Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHAC Atmosphere

Default Re: SHAC Atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Plus having coaches like Tim Miles and Saul Phillips who "actively" encouraged the crowds (which at that time was students right behind them) at times is helpful too. Richman doesn't have that fiery personality that can ignite a crowd. That statement is not meant to be a love him/hate him statement just stating my "opinion" vs the previous 2 coaches we had.
    ding ding ding. Erv, Tim , Saul.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Agreed. I wonder if having the womens/mens doubleheader helps out???

But even though they're showing up they're still not very engaged in the game compared to the BSA days. I guess getting them in the door is the first step though so that's a positive.

Random useless memory I have from the Woodside days.... they were playing Utah Valley St (who had a pretty decent team back in the mid-2000s) and they had a coach who had a real deep voice. Anytime he would yell something to his players on the court a bunch of the students behind their bench would start barking like a big dog (think "ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO-ROO!!!"). Those were good times! (and that's another advantage of having the student section right behind the player benches)
    In our day the concept of a doubleheader would not have helped at all. But since the girls are pretty good now that may help.

DjKyRo used to be pretty good about getting some energy going in the student section in the BSA.

I recall having a lot of fun chirping at some guy from UMKC and Nate Wolters too. Would have liked to give the UND guys some hell too but they played the first couple games in the Fargodome.
    College of Business Alumnus

I remember some giving ol Ron Hunter hell and him threatening to kick their ass in the parking lot after the game. Ron woulda got his ass beat into a pulp, too.

RINGER... RINGER!!! LOL Ron Hunter and Slick Vic.

another time Unbison and I kept chirping some IUPUI guy and he asked us if we wanted to meet him outside and unbison said "what are we gonna do out there, play nintendo?"

The few years in teh hockies arena lead to student disengage

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Chapo is right that the atmosphere was better as the ol' Big Sweaty Ass as compared to now at the SHAC. I think the biggest difference is that the students forgot how to be involved in basketball games with those 2 years of off campus games while the BSA->SHAC renovation was happening. It probably doesn't help that they used to be right behind the team benches and now are stuck behind a basket.

I also don't think we need to bring the football traditions to basketball like playing Thunderstruck as an intro. Basketball needs it's own identity... they used to have Thunderstruck as their intro and it didn't really work.

But to Mankato's point I was at the men's game on Friday night and I was pretty surprised how little the crowd was engaged as the very end since it was a super tight game and those were the biggest possessions of the season at that point. That SDSU game in February 2020 that basically decided the top seed in the upcoming Summit League Tourney was much more raucous. I think the main thing is people are nervous to get loud and boisterous because of all the COVID restrictions. We're supposed to wear masks to reduce the proliferation of aerosol droplets and yelling doesn't help that.
    Students are behind a basket?? No, no no...they need a sideline section for sure.
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    Students are behind a basket?? No, no no...they need a sideline section for sure.
    Grand Canyon U gives them the whole entire side (as does Duke for that matter and Maryland I believe) and they all have crazy atmosphere.

BattleBorn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

My basketball knowledge is far behind pretty much every other sport. Heck I didn't even start watching basketball until fairly recently. Half the time I still can't tell what should be a foul, what should not, block, or charge. That said, I did get nice and spiffy in my bright yellow suit for a few road games (IPFW, Play-in Game, Duke).
    Co-founder of the Bluegrass Bison crew, Kev’s bag holder.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Grand Canyon U gives them the whole entire side (as does Duke for that matter and Maryland I believe) and they all have crazy atmosphere.
    The student section should be behind the opposing team bench all the way up and let them bark at them non stop.
    FCS Survivor Pick Em Winners
    2014: Sams Rams 2015: Taper 2016: CalBison97 2017: JDZ 2018: Bookem 2019: MrPepBand 2020: ndsubison1 2021: MrPepBand 2022: HuskerBizon and gavin2126 2023: TransAmBison
    FBS G5 Survivor Pick Em Winners
    2023: KSBisonFan
    FBS P5 Survivor Pick Em Winners
    2019: BraxtonT 2021: TransAmBison 2022: Taper 2023: oldmantutters
    NFL Survivor Pick Em Winners
    2019: HuskerBizon 2022: KSBisonFan 2023: MrPepBand

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The students, band and cheer team need to be together IMO. I have no issue with the students in the end bleacher section (designed for students by the way), they can make an impact from there especiailly when the opposing team is shooting on that end.

Everyone bitching about the atmosphere is par for the course. We have a 50% attendance limit with people wearing masks for goodness sakes. Our group of 3 couldn't find 3 open seats until we got to the top of sec 205 after walking around the entire arena. IMO we had a descent crowd compared to 99% of college BB teams. Did I mention that people were wearing masks!

Maximizing revenue in our arena is not accomplished by give the students the best seats in the house.