Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHAC Atmosphere

Default Re: SHAC Atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    The students, band and cheer team need to be together IMO. I have no issue with the students in the end bleacher section (designed for students by the way), they can make an impact from there especiailly when the opposing team is shooting on that end.

Everyone bitching about the atmosphere is par for the course. We have a 50% attendance limit with people wearing masks for goodness sakes. Our group of 3 couldn't find 3 open seats until we got to the top of sec 205 after walking around the entire arena. IMO we had a descent crowd compared to 99% of college BB teams. Did I mention that people were wearing masks!

Maximizing revenue in our arena is not accomplished by give the students the best seats in the house.
    Agree. There are no structural issues with crowd engagement. It just needs to happen. Keeping the positive momentum of student attendance is a great first step. They just need to get rowdy now and the rest of the crowd will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Agree. They just need to get rowdy now and the rest of the crowd will follow.
    Drop off a few handles of Ron Diaz down there and let nature run its course.
    College of Business Alumnus

As mentioned, the two years off campus killed the student section the same way the Turf being closed for 2 years killed students flocking their like in the past. Student attendance and attendance in general with limited capacity has been pretty good actually. They need to have yell leaders like football, or some students to just step up and get the student section standing up, making noise, and rocking the whole game. You know why at football games people put their hands up and yell “ohhhh” during kickoffs, or why people hold up 4 fingers and yell “4th down” on 4th downs, and why people yell “first down....ahhhh move those chains” Its because the students did that first starting years ago. As the student section goes, the rest if the crowd goes.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Strommer10 is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    As mentioned, the two years off campus killed the student section the same way the Turf being closed for 2 years killed students flocking their like in the past. Student attendance and attendance in general with limited capacity has been pretty good actually. They need to have yell leaders like football, or some students to just step up and get the student section standing up, making noise, and rocking the whole game. You know why at football games people put their hands up and yell “ohhhh” during kickoffs, or why people hold up 4 fingers and yell “4th down” on 4th downs, and why people yell “first down....ahhhh move those chains” Its because the students did that first starting years ago. As the student section goes, the rest if the crowd goes.
    Right on the money. Maybe the administration will do something to spark this back up next year. But I won't hold my breath. It would be awesome for the SHAC to resurrect the BSA environments of the Woodside or Braun/LA days.

I have stumped for moving the band to behind the basket as they are the rowdiest and would be yelling and jumping when the other team is shooting freethrows
    TRUST THE PROCESS

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    I have stumped for moving the band to behind the basket as they are the rowdiest and would be yelling and jumping when the other team is shooting freethrows
    The band is usually plenty loud, the problem is thanks to COVID they had to get moved further up and more spread out. Typically the drummer is on the floor of the arena and the band in the first row and up from there. Cheerleaders also being stuck halfway up the bleachers versus on the floor doesn't help. I honestly think Grant Nelson and Boden Skunberg being ND kids is what's helped the student section fill back up, they seem to get louder cheers than the rest of the team so if that's what it took to bring them back so be it. Now just need to show them what a student section is supposed to look like.

Honestly, my idea, a student section hype video. After starting lineups, before the tip of, run a 30 second clip of the old days of standing the whole game and being loud, opposing coaches yelling back at the students, our former coaches hyping up the student section, even my crew with signs and dressed up at the summit league tournament and storming the court. Just a little reminder every game that they matter and they affect the game.

I can't remember which game it was but I remember a game in the ol BSA where like single page newspapers were handed out to the entire student section to hold up during opposing teams starting lineups....little things like that just boost engagement from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    The band is usually plenty loud, the problem is thanks to COVID they had to get moved further up and more spread out. Typically the drummer is on the floor of the arena and the band in the first row and up from there. Cheerleaders also being stuck halfway up the bleachers versus on the floor doesn't help. I honestly think Grant Nelson and Boden Skunberg being ND kids is what's helped the student section fill back up, they seem to get louder cheers than the rest of the team so if that's what it took to bring them back so be it. Now just need to show them what a student section is supposed to look like.

Honestly, my idea, a student section hype video. After starting lineups, before the tip of, run a 30 second clip of the old days of standing the whole game and being loud, opposing coaches yelling back at the students, our former coaches hyping up the student section, even my crew with signs and dressed up at the summit league tournament and storming the court. Just a little reminder every game that they matter and they affect the game.

I can't remember which game it was but I remember a game in the ol BSA where like single page newspapers were handed out to the entire student section to hold up during opposing teams starting lineups....little things like that just boost engagement from the get go.

There was usually a chant that was said at that time too "Who's he, he XXcks" or "Hey, he owes me money".
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    [/B]

There was usually a chant that was said at that time too "Who's he, he XXcks" or "Hey, he owes me money".
    I also remember a fairly loud "Kansas Rejects" chant during the Kansas State starting lineups

My memory of the chant was “Jayhawk rejects”.

I also remember gene taylor running across the court after the game yelling “STOP RIGHT NOW” towards the students who were throwing garbage on the court...in protest to the KSU players who were taunting the crowd in celebration of the blown missed foul on woodside at the end. It was an amazing game even though we lost!

I think I literally got to the BSA for the K-State game before the players, the few people in front of me were running to sit at halfcourt leaving me with row one behind the K-State bench and of course Huggy Bear. It was an experience to say the least.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.