Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The changing business of Collegiate Athletics

Default The changing business of Collegiate Athletics

The College Athlete Bill of Rights, proposed Thursday by co-authors Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., and Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., would create sweeping changes for college sports, including provisions that would force some schools to share revenue with some of their athletes, guarantee lifetime scholarships to athletes in good academic standing, establish health and safety rules enforced by hefty fines for violators, and set up a fund to cover some out-of-pocket medical expenses for current and former athletes.
    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...college-sports

Here is another take on this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1775542.html
    Last edited by GreenfieldBison; 12-17-2020 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Add Independent article link

Default Re: The changing business of Collegiate Athletics

And there is this - NCAA passes blanket waiver allowing all D1 transfers to compete immediately.

https://twitter.com/InsidetheNCAA/st...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    And there is this - NCAA passes blanket waiver allowing all D1 transfers to compete immediately.

Given the pandemic, I think it's a fair deal. Heck this season is basically a free season of eligibility anyways. Most teams nationally can't afford an extra scholarship year when they haven't budgeted for it. So you'll see more players left out of a full ride just based on raw numbers. The power 5 schools have unlimited money but the G5, FCS, D2, and D3 teams can't all afford this

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

If this legislation passes and is enforced it'll be a bloodbath for non-revenue sports, and the athletic careers for the students that play them, at the collegiate level.

I can understand the reasoning behind it and there are parts of it I agree with but I hope people realize that it's going to hurt more college student-athletes than it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    If this legislation passes and is enforced it'll be a bloodbath for non-revenue sports, and the athletic careers for the students that play them, at the collegiate level.

I can understand the reasoning behind it and there are parts of it I agree with but I hope people realize that it's going to hurt more college student-athletes than it helps.
    I wish people could understand the difference between revenue and profit. (in terms of revenue sharing, not your use of it)

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    I wish people could understand the difference between revenue and profit. (in terms of revenue sharing, not your use of it)
    Most non revenue sports actually lose money for athletic departments. They cost more than they take in. Good example is NDSU softball. The weather sucks so bad, they only get a handful of home games and the max capacity is like 500. Traditionally they would draw under 100 people per game. Meanwhile they fly everywhere and stay at hotels. No TV deal money. No big guarantees from opponents. No merchandise sales. The players get full ride scholarships with full cost of attendance. Big money loser and cash drain.

College teams rarely if ever profit. They use their TV revenues as a way to increase their spending.

Now if you only had mens basketball and football... you would probably see athletic departments turn profits. TV revenue. Merchandise sales. Sponsorship's. Ticket sales. Those 2 sports essentially fund everything else. This is true at the higher levels.

If we want to make some moderate growth, getting our WBB program to a point where they can draw 1500 a game would be a big financial boost to our entire athletic department. Instead of losing money... generate revenue to reduce losses or grow the budget

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post

Im shocked!!!!
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    I wish that people could understand that the concept of profit is not relevant to organizations that aren’t allowed to make profits.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I wish that people could understand that the concept of profit is not relevant to organizations that aren’t allowed to make profits.
    I suppose its technically more like a non profit. You gotta spend your profits

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Well, how about we just call it, excess revenue?
    Don't believe everything you think.