Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
I agree. All this ASUN/WAC FBS talk is a bunch of nonsense. You’d just be paying more to play the same FB, essentially. I don’t see any new FBS conferences ever. The G5 will do whatever the P5 does, especially once they get a playoff spot. P5 runs the show and will never share unless forced, but the NCAA doesn’t want any part of it, so it will never happen.

There are only a handful of programs that could pull it off, and the Montana’s aren’t interested, it appears. NDSU, JMU, SDSU? It would take an invite, with FB-only a given for the XDSUs. There are plenty of FCS teams that play at a worthy level, but they don’t have the financial wherewithal, especially with BB and other commitments like MIH.

In ND, funding 2 programs at an FBS level – at a time when higher ed is cutting drastically and oil is hurting – would be a tremendous overreach, since a big chunk of the jump change is going to have to come from the state. You have to pay to play. That’s the crazy thing about FBS. The raised/appropriated ratio hopefully stays the same (more likely it goes down) but the whole budget goes up. FB-only would be feasible for a state like ND, but only for one school (NDSU).

What did Burgum say about FBS? "Ask me again after the Oregon game"? Well, IMO the 2020 Bison would have knocked off the Ducks, so time to ante up …
Everyone in the Pan-American conference could afford FBS football