Page 268 of 422 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278318368 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 4218

Thread: What sort of thread have you made for us? A Wentz thread, if you can keep it.

Default Re: What sort of thread have you made for us? A Wentz thread, if you can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Personally, I'm glad that the league is taking things seriously as it relates to gratuitous contact. I love the game too much to see it struggle because of too many unnecessary injuries. If we all want this sport to be around in 30 years, we need to root for measures that limit practice contact.

For what it's worth, reduced full contact time in practice has been a thing for awhile. So has safer tackling. These have resulted in fewer injuries and the best players being available on gameday. I don’t think the quality of play has suffered in the least.
    Current day football players babied and overpaid.

Default Re: What sort of thread have you made for us? A Wentz thread, if you can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Current day football players babied and overpaid.
    That’s goes for pretty much any sport nowadays

Personally, I'm glad that the league is taking things seriously as it relates to gratuitous contact. I love the game too much to see it struggle because of too many unnecessary injuries. If we all want this sport to be around in 30 years, we need to root for measures that limit practice contact.

For what it's worth, reduced full contact time in practice has been a thing for awhile. So has safer tackling. These have resulted in fewer injuries and the best players being available on gameday. I don’t think the quality of play has suffered in the least.
    Injuries have not gone down at all. What dream land do you live in? Some article from Huffington Post?
    Making the game "more safe" isn't making it more safe. It's a violent game. Everyone who chooses to play knows this. I thinks it's pathetic that the NFL is cowering to the minority who are are complaining. The players don't have to play do they? No one is forcing them. It's a violent game. They know.
    And, do a simple search to see that injuries have not gone down at all even with these pussy rules put in place.
    If anything, players feel like they can say they are hurt when they actually are hurt now days. But, there is no way in hell real injuries have gone down, lol. It's still the same game. 99% of the injuries have nothing to do with "helmet to helmet" or "practice" injuries...practice? good lord...should they cancel that too? Just in case?

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Injuries have not gone down at all. What dream land do you live in? Some article from Huffington Post?
    Making the game "more safe" isn't making it more safe. It's a violent game. Everyone who chooses to play knows this. I thinks it's pathetic that the NFL is cowering to the minority who are are complaining. The players don't have to play do they? No one is forcing them. It's a violent game. They know.
    And, do a simple search to see that injuries have not gone down at all even with these pussy rules put in place.
    If anything, players feel like they can say they are hurt when they actually are hurt now days. But, there is no way in hell real injuries have gone down, lol. It's still the same game. 99% of the injuries have nothing to do with "helmet to helmet" or "practice" injuries...practice? good lord...should they cancel that too? Just in case?
    I've gone to several coaching clinics, primarily the ones put on by UofO in Eugene and an annual Nike one in Portland. Universally, the attitude is that technique trumps brute force every time. I've seen coaches such as Mario Cristobal, David Shaw, Tommy Tuberville, Clay Helton, Tracy Claeys, Kevin Sumlin and a few other guys teach in clinics that a reduction of full contact drills and increased reps in fine-tuning technique or running of plays is more productive by a large margin.

I've also utilized some specific defensive training sessions published by the Seattle Seahawk. Using methods that became highly refined during their Legion of Boom era, they show better techniques that protect the body of the defender (the one most likely to be injured in a tackle) and provide more sure results. At several intervals, Pete Carroll has made specific claims that injuries are down. He says specifically that this has helped him keep his best players on the field.

All of these professionals claim that injuries are down. USA Football, the premier organization for youth and high school football training, has been promoting a reduction of contact for years.

Of course it's a violent game. I love the violence. That doesn't mean it can't still be as safe as possible. The game won't survive otherwise.

I'm not sure of the current numbers around the country but know what's happening around here. The violence of the game has caused many parents to encourage their kids to play other sports. Locally, we've been bleeding numbers for quite awhile. Recently, we've seen things stabilize and now increase. I believe the conversation is changing with parents because the game has been evolving. The amount of training that football coaches need is way beyond any other sport. Smart practicing will save the sport.
    Insert something clever here...

I've gone to several coaching clinics, primarily the ones put on by UofO in Eugene and an annual Nike one in Portland. Universally, the attitude is that technique trumps brute force every time. I've seen coaches such as Mario Cristobal, David Shaw, Tommy Tuberville, Clay Helton, Tracy Claeys, Kevin Sumlin and a few other guys teach in clinics that a reduction of full contact drills and increased reps in fine-tuning technique or running of plays is more productive by a large margin.

I've also utilized some specific defensive training sessions published by the Seattle Seahawk. Using methods that became highly refined during their Legion of Boom era, they show better techniques that protect the body of the defender (the one most likely to be injured in a tackle) and provide more sure results. At several intervals, Pete Carroll has made specific claims that injuries are down. He says specifically that this has helped him keep his best players on the field.

All of these professionals claim that injuries are down. USA Football, the premier organization for youth and high school football training, has been promoting a reduction of contact for years.

Of course it's a violent game. I love the violence. That doesn't mean it can't still be as safe as possible. The game won't survive otherwise.

I'm not sure of the current numbers around the country but know what's happening around here. The violence of the game has caused many parents to encourage their kids to play other sports. Locally, we've been bleeding numbers for quite awhile. Recently, we've seen things stabilize and now increase. I believe the conversation is changing with parents because the game has been evolving. The amount of training that football coaches need is way beyond any other sport. Smart practicing will save the sport.
    What else would the coaches say? The injuries have increased and you shouldn't let your kids play?
    C'mon, man...every report that is credible has shown injuries have not decreased. I don't care what your "coaching" clinics say. They are biased to make it look like football is safe, obviously...why would coaches go around saying it's not?
    Independent studies, and NFL stats can show you that nothing has gotten better.

And of course 30 year old wussified generation parents don't want their kids to play football. Look around, they get upset if you use the wrong pronoun.

What else would the coaches say? The injuries have increased and you shouldn't let your kids play?
    C'mon, man...every report that is credible has shown injuries have not decreased. I don't care what your "coaching" clinics say. They are biased to make it look like football is safe, obviously...why would coaches go around saying it's not?
    Independent studies, and NFL stats can show you that nothing has gotten better.

And of course 30 year old wussified generation parents don't want their kids to play football. Look around, they get upset if you use the wrong pronoun.
    So.....what you seem to be saying is that less contact in practice absolutely does not result in fewer injuries.

Okay.

So.....what you seem to be saying is that less contact in practice absolutely does not result in fewer injuries.

Okay.
    does it result in fewer overall injuries during the season? no, it does not.
    It's still football.
    Look at the studies. Not listen to the coaches who get paid to coach football.
    Oh, we stopped hitting hard in practice, so injuries went down...cool, how does that relate to real games?

does it result in fewer overall injuries during the season? no, it does not.
    It's still football.
    Look at the studies. Not listen to the coaches who get paid to coach football.
    Oh, we stopped hitting hard in practice, so injuries went down...cool, how does that relate to real games?
    Okay, you've convinced me.

The notion that the football powers-that-be are all about a Focus on Safety! is ridiculous. Evidence? Artificial turf being the surface that even small high schools now are able to put in. Head injuries are MUCH about the speed of the colliders involved in the collision. Go back to grass fields..and I don't mean the current -grass-cut-like-a-putting-green grass surface (like Frisco.) I mean slow the players down with ankle-high grass...slower speeds, softer landings. I played on many fields cut like that in MN in the 80s. I now teach at an OK high school that graduates about 80 a year, and we've had a turf field for ten years. NOBODY, from HS to the NFL, wants to address the role that so many games played on turf have played in the so-called Concussion! and CTE! Era of football. Yes, I know the current turf fields are much softer than the Dacotah Field turf, but the current turf fields do NOT slow players down. Taller grass fields would, but this is NEVER discussed as a head injury preventative and for the life of me, I don't understand that.

AO1 Softball tonight.

where is Billy Turner & Christian Watson? they should be there... M Will too! (if i missed it, i apologize)
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?