense made some playhs and UNI was inept on offense. NDSU lost almost 100 yards in sacks.
    Cal Poly in 2005 (6-37): This is probably the closest comparison.

I'd say that this is the worst loss of the DI era and the second worst in my lifetime after the SCSU game - at least with that loss, we knew that Feeney had the goods. The only good news is that we made the playoffs two of those three years - and the one year we didn't, we weren't eligible anyway,
    It's amazing how vividly I remember those. Including 95 when I was a kid. What was the year that the impossible happened and the Bison just had to beat St. Cloud and we were into the playoffs. I may be misremembering but I think a handful of teams we needed to lose actually did. This was back in the days of reading d2football.com or whatever that prehistoric blog site was. They had us at like a 5% chance to get in. Then we went o St. Cloud (or was it Mankato?) and got throttled. I remember a receiver or end dropping a touchdown pass right at the goaline, about summed up the whole game.

UNI had a silver lining. It was the first game they put Jensen in (and he promptly got sacked).

Poly didn't feel shocking at the time. They were the kings of the Great West. A few years later they came into the Dome and lost by like 50 and I knew we'd turned a corner. Great program, would like to play both them and UCD more for old-time sake.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It's TOUGH for me to remember when we couldn't RUN the ball and couldn't STOP the Run in a game!!

I was concerned with early road start game at noon which seemed --guys didn't get off the bus ready to play at ALL!!!

BIGGER ISSUE---Offense likes to use our QB in the run game---non existent with Zeb

Fargo South High School beat NDSU by 4

Quote Originally Posted by GFBison View Post
    In the d2 natty against Troy State was a heart break loss. Lost on a 50 yard field goal. 1984 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, this is the worst one for me too. Hurt for like 20 years afterward. Another deflating loss was the playoff loss down in Pittsburg KS. That was the Mud Bowl (or one of them) I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    It's TOUGH for me to remember when we couldn't RUN the ball and couldn't STOP the Run in a game!!

I was concerned with early road start game at noon which seemed --guys didn't get off the bus ready to play at ALL!!!

BIGGER ISSUE---Offense likes to use our QB in the run game---non existent with Zeb
    The last time recall NDSU struggling to stop the run and getting their own run fame stuffed was the 2010 game at UNI.

Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    The last time recall NDSU struggling to stop the run and getting their own run fame stuffed was the 2010 game at UNI.

Dewey
    JMU playoff game that we lost.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by DCBison View Post
    Yep, this is the worst one for me too. Hurt for like 20 years afterward. Another deflating loss was the playoff loss down in Pittsburg KS. That was the Mud Bowl (or one of them) I think.
    That was the toughest emotionally, because that team played very well in the championship and really was a great team overall. Really loved Bentrim and all those Don Morton teams. I would separate it for those reasons.

Yesterday was terrible for opposite reasons, such poor play overall, legitimate questions about direction of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    JMU playoff game that we lost.
    I just checked the ESPN stats. JMU ran for 201 and NDSU 132.

Abdallah was killing the NDSU D in the 1st half.

From what I recall NDSU was hell bent on running up the middle and there was very little outside.

Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    I just checked the ESPN stats. JMU ran for 201 and NDSU 132.

Abdallah was killing the NDSU D in the 1st half.

From what I recall NDSU was hell bent on running up the middle and there was very little outside.

Dewey
    Polasek running the ball up the middle with time running out. JFC I was beside myself.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."