Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: NDSU to the NFL

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North Fargo
    Posts
    4,588

    Default Re: NDSU to the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by 1st&TennBison View Post
    This thread was started not to give an impression that I am against a move to the FBS. I would embrace it if we did as I am sure the people in charge would think things through. My concern is proven by what happened to Coastal Carolina this year, they went undefeated (regular season), and at best were offered a low middle of the pack bowl game. It took Boise State 3-4 years of going 50-2 (or something like that) to gain even just a little recognition, and then they fell off the map pretty much. I have no interest in watching NDSU go Mountain West or some other similar division only to get invited to the Tampex Tampon bowl where we would need to pull a few strings........................................... ....just to get invited to that in a game against Liberty or App St for $350,000.
    Yeah, i think we all got your point...

    I think the counterpoint is— your opinion that we are more relevant winning championships in FCS than getting “meaningless Bowl invites” is potentially inaccurate, which means it’s really just your preference... and some people really don’t agree with your preference.
    #trustscience

    Bisonville Masters Pool Champions:
    2020: Vet70* | 2021: TBD
    *Honorary winner

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MSP/DFW
    Posts
    939

    Default Re: NDSU to the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Yeah, i think we all got your point...

    I think the counterpoint is— your opinion that we are more relevant winning championships in FCS than getting “meaningless Bowl invites” is potentially inaccurate, which means it’s really just your preference... and some people really don’t agree with your preference.
    Correct. This forum and this fanbase in general has always calculated that FCS 'ships are more valuable than the Cheez-It bowl or whatever. Which is a fair opinion to have. But we've also sort of over-rated the national prestige associated with FCS 'ships. The truth is that the game's TV ratings are entirely dependent upon which ESPN network happens to carry it and what other football games are on at that time. Which heavily implies that in the competition for national attention it is roughly on par with those lower bowl games we loathe so much.

    There are two other things. Our continued dominance of FCS along with the departure of the few remaining peers have both diminished the prestige of FCS since 10 years ago.

    Also those lower tier bowls are fun. I've lived in a few bowl regions and the people who come are happy and have a ball. YMMV of course, but to me playing Indiana or Nevada or whatever in Nashville, Mobile, AZ, FL, etc would be every bit as fun as playing an FCS ship in Frisco. Will it get old? Maybe for some. Has the current thing? Yes for some.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Call Delta Airlines For Details
    Posts
    3,005

    Default Re: NDSU to the NFL

    NDSU is going to do what NDSU wants. Eventually NDSU will be FBS and honestly, I will really miss the playoffs and the Championship.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MSP/DFW
    Posts
    939

    Default Re: NDSU to the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by NDSUSR View Post
    NDSU is going to do what NDSU wants. Eventually NDSU will be FBS and honestly, I will really miss the playoffs and the Championship.
    I think all of us will miss that, but even if NDSU never goes FBS that era of FCS is gone and we'll miss it.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,508

    Default Re: NDSU to the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by NDSUSR View Post
    NDSU is going to do what NDSU wants. Eventually NDSU will be FBS and honestly, I will really miss the playoffs and the Championship.
    Been there done that. My best memories and fun were on trips to FBS games. The look at the faces of their fans after beating them is priceless.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,180

    Default Re: NDSU to the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    Been there done that. My best memories and fun were on trips to FBS games. The look at the faces of their fans after beating them is priceless.
    Sitting in the north endzone seats, watching the football sail thru the uprights at Kinnick Stadium...….yup, priceless.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Why? Do you have a warrant?
    Posts
    3,538

    Default Re: NDSU to the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    So you want to jump to FBS and get a New Years bowl game invite right away? Not realistic, programs have to prove themselves. There will be struggles along the way just like our 2008-9 years in FCS but the rewards would be worth it if you can get to dominating the MWC like we are FCS right now. The opportunities would open up eventually. Rome wasn't built in a day.
    I mean, if anyone could do it, it'd be NDSU. A decade of consistent domination at the lower level, with a bunch of FBS/P5 wins. Half of the "G5 teams suck" thing is they don't win much against P5 teams. So if you already got that stigma out of the way, beat another one or two solid P5's, and win your G5 conference as an undefeated or 1-loss type team, you got a shot at the NY6 spot.
    College of Business Alumnus

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Le Sueur, MN
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: NDSU to the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Sitting in the north endzone seats, watching the football sail thru the uprights at Kinnick Stadium...….yup, priceless.
    I remember being told by an Iowa fan while walking back to the high school after the game “Why do you guys have to be so nice?” He seemed genuinely disappointed he couldn’t be mad at Bison fans.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fifty Lakes, MN
    Posts
    30,393

    Default Re: NDSU to the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    I remember being told by an Iowa fan while walking back to the high school after the game “Why do you guys have to be so nice?” He seemed genuinely disappointed he couldn’t be mad at Bison fans.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The night before the game were tailgating at the hotel. Some where during the night an Iowa fan approached me and said--" I just want to apologize for whats going to happen to you guys tomorrow." I replied--We just hope you guys show up" He looked surprised, laughed and as he turned to walk away I said--
    "Good Luck tomorrow". He stopped and got this real funny look on his face and walked away. I always wondered what that guy thought after the game.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

    When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Terry, Mt
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: NDSU to the NFL

    Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The night before the game were tailgating at the hotel. Some where during the night an Iowa fan approached me and said--" I just want to apologize for whats going to happen to you guys tomorrow." I replied--We just hope you guys show up" He looked surprised, laughed and as he turned to walk away I said--
    "Good Luck tomorrow". He stopped and got this real funny look on his face and walked away. I always wondered what that guy thought after the game.
    He thought....."I wonder if I can blow up that Hawkeye Express train with that PL fella on it"
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •