Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 25 countdown (games in the D1 era)

Default Re: Top 25 countdown (games in the D1 era)

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    That kick was basically booted directly at me.
    I got off the couch and stood with my back to the TV.... too many bad memories of last-minute FGs in my Bison fan time-line.

December 14th, 2012: Georgia Southern @ North Dakota State (FCS playoff semifinals)

The first Friday night semifinal of what became a yearly tradition in mid-December this is widely viewed as the best and loudest game in the history of the Fargodome. Georgia Southern returned a year after NDSU beat them handily in the 2011 semis. This time around the Eagles were ready to play (they came out of the locker room during the Bison intro video which I still think was pretty bad ass). It was an immovable object vs an unstoppable force when it came to the Bison run defense allowing only 78.5 rush yards per game vs the GSU triple option run offense averaging 409.6 rush yards per game. The Eagles had their fair share of success as QB Jerick McKninnon ran for 168 on his own and they ran for 271 as a team to keep the Bison defense on their heels leading for the majority of the game. With 5:49 to play down 20-16 Brock Jensen and the Bison offense went on a game deciding penalty aided drive that was capped by a 4th down 5 yard TD run for Jensen with 3:05 left that blew the roof off the dome. GSU mounted a last gasp drive to get in position to kick a game tying 50 yard FG but their soccer player turned kicker had his kick blocked by Carlton Littlejohn and the Bison secured their second straight trip to Frisco for the national title game with a gut wrenching 23-20 win.

Game highlights: Can't find a highlight reel anywhere but here's a condensed version of the game that has all the big plays (and then some) but is quite long.

Game box score: https://gobison.com/sports/football/.../boxscore/1466

Game recap: https://gobison.com/news/2012/12/15/18638.aspx

Bisonville GDT: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...CS-Semifinals)

Game replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yN1L80yOAE

The full list of games with links is in the first post of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

December 14th, 2012: Georgia Southern @ North Dakota State (FCS playoff semifinals)
    Watched this one at a friend’s house in MSP... seriously one of the best football games ever played, I think.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

GSU #2 was definitely a great game and they were an excellent opponent. However, I've always felt they might not have been as successful running the ball if we hadn't had to stop the very physical Wofford attack the week before. Our defense was a bit beat up for this game. McKinnon was amazing though and scared me every time he touched the ball.
    The white jerseys are the best. Don't even bother to argue.

Man that phantom Roughing the kicker call was a turning point...

Also, I’ll never forget McKinnon giving the “shush” finger to the end zone crowd and then cocking off for a while afterward on the go ahead score in the third quarter... I’m pretty sure I said out loud that he might regret that. He did.

I still get goosebumps listening to the crowd roar on Ojuri's long TD run (starts at the 12:00 mark of the condensed game video above). I wish the crowd got anywhere near that loud these last few years. That was just so fun to be a part of it as a screaming lunatic for 3+ hours.

I still get goosebumps listening to the crowd roar on Ojuri's long TD run (starts at the 12:00 mark of the condensed game video above). I wish the crowd got anywhere near that loud these last few years.
    So many huge plays in this game... every 3 yard gain or loss seemed more consequential than a normal football game...

So tense, especially since I had all my Frisco stuff booked.(unlike the year before when I had nothing booked) Kept thinking I was going to have to cancel everything.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Man that phantom Roughing the kicker call was a turning point...

Also, I’ll never forget McKinnon giving the “shush” finger to the end zone crowd and then cocking off for a while afterward on the go ahead score in the third quarter... I’m pretty sure I said out loud that he might regret that. He did.
    The fact that they called that roughing and not running into was such complete and utter bullshit... should've been a 5 yard penalty at the absolute most. The acting job by their punter would've made Drago blush.

The fact that they called that roughing and not running into was such complete and utter bullshit... should've been a 5 yard penalty at the absolute most. The acting job by their punter would've made Drago blush.
    That said, the roughing the passer call on the final NDSU drive was also a gift.