Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The changing business of Collegiate Athletics

Default Re: The changing business of Collegiate Athletics

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Most non revenue sports actually lose money for athletic departments.
    How profound.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Well, how about we just call it, excess revenue?
    There is no excess revenue. There’s only the challenge of finding things to spend it on (preferably things that don’t include the employees who provide the entertainment and earn the revenue, but definitely includes my salary to the extent I can get away with it).
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    There is no excess revenue. There’s only the challenge of finding things to spend it on (preferably things that don’t include the employees who provide the entertainment and earn the revenue, but definitely includes my salary to the extent I can get away with it).
    So are Booker and Blumenthal just ignorant of the whole system then? Or is that "profit sharing" feature included in their proposal just as window dressing or something?

So are Booker and Blumenthal just ignorant of the whole system then? Or is that "profit sharing" feature included in their proposal just as window dressing or something?
    I would say the the writer and their editor at the newspaper don't know what profit means. The ESPN story says revenue sharing.

I don't know for sure but what i can piece together from looking at both stories it seems like the proposal is 50 percent revenue sharing with the value of scholarships included in the player's share. That would apply only to sports where revenues exceed 2x scholarships.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Booker is just plain ignorant. How people like him get put into positions of authority will never cease to amaze me.

I don't like the NCAA. I don't like this current culture in college athletics, I can transfer with no restriction, pay me my worth, me, me ,me. This type of legislation further forces professionalism onto college athletics. I love college sports, obviously, I am on an NDSU board right now. This increase of free transfers and paying players is a huge turn off to me. If I want to watch pros I'll turn on pro sports. in effect, college athletes are going to end up biting the hand that feeds them as people like me start tuning out college sports and withhold financial support. If they can force a hard core college sports fan like me away, that's going to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I would say the the writer and their editor at the newspaper don't know what profit means. The ESPN story says revenue sharing.

I don't know for sure but what i can piece together from looking at both stories it seems like the proposal is 50 percent revenue sharing with the value of scholarships included in the player's share. That would apply only to sports where revenues exceed 2x scholarships.
    So given your previous comment about finding places to spend imaginary excess do you suppose that if this proposal or something like it were to ever become law that these athletes would ever see any shared revenue beyond what they already receive?

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Booker is just plain ignorant. How people like him get put into positions of authority will never cease to amaze me.

I don't like the NCAA. I don't like this current culture in college athletics, I can transfer with no restriction, pay me my worth, me, me ,me. This type of legislation further forces professionalism onto college athletics. I love college sports, obviously, I am on an NDSU board right now. This increase of free transfers and paying players is a huge turn off to me. If I want to watch pros I'll turn on pro sports. in effect, college athletes are going to end up biting the hand that feeds them as people like me start tuning out college sports and withhold financial support. If they can force a hard core college sports fan like me away, that's going to be a problem.
    Not sure if I agree with your main thesis here or not. Have not made up my mind I guess because I don't know enough yet.

Regarding Corey Booker though I'll just point out that he played football at Stanford where he earned a BA and an MA. He then attended The Queens College in Oxford, England as a Rhodes Scholar and notched yet another MA. Then he earned a JD from Yale Law. He might be distastefully progressive or something but ignorant he ain't. Just sayin.

Not sure if I agree with your main thesis here or not. Have not made up my mind I guess because I don't know enough yet.

Regarding Corey Booker though I'll just point out that he played football at Stanford where he earned a BA and an MA. He then attended The Queens College in Oxford, England as a Rhodes Scholar and notched yet another MA. Then he earned a JD from Yale Law. He might be distastefully progressive or something but ignorant he ain't. Just sayin.
    You can be book smart as hell but still be ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post

I like some of Booker's progressive ideas, but other's are a bit too left for my taste. But I won't totally throw him under the bus. I like him, I just don't agree with him on many things

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Whether it's Booker or anyone else, unless they are either a performer or someone paying the bill for the perfomer to appear it's not their affair. Just because someone says stick your nose in it , doesn't mean you should. If you are going to advocate change do it the level of the participants not a legislature looking for votes. If "minor leagues " are viable start a minor league.