Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUU mulling an offer to go to the WAC

Default SUU mulling an offer to go to the WAC

Apparently interested in leaving the Big Sky for WAC. Previously they said they needed to sponsor football.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Default Re: SUU mulling an offer to go to the WAC

I've heard plenty of rumors around the WAC becoming an FCS league. They may raid the Southland for schools like Sam Houston St, Abilene Christian, and Stephen F Austin. They'd be looking at recent transitions Tarleton St and Dixie St. Then also perhaps pulling in a few Big Sky schools like Northern Arizona and Weber St. Maybe U of San Diego would also consider moving to a scholarship league?

I read something within the last couple days that made it sound like the WAC as an FCS league pulling schools from Southland big sky etc was all but a done deal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ya, this is correct.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I read something within the last couple days that made it sound like the WAC as an FCS league pulling schools from Southland big sky etc was all but a done deal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    On a serious note, raiding Big Sky teams so the cup cake schedule many get would be good for FCS football.

On the less serious note, letting the FBS conference stuff go really hurts Sioux Volley's plan for UN_ to conquer the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    On a serious note, raiding Big Sky teams so the cup cake schedule many get would be good for FCS football.

On the less serious note, letting the FBS conference stuff go really hurts Sioux Volley's plan for UN_ to conquer the universe.
    I hadn't thought about that but you're right. If they raid the Big Sky of a few crap teams it could be good for that conference and quality of football.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If I were the BIG SKY Commish, I would throw some encouragement at SUU by reaching out to SUU and publicly saying . . .

"If you goto the WAC, you can keep your football in the Big Sky for upto 2 additional years, unless the WAC has a football option available to you sooner. We think that building another western conference is a good thing for DI and FCS football, and we support you in this move".

___

Bottom line, this helps the Big Sky and SUU in the geography and cost battle. BSC needs to throw some support to SUU, and that support might get another 1 or 2 schools to bite.

The Big Sky would probably like to see the following move to the WAC for football. SUU, UNC, Poly, Davis
    That would leave: Idaho, Idaho State, Eastern WA, MT, MT State, Weber, Portland St, Sac State, NAU

For NAU, the geography of the WAC would also work well.

Craig Haley
    @CraigHaley

Matt has been on top of the WAC developments.

Matt Brown
    @MattBrownEP
    · Dec 7

Hearing that the WAC's official additions of Southern Utah, Sam Houston State, Lamar, Abilene Christian and Stephen F Austin will be finalized in the next two-ish weeks.
    So, if this all comes together, what happens with the Southland?
    Currently at 11 teams (football). 13 teams basketball

Interesting thoughts in previous posts. It does sound good to have another Western FCS conference. And what a potential “gift” to the Big Sky. (Just think, at one time they could have had NDSU-SDSU instead of who they ended up adding).

But the Big Sky commish has also talked in the past of being a mega-conference (16 teams iirc) and being THEE Western FCS conference. This sounds more like contraction (if other teams followed). Makes sense geographically......Will Northern Arizona really consider this? San Diego? Big Sky has always liked it’s California connection - recruiting & all (tv, population, student recruitment etc). But what do Poly & Davis want?

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    But the Big Sky commish has also talked in the past of being a mega-conference (16 teams iirc) and being THEE Western FCS conference.
    That was the idea of Doug Fullerton, who retired in 2016. They are on their 2nd commissioner since then (3rd if you count interim). Of note, the lady following Fullerton is now COO of the College Football Playoffs.