Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 25 countdown (games in the D1 era)

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Top 25 countdown (games in the D1 era)

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

December 4th, 2010: North Dakota State @ Montana State (2nd round of the FCS playoffs)

The Bison came to snowy Bozeman, MT in the 2nd round of the 2010 playoffs as a decided underdog against the 4th seeded Bobcats after barely squeaking into the playoffs with a 7-4 regular season. QB Brock Jensen was knocked out of this game but his backup Jose Mohler filled in nicely and it was controlled by an absolutely dominant NDSU offensive line and RB DJ McNorton as they ran for 376 yards and 6 TDs as a team with McNorton accounting for 209 yards and 4 TDs on his own. The Bison scored 28 unanswered points in the 4th quarter to bury the Bobcats 42-17. This was the focal win in the 2010 playoff run that ignited an FCS dynasty. It also spawned perhaps the greatest thread in the history of Bisonville (clear at least the next hour in your schedule and check the Hall of Fame if you're not familiar). With the win the Bison advanced to the FCS quarterfinals for the first time.

Game highlights:

Dom has a bit more extended version of the highlights on his Twitter: https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/stat...39267285667840

Game box score: https://gobison.com/sports/football/.../boxscore/1429

Game recap: https://gobison.com/news/2010/12/4/26872.aspx

Bisonville GDT: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...-State-12-3-10

Game replay: None that I could find.

Previously highlighted games:
    22. SDSU playoffs (2014) 1/30
    23. SHSU (2007) 1/29
    24. Cal Poly (2007) 1/28
    25. UNI (2015) 1/27
    HM. Montana (2003) 1/27
    I met a bunch of BVers for the first time in Bozeman and had a great time...which goes to show you that most people are WAY nicer in person, including me.

Given my adventures on Friday night before the game, and the fact that I had a major presentation in Portland on Monday, I decided to get on the road about 3 hours after the game and take it easy for the night, then get on the road early Sunday. That got me to Missoula for the night. I checked into my hotel, threw my stuff in the room and immediately went back downstairs for dinner and a drink, still wearing my Bison gear. The place was packed with Griz fans that were very happy that the Bison thumped the Cats. People kept buying me drinks and I barely remember going to bed that night. Suffice it to say that my drive to Portland on Sunday didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped.
    Insert something clever here...

We left Portland (Oregon) Friday evening and ran into freezing just past the Tri-cities that put us way behind schedule and ended up getting just 2 hours of sleep at a hotel in Missoula and barely got to our seats before the game started. I guess it wasn't that bad if Mrs. Hammerhead was excited to head to Eastern Washington the next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

December 4th, 2010: North Dakota State @ Montana State (2nd round of the FCS playoffs)

The Bison came to snowy Bozeman, MT in the 2nd round of the 2010 playoffs as a decided underdog against the 4th seeded Bobcats after barely squeaking into the playoffs with a 7-4 regular season. QB Brock Jensen was knocked out of this game but his backup Jose Mohler filled in nicely and it was controlled by an absolutely dominant NDSU offensive line and RB DJ McNorton as they ran for 376 yards and 6 TDs as a team with McNorton accounting for 209 yards and 4 TDs on his own. The Bison scored 28 unanswered points in the 4th quarter to bury the Bobcats 42-17. This was the focal win in the 2010 playoff run that ignited an FCS dynasty. It also spawned perhaps the greatest thread in the history of Bisonville (clear at least the next hour in your schedule and check the Hall of Fame if you're not familiar). With the win the Bison advanced to the FCS quarterfinals for the first time.

Game highlights:

Dom has a bit more extended version of the highlights on his Twitter: https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/stat...39267285667840

Game box score: https://gobison.com/sports/football/.../boxscore/1429

Game recap: https://gobison.com/news/2010/12/4/26872.aspx

Bisonville GDT: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...-State-12-3-10

Game replay: None that I could find.

Previously highlighted games:
    22. SDSU playoffs (2014) 1/30
    23. SHSU (2007) 1/29
    24. Cal Poly (2007) 1/28
    25. UNI (2015) 1/27
    HM. Montana (2003) 1/27
    It's OK to not be OK.

The MSU game in Bozeman is probably in my personal top 10. The whole thing was just a crazy experience. Driving in a blizzard to get there, the online ticket fiasco that put us right in the heart of MSU's fans with no Bison fans anywhere close, tailgating shenanigans before and especially after the game, the post game at BWW....it was a roadtrip I will never forget.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    The MSU game in Bozeman is probably in my personal top 10. The whole thing was just a crazy experience. Driving in a blizzard to get there, the online ticket fiasco that put us right in the heart of MSU's fans with no Bison fans anywhere close, tailgating shenanigans before and especially after the game, the post game at BWW....it was a roadtrip I will never forget.
    Couldnt agree more!!!!
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Couldnt agree more!!!!
    I think it is in my top three with the the first natty and the Illinois state natty rounding it out...,the Illinois state being my favorite game ever
    TRUST THE PROCESS

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    I think it is in my top three with the the first natty and the Illinois state natty rounding it out...,the Illinois state being my favorite game ever
    Rollercoaster of emotions.

1st GSU, MSU, and 1st Natty.

The MSU game was really special. I flew in a day early and got in after midnight. In the am I went to get some breakfast.
    As I was eating a gentleman approached me. He was wearing pressed jeans, very nice wool vest, silver tipped cowboy boots and had a handlebar moustache.
    He said Hi--my name is----------and Im a big MSU fan. Would you mind if I join you and talk some football. After awhile I noticed that we had some company.
    As we had been jawing back and forth about 10 other people had moved over and joined us, just listening to the two of us. Then he asked me if I played at NDSU.
    When I said yes he said he used to play for MSU back in the day as well and wondered when I played. I told him I was the center in 1973 when we played MSU.
    His eyes got real big and says---That was YOU!!! Everyone busted out laughing. We had actually knocked heads in that game.
    It was like that the whole weekend as far as fan engagement. Only places that were equal were Kansas State and the Montana game. Fans were just great.
    Last edited by 56BISON73; 02-01-2021 at 02:54 AM.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

December 6th, 2014: South Dakota State @ North Dakota State (2nd round of the FCS playoffs)

The 3-time defending FCS champion and #2 seeded Bison had beaten the rival Jackrabbits earlier in the year handily in the Fargodome but they faced a much different SDSU squad in the playoffs. The game was close the entire way peppered by dubious calls by the CAA officiating crew going both ways but the Bison found themselves down 4 late in the 4th quarter in the first playoff game for starting QB Carson Wentz and head coach Chris Klieman. This was the game that Legendowski was born as true freshman WR RJ Urzendowski had 109 receiving yards and 2 TDs in the game including an epic over-the-shoulder TD grab brilliantly placed by Wentz to give the Bison the lead with less than a minute to play. The game was sealed by another freshman, CB Tre Dempsey, when he picked off SDSU QB Austin Sumner's pass on the ensuing drive in front of a re-awakened and raucous Fargodome crowd. This marked the 7th straight win for the Bison over SDSU as they advanced to the quarterfinals.

Lost a couple of lives watching this one.......amazing game and equally unamazing coaches polo shirts
    Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

.,the Illinois state being my favorite game ever
    It helps to be in good company! probably the greatest day of my life. Thanks Hando.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    It helps to be in good company! probably the greatest day of my life. Thanks Hando.
    Yeah we have different takes but it was a wild ride
    But I’m used to that kinda thing I’ve sat by dipshit chapo for years and the real problem is your not used to the way I woo up dipshit when his mouth is running passed full.... he almost got us kicked out a playoff game in the metro dome..... he once threw a bottle onto the field as micheal Vick made a long run to win a game

So my previous bias effected the situation
    So in retrospect my bad
    TRUST THE PROCESS