Page 190 of 422 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200240290 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 4218

Thread: What sort of thread have you made for us? A Wentz thread, if you can keep it.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: What sort of thread have you made for us? A Wentz thread, if you can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post

This play was not even reviewed. Yet they could tell they didn't spot the ball right during the other game.
    Every score is reviewed. Just because they don't stop the game and send the referee over to the screen doesn't mean it's not reviewed. The referee holds up the try until he gets confirmation from the replay official the call stands. In this case the replay official thought the receiver had already completed the catch before he was taken to the ground or held it long enough once he hit the ground. I've only seen this one angle so I'm not sure what it looked like from other angles.

Comparing this to the review of the spot are like comparing apples and oranges. They are very different situations and very different rules. Replay will become more and more involved in sports, but is it always a good thing?

Default Re: What sort of thread have you made for us? A Wentz thread, if you can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Every score is reviewed. Just because they don't stop the game and send the referee over to the screen doesn't mean it's not reviewed. The referee holds up the try until he gets confirmation from the replay official the call stands. In this case the replay official thought the receiver had already completed the catch before he was taken to the ground or held it long enough once he hit the ground. I've only seen this one angle so I'm not sure what it looked like from other angles.

Comparing this to the review of the spot are like comparing apples and oranges. They are very different situations and very different rules. Replay will become more and more involved in sports, but is it always a good thing?
    I was under the impression that a player had to "make a football move" before going to the ground or they were held to the standard of maintaining control through the process of going to the ground. I'm not sure what kind of football move he did other than get tackled.

The NFL has had issues with the catch rule for years. Too many ambiguous terms. I get that some calls are very much up to the officials opinion on whether this or that happened but when it comes to something as important and visible as a completion and then on top of that a completion in the end zone there has to be a better way of making it universally clear.

I've only seen this one angle a couple times but I didn't seen anything that satisfied ALL of the rules laid out here.
    https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...eting-a-catch/

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I was under the impression that a player had to "make a football move" before going to the ground or they were held to the standard of maintaining control through the process of going to the ground. I'm not sure what kind of football move he did other than get tackled.

The NFL has had issues with the catch rule for years. Too many ambiguous terms. I get that some calls are very much up to the officials opinion on whether this or that happened but when it comes to something as important and visible as a completion and then on top of that a completion in the end zone there has to be a better way of making it universally clear.

I've only seen this one angle a couple times but I didn't seen anything that satisfied ALL of the rules laid out here.
    Why don't they just go back to one foot w/ possession and two feet w/ possession? Why did they ever start with the "process of the catch", "football move", "successfully go to ground", "accept the football as their lord and savior" crap?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post

Football move is definitely factor but so is a time element. If you are in the end zone you have no need to make a football move to get anywhere else so time element is more important. If he's standing still when he catches it then it's more of a time issue. If he makes a football move for some reason (especially if he's moving as he catches it) that helps his case that he's completed the catch.

The fan confusion around a catch is directly related to the implementation of replay. Replay always causes rules to become much more technical and toward black and white. It has made the calls much more consistent from a very technical perspective, but it's also made catches that look like they should be catches incomplete. Is that really a good thing?

Based on the live view it seems like this should have been incomplete, but they may have used the criteria I mentioned in my previous post to rule catch. No two plays are exactly the same. Yes if you are going to the ground as part of the catch you have to maintain control or not let the ball hit the ground while loose if you are still in bounds. But if you determine they have completed the catch by a time element or football move prior to going to the ground

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Why don't they just go back to one foot w/ possession and two feet w/ possession? Why did they ever start with the "process of the catch", "football move", "successfully go to ground", "accept the football as their lord and savior" crap?
    That's actually what they do but because of replay they needed to further define possession. As I mentioned in my previous post those terms actually make the catch/no catch much more consistent. It will never be black and white though. That's just not how football works.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I get genuinely tired of hearing so many fans constantly bitching about officiating of the game. If you don't want the the refs to influence the game, play less on the margins and kick more ass. That's generally been the way that the Bison have taken care of business and I think that it works.

Many of the most vocally angry fans don't have a fucking clue about what they are seeing yet they whine and whine about it.
    Insert something clever here...

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I get genuinely tired of hearing so many fans constantly bitching about officiating of the game. If you don't want the the refs to influence the game, play less on the margins and kick more ass. That's generally been the way that the Bison have taken care of business and I think that it works.

Many of the most vocally angry fans don't have a fucking clue about what they are seeing yet they whine and whine about it.
    The challenge with the NFL is many of the games are very close (outside of these playoffs) so each game has a couple plays people can point to. They ignore all the other plays that also played a factor. The relative importance of the plays at the end of a game especially though stand out. You never want to see incorrect or tight judgement calls affect the game but I think they add to the intrigue of the game. The ball is not round so it bounces funny.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

Sometimes you take the wrong part of my post and respond to it. I understand how replay works and that those 2 plays are apples and oranges. Somebody confirmed that td during the commercial break. It's just when they came back from the break they had the td edited so that you didn't see the fumble. That bugs me. I did hear those refs will not be allowed to officiate another playoff game this year so the NFL did realize they sucked and shouldn't be working big games.

I warned Bisonville about 5g years ago. I'm smarter then you guys give me credit for eh.

Lardsin must go!

FWIW I think the Bengals play above is a catch and TD. I think the only reason it is even being questioned by fans is the NFL did an absolute horse shit job with consistency when it came to the "maintaining possession all the way through the catch and going to ground" for two seasons in a row about 10 years ago. Remember the catch and non catch by Calvin Johnson in the same season?

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Sometimes you take the wrong part of my post and respond to it. I understand how replay works and that those 2 plays are apples and oranges. Somebody confirmed that td during the commercial break. It's just when they came back from the break they had the td edited so that you didn't see the fumble. That bugs me. I did hear those refs will not be allowed to officiate another playoff game this year so the NFL did realize they sucked and shouldn't be working big games.

I warned Bisonville about 5g years ago. I'm smarter then you guys give me credit for eh.
    I don't get your first comment. You only had 2 parts to your post. One was that the catch wasn't review (I pointed out it was). And then you added that a very minor spot change was reviewed and changed.

As for what was shown after the commercial that is the TV production. Sounds like your issue is with them.

As for the refs not working any more playoffs that has nothing to do with their performance last weekend. Generally the officials who work Wild Card weekend are only working that weekend. The Super Bowl officials are assigned to work the Divisional round as well. Everyone else only works 1 game. They may be an alternate for another game but that is it. Exceptions are made depending on how they rated out during the season. If an official slated for the Super Bowl has a major error this week I guess it's possible they are pulled from the Super Bowl assignment, but they aren't known until next week so you really don't know if you were pulled. The media has taken any potential controversial calls and the officials not being assigned the rest of the playoffs as an indication the NFL is displeased with the call. There is no connection.