Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MVFC 2021 Spring Season

Default MVFC 2021 Spring Season

Didn't see a conference thread for the spring season so I figured I would start one plus I needed a place to post this.

I'd like some SDSU fans' takes on their frosh QB. I watched a 10+ min highlight tape of the UNI game and he looked really solid. I know it was a highlight video but I was fairly impressed with him being a freshman. I watched all of NDSU's game and comparing what I saw here the kid looks better than Zeb.

I will say it's one game, I only saw the highlights and we will see how things play out over the rest of the season but it appears the bunnies have reason to like their new QB.

The video also confirmed what I thought last year. UNI's QB is meh at best. Gonna be a tough 3 years if they don't get someone that can beat him out for the top spot.

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: MVFC 2021 Spring Season

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Didn't see a conference thread for the spring season so I figured I would start one plus I needed a place to post this.

I'd like some SDSU fans' takes on their frosh QB. I watched a 10+ min highlight tape of the UNI game and he looked really solid. I know it was a highlight video but I was fairly impressed with him being a freshman. I watched all of NDSU's game and comparing what I saw here the kid looks better than Zeb.

I will say it's one game, I only saw the highlights and we will see how things play out over the rest of the season but it appears the bunnies have reason to like their new QB.

The video also confirmed what I thought last year. UNI's QB is meh at best. Gonna be a tough 3 years if they don't get someone that can beat him out for the top spot.
    I watched the game and I thought Gronowski played like a talented freshman, really good at times and other times more average. Only major mistake was a fumble that led to UNI's go ahead touchdown, but he responded by bringing the Jacks down the field for the game winning TD. Considering this was his first college game and it was against UNI's defense makes his start look pretty good I'd say. Looks like a good enough runner too that defenses will need to respect.

Couple other things I noticed. One, Strong must be the only RB they trust, him and Gronowski had all but 1 carry. He also had 6 catches plus I think a few other passes to him that weren't complete. 28 touches total, plus he was returning kickoffs. They're gonna run him right into the ground. Two, they don't have any WR's to step up and replace Cade Johnson. Janke is their best receiver now but he's more of a solid #2 type. I'm sure they'll still have a good passing game but I don't think they'll be pushing the ball downfield as often as years past. One of their TE's did look pretty good too.

McElvain has the happiest feet I remember seeing in a QB, but I guess it's somewhat understandable because he's under pressure every drop back it seems. I did see the few times he wasn't pressured and there's no defender within 5 yards of him, he still leans back and throws off his back foot.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    I watched the game and I thought Gronowski played like a talented freshman, really good at times and other times more average. Only major mistake was a fumble that led to UNI's go ahead touchdown, but he responded by bringing the Jacks down the field for the game winning TD. Considering this was his first college game and it was against UNI's defense makes his start look pretty good I'd say. Looks like a good enough runner too that defenses will need to respect.

Couple other things I noticed. One, Strong must be the only RB they trust, him and Gronowski had all but 1 carry. He also had 6 catches plus I think a few other passes to him that weren't complete. 28 touches total, plus he was returning kickoffs. They're gonna run him right into the ground. Two, they don't have any WR's to step up and replace Cade Johnson. Janke is their best receiver now but he's more of a solid #2 type. I'm sure they'll still have a good passing game but I don't think they'll be pushing the ball downfield as often as years past. One of their TE's did look pretty good too.

McElvain has the happiest feet I remember seeing in a QB, but I guess it's somewhat understandable because he's under pressure every drop back it seems. I did see the few times he wasn't pressured and there's no defender within 5 yards of him, he still leans back and throws off his back foot.
    I'm really curious to watch how he progresses over the course of the year. Like I said, I only watched an extended highlight video but he seemed to have a bit of the "it" factor in that he looked poised and had things under control.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I'm really curious to watch how he progresses over the course of the year. Like I said, I only watched an extended highlight video but he seemed to have a bit of the "it" factor in that he looked poised and had things under control.
    Bunny staff did a good job calling plays that had him rolling out a lot too, but I’d be interest to see him stand in the pocket under pressure.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post

This is pretty accurate on Gronowski. We’re pretty excited that he performed that well on the road against that caliber of defense for his first game. Certainly plenty of things he can improve on but it was a very promising start. Has a real hard nosed put it all on the line attitude about him on the field. If you saw the highlight of Strongs first long run in the game where he bounces outside the lead blocker he has for about 15 yard is Gronowski. And not just running in front of him, he was really doing a legit block. He did a really good job of staying cool under pressure and really seems to have an “it” factor. Much more than I can remember any of our qbs having in the past.

I think some of the reason you saw so much of Strong used was because the DT for UNI was wreaking absolute havoc, that guy is a beast. So they used Strong as much as they did because he can creat plays without good blocking, he’s just that good. I’m pretty certain Davis and Meachum will start to see more touches as the season goes on.

Definitely need to have the pass game evolve more and have a receiver step up as the number one. I don’t think just replacing Cade is really that realistic, he was incredible. But as Gronowski progresses it should improve. We had a pile of good TEs but already have two of them with major injuries, but I think we lean on them pretty hard in the pass game as the season goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Hunters Safety-Treat Every Hunter as if He Were Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    This is pretty accurate on Gronowski. We’re pretty excited that he performed that well on the road against that caliber of defense for his first game. Certainly plenty of things he can improve on but it was a very promising start. Has a real hard nosed put it all on the line attitude about him on the field. If you saw the highlight of Strongs first long run in the game where he bounces outside the lead blocker he has for about 15 yard is Gronowski. And not just running in front of him, he was really doing a legit block. He did a really good job of staying cool under pressure and really seems to have an “it” factor. Much more than I can remember any of our qbs having in the past.

I think some of the reason you saw so much of Strong used was because the DT for UNI was wreaking absolute havoc, that guy is a beast. So they used Strong as much as they did because he can creat plays without good blocking, he’s just that good. I’m pretty certain Davis and Meachum will start to see more touches as the season goes on.

Definitely need to have the pass game evolve more and have a receiver step up as the number one. I don’t think just replacing Cade is really that realistic, he was incredible. But as Gronowski progresses it should improve. We had a pile of good TEs but already have two of them with major injuries, but I think we lean on them pretty hard in the pass game as the season goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I haven't paid much attention, but what happened to the two QBs that played against NDSU last year?
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I haven't paid much attention, but what happened to the two QBs that played against NDSU last year?
    It was a long road back from injury for J’Bore Gibbs, but he is in the mix

Matt Zimmer
    @argusmattz

Stig said this morning Keaton Heide was the No. 2 quarterback in Week 1 against UNI, but that who gets the backup role could change week to week based on practice performance.

Logan Penfield
    @Logan1650
    ·
    Feb 23

Replying to
    @argusmattz
    So, to be clear, Gibbs is healthy and has fallen to 3rd string?

Matt Zimmer
    @argusmattz
    ·
    Feb 23
    I wouldn't say he's 100 percent, and that was a factor, but he could have started against UNI. Gronowski won the job. Heide earned the backup spot, at least in week one.
    Here is WestSideRabbit’s SDSU-UNI game summary, including a little on the QB

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...s-uni.html?m=1
    Last edited by bruinbison; 02-25-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    It was a long road back from injury for J’Bore Gibbs, but he is in the mix
    That is so interesting to me...

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    That is so interesting to me...
    I don’t remember Stig ever saying what the injury was......
    Did he???
    Could be wrong but he went BillBelichek with it when I looked a couple times

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    I don’t remember Stig ever saying what the injury was......
    Did he???
    Could be wrong but he went BillBelichek with it when I looked a couple times
    I seem to remember “lower body injury” but yeah, no idea...